The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Going Postal

Have you ever felt yourself going losing it??

(I mean in the mental health sense, not in the virginity sense.)

I have. Earlier this morning. All day in fact. It seems to be receding. I think.

I'm not going to bore you with the details of certain incidents that have brought this feeling to a head. (More accurately, I'm not going to slather these incidents all over the Internet.) However I can summarize by saying that I've developed feelings of increasing ineffectualness. Little that I do (at home or at work) seems to have any positive or negative effect on anyone else. I seem to be ranked very low on a lot of priority lists. So why should I bother? Perhaps I should just crawl back in my bubble (figuratively) and not even bother.

Or perhaps I should just lash out violently and enact my frustration in an outwardly visible way. I could probably make the 6:00 news.

Or.... what???
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Yes. Just earlier today. It's quite common for me.

Earlier I used to cure my problems by playing computer games. I would visualize the "bad guys" as the "monsters" and slaughter them, endlessly.

Sometimes I'd rename the bots in games with the names of ppl I HATED. It made killing them so much more refreshing.

I'm damn good at games...
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
dave

You play Q3?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
FileNotFound

I hate Q3.

I know that this will break your heart, but I can't stand that game. ID should stick to making game engines.

The physics are a joke, the pace is absurd and the rocket launcher does nothing.

My favourite FPS of all time is Sin
Old 11-14-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
dave

The rocket launcher actually does 100 damage on a direct hit plus decent splash. A max of 51 to the wielder, it can be useful for getting your speed up to over 3x the normal running speed, which is important in the mod I play, CTF.

It doesn't break my heart. I didn't write the game. And I can sit here smugly knowing that you don't actually know what you're talking about, so you don't have a real opinion on it anyway.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #6
FileNotFound

First of all, a real rocket launcher should have FAR more splash damage than the q3 RL.

Second, if the bast is enough to increase your speed more than three times of the 5000mph speed at which chars move in Q3, you should be DEAD.

Good Launcher examples:

Half Life

Sin

Duke Nukem

UT (not 2003)

Quake 2 was ok....it had FAR more splash.

So I do know what I'm talking about. Your suggestion of using the rocket launcher as a means to increase your speed suggest that you are in fact confused. The "rocket jump" was an "oops" from the start as was the "bunny hop" Neither should be seen as "features".
Sin combated both of these issues. The gun you used to "jump" fired plasma in a stream and you pretty much used it as a jetpack.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Damn, he just got here and he's already hijacking threads!!

(What is with the influx of newbies? Did you post another ad somewhere, UT?)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:32 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, nothing this month!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Steve, step back from the situations for a minute. Sounds like you need some serious Steve time. So, take some time out for yourself...go for a walk, go for a drive, go hang out with a friend or friends.

Think about what's wrong at home and at work. Are these issues temporary or long-term? Try to come up with ways that you can rectify your misery...what can you do on your own? What do you need or desire from others? Flesh it out on paper if you need to.

Hope that helps.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:15 PM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

I WANT TO SCREAM AND HIT SOMETHING!$@)@!

How is it that I still don't have a job?

I called Ryan at the camera store whom I interviewed with two days ago. I was so certain that I was going to get the job. He told me that he didn't have any decisions in the area (does this mean that he hasn't decided or that he doesn't have the authority to decidde?), but he would \keep my application on file\.

Keep my application on file? What the hell! The application isn't going to provide any impetus. Why is everybody such a wuss? Why am I still such a wuss? Why do they pretend to be concerned with applications when, as I've discovered recently, the application doesn't do anything? Why did the bookstore (and so many other places) hang up "Now Hiring!" signs for months while they dithered and eventually decided "oh, we don't really want to hire /anybody/!" "We're so busy, we haven't had time to look at applications yet" -- what a pathetic phrase! And how often heard!

GABH!
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
So I do know what I'm talking about. Your suggestion of using the rocket launcher as a means to increase your speed suggest that you are in fact confused.
No. The standard movement is 320 units per second (ups) running in Q3. With a combination of rocket jumps and strafe jumps, one can easily push 1000ups on normal levels and over 3000ups on levels designed for running. If by "confused" you mean "dead-on with regards to essentially everything Quake 3 related", then yes, I am, in fact, confused.

The "bunny hop"/strafe jump and rocket jumps are indeed "bugs" in the sense that they were unintended, as is the fact that frames per second affects your jumping height. They're also bugs in the sense that id has known about them for 6 and 7 years, respectively, and has not fixed them (and has even re-introduced them in subsequent versions of the games).

The fact of the matter is that the rocket launcher can indeed be used to increase speed when fired into a close wall. I have been playing competetive Q3 for nearly four years now, just got done a competetive match, and have every idea what I am talking about.

Quote:
Neither should be seen as "features".
Says who? The people that like slow paced, boring games? Yes, if my reaction time were in the kiloseconds, I suppose I might care about that too. As it is, part of the greatness of Q3 is that it forces quick decisions and strong teamwork (in team based mods, anyway).

Quote:
Sin combated both of these issues. The gun you used to "jump" fired plasma in a stream and you pretty much used it as a jetpack.
Oh yeah, that's so much more realistic! Plasma climbing is a possibility in Q3 as well, though one must be near a wall to do it.

I haven't played the other games enough to comment fully on them, but UT's rocket launcher was one of the most awful weapon designs unleashed upon a game. Perhaps that's part of the reason why there are still $40,000 cash prizes for competetive Q3 but no one holds large scale UT tournaments?
Old 11-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #12
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Re: Going Postal

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
Have you ever felt yourself going losing it??

(I mean in the mental health sense, not in the virginity sense.)

Or.... what???
Yes, last week, I have. I was struck with the arrows of outrageuos human and group stupidity....thought seriously about quitting my job....

Must've been a work issue...,eh...

Don't take it seriously....Have a beer and chill out...and I'll have one for you ...
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:42 AM   #13
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

newbie advice

go somewhere and be mad - scream or hit stuff or whatever. Just do it alone. It is very important to let your feelings out and then figure out their roots. Then follow all the other good advice in this thread. And rest assured that you will be very hight on peoples priority lists in prison if you go postal.

And dave - you are a know-it-all dick - if you know so much, then why don't you help this poor guy in his thread rather than more of the same boring self-aggrandizing babble? Are you really impressing anyone? Does it make you feel like a big man to try to put eveyone down? If so then you are truly pathetic, and should consider walking away from your sole friend the computer for at least an hour a day.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:59 AM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
Damn, he just got here and he's already hijacking threads!!

(What is with the influx of newbies? Did you post another ad somewhere, UT?)
are they REALLY newbies?

seems like a lot of multi handle members in here

filenot found is legit, as are tonsky and jinx, but who knows about the rest?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:32 AM   #15
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Re: newbie advice

Quote:
Originally posted by insoluble
<snip>And dave - you are a know-it-all dick - if you know so much, then why don't you help this poor guy in his thread rather than more of the same boring self-aggrandizing babble? Are you really impressing anyone? Does it make you feel like a big man to try to put eveyone down? If so then you are truly pathetic, and should consider walking away from your sole friend the computer for at least an hour a day.&lt/snip>
Yer an ass.

You haven't been here long enough to make a judgement like that about Dave.

Besides... putting down everyone is my job, not Dave's. Get it right, clown.