The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
breakingnews
Q_Q

taipei

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello from the other side of the world (well, the end opposite of New York City). I arrived in Taipei two weeks ago and have been having a good time so far.

How I got here ... I wish I could explain it myself. Went through a rough patch this spring: split up with a few friends, saw others move to new places, had this disastrous episode with my best friend getting his girlfriend of a month pregnant. Also had my heart busted into a million pieces (not fun). And work - I just wasn't happy there and fell into complacency, and that gave birth to this unrelenting guilt about the lack of direction in my life, yadda yadda, etc. Your typical quarterlife crisis stuff, I suppose.

So, I quit my job a few weeks ago, packed up and came to Taiwan to improve my Chinese (one of the things I was feeling guilty about, never having learned well my parents' own language). It's been okay. Taipei is great: There is sooooooooo much great food to eat here, and the city constantly hums with this frenetic energy that is so exhausting yet oddly addictive. There are people everywhere all the time, always doing strange and peculiar things. I felt like such a small fish in Manhattan; but Taipei truly makes you seem the size of an ant.

I have been here several times before, so the sights and smells are not unfamiliar. Eating whole fish and duck heads is not strange, seeing Chinese writing everywhere is not intimidating and the etiquette (or lack of) is not startling. However, what's starting to sink in is the fact that I'm here for the foreseeable future, that I am not on vacation and won't return to all my friends and routine comforts in a few days, weeks or even months. There reason I am here is to overcome the language barrier. My daily challenge is not to get too discouraged. When someone sees I am of Chinese/Taiwanese descent, he expects me to speak like a native; when it becomes apparent that I cannot, a look of disgust or ridicule is not unexpected. It's a very humbling experience.

I start Chinese classes in early September at ShiDa (Nat'l Taiwan Normal Univ), and I'll be working part-time at a medical supply company, thanks to my dad's connections (yes, this is a VERY humbling experience). I'm living with my mom's younger sister and her family - when I get a chance, I'll post photos of our gorgeous view from the 13th floor.

I wish I had more to say right now - I've sort of spaced out and can't recall much of what I've done/seen/eaten over the past weeks. OH, for you sushi lovers: Last Saturday we went to Donggang, in the southern part of the island, where they host Taiwan's tuna festival every May/June. The toro was un-fucking-believable. Literally melts in your mouth like a slab of soft butter, and so full of that tender, juicy tuna goodness. Sigh, the 20 pounds I dropped this year will certainly return with haste, I've decided.

Any questions? Fire away! I've never seen people eating roasted bugs or spiders here (re: IOTD), but if I see anything truly extraordinary, I'll report asap.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
ashke
Don't look at me!

Oh cool... Been to the night markets yet? Quite fun if you're looking for somewhere to stroll around...

Jia you to your Chinese learning!
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Remember to have fun while you're doing this! It might be a good idea to journal while you're there to try to keep things in focus.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Ibby
erika

I highly recommend not going to the Shilin market, though, if youre hitting the markets, its overpriced and overcrowded. Ask around a bit and you can find some much better shopping.

And give Yangminshan a hike, its a fun hike, there's even a really nice waterfall/relaxing pool I can give you directions to, though its a bit of a hike outta TianMu.

Though I disagree about the New York thing... Having lived in both Honk Kong and Beijing previously, I would say that Taipei is like the halfway point... the size and scale of Beijing, but the westernization and smaller feel of HK.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
I would say that Taipei is like the halfway point... the size and scale of Beijing, but the westernization and smaller feel of HK.
Very true. I haven't yet been to HK (hopefully soon!) - I hear that place is nuts.

I handle cities just fine, but I'd much prefer the mountains. Odd how I ended up in a city that is more crowded than NY.

I'm horrible about keeping a journal. I've tried so many times, but it just doesn't work. Just don't have the ability to commit to it for some reason. I set up a new blog instead ... I don't like blogs but typing on a computer is so easy and fluid for me that I'd likely more often use that instead.

We live just south of ShiDa - I hear the night market there is probably the best in the city. But I've seen enough night markets. What I need are pubs and some hot Taiwanese chicks.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sounds fascinating - pictures, pictures and more pictures please!

And plenty of detail about food & drink on sale (with prices). Its the minutae that interests me - sometimes I think that's where you feel the most difference.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
breakingnews
Q_Q

this is a quick panoram i did of the view from our balcony. um, the exposure lock didn't set properly. i'll do it again when the weather is decent, maybe use a tripod too.

this is facing ... northwest-ish. we live in the southern end of the city; the central area is just past the hill in the middle-ground. the tower in the distance, taipei 101, is the empire state building of taiwan and sits at the corner of the city's times square.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
Ibby
erika

Seriously, if you're a mountain person, go up to Zhongshan Bei Lu section 7. From the upper end of sec. 7 you can go right into the mountain.

Or, you could take a weekend and make your way to Hualien... the one road between Taipei and Hualien goes right along the coast...
and the mountains go STRAIGHT to the water.
It's a beautiful drive, especially if you have time to hit Taroko gorge while youre down Hualien way.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
breakingnews
Q_Q

Yeah, I've never been down the east coast. I plan to hit all the major stops - Ilan, Hualian, Taitung, Lu Dao, Lan Yu. At some point, I'd like to tackle some of the mountains. I've been to Alishan. No idea what kind of grade the other peaks are like - I know places like Yu Shan are pretty serious, but I've only asked my mom, and she doesn't know much about outdoor stuff.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
BN amazing shots. Don't swaet the auto exposure probs. We get the picture. Cool.

Have fun, hey maybe Ibram can skip out of school as your tour guide.

(Trying my best to help keep you out of school, Ibram.)
Old 08-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
So, I quit my job a few weeks ago, packed up and came to Taiwan .... My daily challenge is not to get too discouraged. When someone sees I am of Chinese/Taiwanese descent, he expects me to speak like a native; when it becomes apparent that I cannot, a look of disgust or ridicule is not unexpected. It's a very humbling experience.
Very impressive BkN. That's really the only way to get enough time off for a long pleasure/exploration trip for Americans. Save your cash, quit and then just go!

As for the language situation, I've had the exact same thing happen in England.

Have a great time man. Watch the sweet meat.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
I set up a new blog instead ... I don't like blogs but typing on a computer is so easy and fluid for me that I'd likely more often use that instead.
Typing while hooked to the Cellar is easy and something you're experienced at. Then you can gather up your posts and write the great Chinese-American novel.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #13
breakingnews
Q_Q

OK I know this isn't a photo of Taipei, but I took it saturday morning at the Botannical Gardens. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Last edited by breakingnews; 08-27-2006 at 09:51 PM.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
breakingnews
Q_Q

And here's one of Taipei 101 at night, although it's kinda dark. We were out late. It doesn't look very tall, does it?? But it's currently the world's tallest building, although soon to be eclipsed by the new project in Bali and possibly whatever replaces the WTC.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #15
breakingnews
Q_Q

This is the Lin Antai homestead, Taipei's oldest residence. Built in the 1780s by one of Taiwan's richest families, it was to be demolished in 1960-something to make way for a highway. Locals petitioned to have it preserved, the house was finally moved - piece by piece - to its current location in Yuan Shan.

It has 30 rooms and is hot as a motherfucker.