The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-14-2002, 12:21 PM   #1
mhaw
Pithy Euphemist

black hawk down dvd

I just got the new black hawk down dvd, I was rather disappointed with the lack of special features and options that typically accompany Ridley Scott's dvds... does anyone know if they are expecting a signature edition or something along this line?
mhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

A special edition will probably come out in 6 months...then a limited collectors edition next year.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:50 PM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

...then a special boxed set, then a special edition boxed set, then a collectors edition special collectors collection platinum boxed set. it goes on like this forever.

seriously tho, i searched and couldnt find any hint of a special edition. but that doesnt mean too much.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:00 AM   #4
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
...then a special boxed set...
...which will come out 2 days after YOU buy the original DVD.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:05 AM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

...which will come out 2 days after YOU buy the original DVD.
exactly.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Nic Name
retired

Columbia Releases Black Hawk Down: SE statement.

Official confirmation of a Special Edition is here. Read away for all of the details.

April 15, 2002 - Columbia TriStar just sent along an email about the upcoming Black Hawk Down Special Edition that's in the works, and here's the information:

"As announced last week, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is releasing "Black Hawk Down" on DVD and videocassette on June 11. In addition, CTHE and director Ridley Scott are in the process of creating a special-edition DVD of the critically acclaimed film. In addition to the film itself and a behind-the scenes documentary, both of which are included on the June 11 DVD, this new special edition of "Black Hawk Down" will feature a wide range of added-value elements, including a feature-length commentary by Mr. Scott and other behind-the-scenes material that bring new insight into this important film.

The release date for the special-edition DVD of "Black Hawk Down" will be announced in the future."

There you have it. A Special Edition is on the way, so you can all rest easy.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
elSicomoro

So there you go mhaw...wait a few months.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:12 PM   #8
thebecoming
Drawn Druid

Great movie...my regret is not seeing it in the theatre.

A question though....Why the hell didnt we wipe mogudishu off the map after that situation? I was jus wonderin...and I know that would be convicting the innocent civies for the actions of a militia that we were trying to get rid off in the first place.

But seemed like a good idea to me.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
thebecoming
Drawn Druid

Hiya all,
Thought I add this in. It's the website with all the info from the actual events that took plack on oct 3, 1993.
I find it amazing that Ridley Scott and his crew took so much liberty with the way things actually transpired. But thats movie magic isnt it?

http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/.../default16.asp

Its by the author of "Black Hawk Down" , Mark Bowden.
Also it has alot of actual quotes from soldiers involved and some vidcaps.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:24 PM   #10
Scred
Wharf Rat

Quote:
Originally posted by thebecoming
I find it amazing that Ridley Scott and his crew took so much liberty with the way things actually transpired. But thats movie magic isnt it?
people close to the events in mogadishu were pretty damned happy with how the movie came out. this is a bit of a letter written by one of the pilots involved in the altercation.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bl...tei.net&rnum=1

"First of all, I and many of my friends that also flew on the mission thought that the movie was excellent! It is technically accurate and it is dramatically correct. In other words, the equipment, lingo and dialogue are all right on. By dramatically correct, I mean that it very effectively captured the emotions and tension that we all felt during the mission. It did this without being a cartoon, (like TOP GUN) or being over the top, (like FIREBIRDS). It's true that the screenwriters had to consolidate two or three people into one, but this was necessary because otherwise there would have been too many principal characters to keep track of. Also in the actual mission we had nearly 20 aircraft in the air that day. In the movie they had 4 Blackhawks and 4 "Little Birds". The unit could not afford to commit the actual number to the filming of the movie. However, through the magic of the cinema, they were able to give the impression of the real number. "

a full read of the linked message is quite interesting if you're looking for details on what went down in october 1993.
Scred is offline   Reply With Quote