The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #316
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I have a question on bicycle upkeep. Do you:

1) Replace the chain with a new one after X miles to prevent the cassette from wearing down as well or...

2) Wait until the chain starts to slip and replace both the chain and cassette because they both wear at the same rate and a new chain on an old cassette will simply degrade the new chain and they'll both have to be replaced, anyways?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #317
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
I have a question on bicycle upkeep. Do you:

1) Replace the chain with a new one after X miles to prevent the cassette from wearing down as well or...

2) Wait until the chain starts to slip and replace both the chain and cassette because they both wear at the same rate and a new chain on an old cassette will simply degrade the new chain and they'll both have to be replaced, anyways?
Yes.

Seriously, option 1) brings up the following thoughts:

What wears out the chain/ freewheel? Metal on metal friction? Your herculean strength putting tension on the chain and then transferring that to the cog? (i.e. plain old use) Particles of dirt?

All of the above to varying degrees, but it is the grit and dirt that will cause the most rapid wear. The point of the lube is to reduce metal on metal friction, but you want a lube that will not gather dust (or moss). There is a plethora of lube available. No aspersions on your heculean strength, but I doubt that will make much difference in your chain "stretching". Your chain will elongate, mostly from the wear within the links. When that happens, you get skipping problems since the links are now spaced differently from the teeth of the cogs.

The cogs also will change their shape somewhat due to grinding and a slight peening over of the metal. (Your H.S.)

Option 2) When the chain starts to slip or skip, it is time to replace both elements since often they both wear out at about the same rate. Another thing that is fairly common is a drivetrain that will be working fine, the customer installs a new chain for some reason. (dirty, ugly, needs the *new* cool one, sticky link, etc.) and all of a sudden the thing starts slipping like mad. The previous chain and cog had some kind of affinity, I'm thinking they had worn together, but the new chain won't work with the old cog.

That's why we mostly told people to get a new freewheel at the same time. The old cog won't wear out a new chain as far as I know.

More than likely, it's just the cogs you use the most that will wear out quickest. Some freewheels allow you to selectively replace bad cogs.

I only start replacing those things as they wear out and start skipping. When I was a mechanic, I endlessly tweaked my bike. After a while of fixing people's amazingly run down bikes, I began to relax a bit and realize that my bike isn't going to last a whole lot longer by the endless tweaking, I certainly would never recover the value of my time vs the savings on parts, so I just let some things ride until they really need fixing. Freewheels and chains are two of those things.

keep it lubed, but not wet. I like Superlube, it comes in a gray can. Goes on quite gloopy and dries almost immediately. http://www.super-lube.com/
Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #318
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Don't know where this belongs, but I just saw the weirdest contraption at lunch today. It was some kind of bike, being ridden by four or five people. They sat around it facing each other and all of them were pedalling. The damn thing was always about a block away from me as I was walking on the sidewalk, so I never got a close look. It almost looked like a bunch of people sitting around a small table, riding down the street. The two people on the sides were facing in from the side, so they had to turn their heads to look in the direction they were travelling. Then the two people in back were facing forward. It wasn't very fast. Looked kind of awkward to pedal. They were pedalling like crazy, but it was always just slightly ahead of me. So it travelled at about a joggers speed.

Crazy. Have any of you heard of such a thing? It looked like a professionally manufactured thing, not like something thrown together by someone in a garage. Very strange. I wish I got a closer look.
Who knew?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #319
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

While we're at it, here's one that could easily live in WTF?!

RevoPower Wheel! I want one.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #320
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

How is your wrist, Griff?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #321
Griff
still says videotape

I can move my fingers pretty well now without much pain. I still have to avoid turning it and once in a while I'll make a mistake and try to use it and it hurts pretty good. The road rash is healing up nicely. thanks g
Old 07-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #322
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
The road rash is healing up nicely. thanks g
What? No pictures? What kind of a train wreck are you, how are we supposed to gawk?

Old 07-15-2006, 11:54 PM   #323
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
While we're at it, here's one that could easily live in WTF?!

RevoPower Wheel! I want one.
On their list of potential buyers they list;
Quote:
Close to 2 million drivers lose their licenses each year because of DUIs or other traffice violations. *For the period of their license suspension, each of these people represents a potential RevoPower customer.
That wheel makes your bike a motor vehicle, meaning plates, inspection, insurance and motorcycle license.....duh.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #324
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
On their list of potential buyers they list; That wheel makes your bike a motor vehicle, meaning plates, inspection, insurance and motorcycle license.....duh.
Close -- they don't get inspected or have to show plates, but I was surprised to find that in most states you still have to have a valid DL!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #325
Griff
still says videotape

Nothing to dramatic.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #326
Griff
still says videotape

and shoulder
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #327
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Oooohh, a blue cast. Glad you're making progress. Thnxs for the update.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #328
Griff
still says videotape

Well, I could've gotten hot pink but I think there are job interviews in my future...
Old 07-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #329
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Close -- they don't get inspected or have to show plates, but I was surprised to find that in most states you still have to have a valid DL!
PA requires a moped plate, insurance and class c drivers license but no inspection if it's a;
Quote:
MOPED
DEFINITION: A motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals, a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour, or an electric motor-driven cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery.
Aside ~ Motorized scooters
Quote:
Motorized scooters are a two wheeled vehicle that is powered by an engine or an electric motor and does not have a seat or saddle for the driver. These vehicles are not exempt from titling and registration requirements as set forth by the Department and would be required to pass equipment standards and inspection requirements. However, these type of vehicles do not comply with the equipment standards and inspection requirements for motor vehicles and cannot be titled or registered within the Commonwealth. In addition, these vehicles cannot be operated on Pennsylvania roadways or sidewalks.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #330
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Griff, are you able to use it as an excuse for omitting some items on the honey-do list?