The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-03-2002, 09:31 AM   #1
LordSludge
Geek

Smile New kitten!

We just adopted another cat -- a little stray kitten without a home. I found her sleeping/hiding on the front tire of my car. When it started storming last night, I just had to take her in. She's very playful and friendly; she even used her litter box. Here are some pics (bottom of 1st and top of 2nd pages):
http://www.jerry.malsam.com/Misc/?album=Loki&

The existing cat, Loki, does NOT like the new kitten at all (hiss, growl, etc.), so we have to keep them seperate for now. We're going to have "supervised visitation" tonight to try to introduce them to each other.

Any suggestions for getting an existing "only cat" accustomed to a newcomer?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
dave

Yeah. Let the "only cat" establish its dominance. They're going to fight some, so it's best to let it happen while you're around - that way if it gets too bad, you can break it up. Loki needs to know that he/she is in charge. Once he/she does that, he/she should be more tolerant of having the other cat around.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:44 AM   #3
dave

Oh yeah! I forgot - make sure you still show Loki plenty of love. Spend lots of time with him/her. No reason to make him/her jealous - they'll just be more likely to act up that way.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:54 PM   #4
LordSludge
Geek

Sure, I'm playing w/ Loki more than usual + petting + kitty treats, etc. Makes sense about the dominance thing, too. I'll scout around and see what more I can dig up on this. Thanks!

One thing I didn't even think about was that the stray might have diseases, most notibly feline lieukemia or FIV (kinda like cat HIV), that Loki, being an indoor-only cat, would be particularly suceptible to. I have a friend w/ 3 cats. Two of em got FIV -- one died and the other will die if it ever gets sick. Pretty sad situation.

Anyhow, I took the newbie to the vet today for shots, etc., and they're doing blood tests to check on the FIV, etc. -- just in case! I won't hear back about the results until Friday, so Loki will just have to wait to meet her new little friend / mortal enemy. I'll try to take & post pics as it could be kinda funny...
Old 07-06-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
thebecoming
Drawn Druid

Feline HIV....interesting. Never had I even thought about something like that.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:56 PM   #6
oozaboo
Person Who Has Posted

Maybe not a wise technique...

My husband and I have a cat named Cleo and one day decided to get another cat, whom we called Otis.

Otis was twice the size of Cleo, but immediately took to everyone and everything he saw. Cleo, on the other hand had nothing but contempt for the intruding cat and followed him constantly, hissing and growling.

After a month of this kind of activity we had had enough. We were talking to a friend about the situation and he facetiously suggested shutting both cats in the bathroom overnight. We were just crazy enough to try it and miraculously it was a success. The two of them were best of friends after that.

Actually, Otis ate too many looney muffins and we had to give him to someone else, but that is another story.

-case
oozaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Oh yeah! I forgot - make sure you still show Loki plenty of love. Spend lots of time with him/her. No reason to make him/her jealous - they'll just be more likely to act up that way.
Exactly. Always feed the existing cat first. Always greet the existing cat first. Make sure the existing cat understands who is "Top Cat".
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:23 AM   #8
headsplice
Relaxed

One of my five (5!) roommates decided that he would bring his bitchass cat from home to our place last weekend. Now, his cat eats my cat's food, drinks my cat's water, and isn't all that friendly (to my cat). Any suggestions besides throwing them in the shower together?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by headsplice
One of my five (5!) roommates decided that he would bring his bitchass cat from home to our place last weekend. Now, his cat eats my cat's food, drinks my cat's water, and isn't all that friendly (to my cat). Any suggestions besides throwing them in the shower together?
barbecue.

i dunno, maybe provide separate food dishes in places inaccessible to the other cat? like keep your cats food in your room while your roommate keeps his cats food in his room. when casey and i got a second cat, we actually just got a larger food bowl and made sure to fill it about twice as often. i assume your roommate is willing to share in the cost of food. that might not work if either cat is real territorial though. thats when you break out the super soakers.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 04:42 PM   #10
headsplice
Relaxed

This is really twisted

barbeque?

Some people are REALLY REALLY sick
apologies to the farkers out there who've already read this