The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-06-2002, 03:55 PM   #16
CyclopONE
Regulator of Squalor

Quote:
Originally posted by kbarger
Actually, this is similar to something that was in "The Diamond Age," by Neal Stephenson. One of the characters had nanotech implants in his body that constantly stimulated his muscles to build up more strength. (This was Nell & Harv's dad, who gets killed near the beginning of the book.)
Interesting. I'm going to run over to Amazon and buy this book. I finished reading "Snow Crash" a couple of months ago, and I thought it was a *great* book. I have a paperback copy of "Cryptonomicon", but I haven't gotten around to reading it (full time college student).

Oh man, I tickle at the thought of a movie version of "Snow Crash". The Metaverse in glorious hollywood-strength CGI.

-Cyc
Old 02-07-2002, 08:52 AM   #17
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

You wanna talk about crap that sells? http://www.alexchiu.com/eternallife/index.html I don't know anyone that has paid money, but many people were advertising for him a while back. He had (may still have) a program that would earn you a free Immortality Ring if you did some advertising. Every 3rd geek had a .sig that said, "LIVE FOREVER!"
On a similar note, I think Marylin vos Savant had a pretty good answer this past Sunday (she has a column in the Sunday "Parade Magazine" insert in many national papers) to the question of immortality. She weighed the possibility of famine, disease, war, starvation, and most anything else unpleasant against living forever. I think her answer was that she would not enjoy immortality because there's always the possibility of living forever in complete unhappines. That goes double for me.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:04 AM   #18
dave

Plus, you would miss out on pie heaven!
Old 02-07-2002, 01:03 PM   #19
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i agree with that. and there would be technological advances and whatnot, but i'd be too afraid of getting bored.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 01:22 PM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Mmmm, pie heaven... pumpkin... boston cream... key lime... apple...

Getting bored: omg, good point. Never thought of that.

Although maybe in another five lifetimes, one could work out what people are really all about. Understanding women, huh, there's a five-lifetime project.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 01:34 PM   #21
dave

Ha! Tony is funny

Personally, I wouldn't mind being immortal, so long as I wasn't in jail or something. It'd be kinda neat, I think. Play with all the toys, do all sorts of fun things. I don't think I'd get bored. Besides, your love interests would constantly be getting old and dying, so you could just find another cute girl every couple decades and, uh, "have fun" that way
Old 02-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #22
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

D - That's immor<b>T</b>al. You might be getting them confused.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 02:53 PM   #23
dave

Nah. Immortality == new woman at least every 60-70 years.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:14 PM   #24
Torrere
a real smartass

Being immortal?

I'm afraid of how "out of date" I'd become. Imagine spending eternity watching a world totally different from the one you were raised in. Imagine a world that becomes more alien to you with every passing day.

Imagine being relegated to sitting on a bench on a busy street, sighing wistfully about how spoiled the children are now, about how things were when you were a child and having the youth of the day listen to you with cute faces showing distaste and lacking comprehension of your words. How would you describe our lives to them?

That's how I sometimes think our human relics must feel, brought up in their times, what I might even consider a primitive world, living in our modern world.

I just keep envisioning tattered old bones resting on a bench by a dusty street. Immortality would be horrible.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:07 PM   #25
Nic Name
retired

Yoda, the ancient and revered Jedi Master. Nine hundred years old,
Yoda had trained Jedi for eight centuries, and was very powerful in the Force.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote