The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #91
anonymous
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post

I kill me.
Forget Merc. I'm going to kill YOU!
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #92
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I can feel there's a whole lotta love in the room right now.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #93
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yes, it's a natural result of being trolled and triangulated.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #94
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I still don't understand about monster being a bully, and I gave up trying to figure that one out.
Because you're right, Sam, she's not.

Arbitrary labels come and go so quickly around here.

Such a crap thread.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #95
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well excuse me all for creating such a crap thread.

Merc's name came up a few times recently in relation to Adak. Thenn the other day I was at my Bro's watching carrot play with Ruby, their young rhodesian ridgeback, and I remembered Merc's rhodesians. And that got me thinking and just casually reminiscing about various things including a few missing dwellars and I posted a call out.

The next time I casually think about the fact I miss a departed dwellar I'll just keep quiet about it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #96
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'm sorry this all got so derailed, Dana. Obviously you didn't create a crap thread; it was ruined by someone else's narcissistic agenda. I'd hate to see good-hearted people feel that it's not worth reaching out to whomever they want.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #97
infinite monkey

You know what? I followed this thread all weekend, determined not to say anything.

Trilby was right on: merc DID know her background when he made the suicide suggestion. He wasn't sorry because he didn't know, he was sorry because UT called him out. merc was nothing if not a coattail riding opportunist.

Though I know his money was well-respected. He liked recognition for that.

What an insult to suggest, throughout, that he was a good good man. A good man. A misunderstood man.

And those who know he wasn't a good man, well, they're just not good-hearted.

BS.

Things got too quiet after the election and when better to throw a spanner in the works? Read this thread. Look how fucking divisive it got. Look at how people argued and got angry and called names. It's the worst kind of manipulation, the kind that ends with a "who ME?" But it's fitting, since merc was the very best at "who ME?"

Agendas? Funny, I was going to post over the weekend "there are five personal agendas in this thread. Can you find them all?" You know who you are.

Now I bet I'm a douche.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #98
DanaC

I never said he was a 'good good man'. In fact I have on many occasions including in this thread said he could be (and often was) a dick.

Like I said, next time I find myself wondering how whatshisface is getting on or whether whatshername will ever come back I'm just going to keep my thoughts to myself. It's just not worth saying anything.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #99
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Look how fucking divisive it got. Look at how people argued and got angry and called names.
I find it amusing that merc can start a flame war after he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
In my opinion, intolerance of intolerance is still intolerance.
Yeah, that's a tough one there, that's what that is. It's like there are multiple kinds of tolerance/intolerance.

There's the "we're going to round up all you jews and kill you, because we can't tolerate you".

There's the "I don't want to marry someone of my own gender, but I'll tolerate your doing so".

There's the "I will not tolerate the inequality of African Americans, and I will make you treat them equally"
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #100
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I never said he was a 'good good man'. In fact I have on many occasions including in this thread said he could be (and often was) a dick.

Like I said, next time I find myself wondering how whatshisface is getting on or whether whatshername will ever come back I'm just going to keep my thoughts to myself. It's just not worth saying anything.
Well, that isn't exactly what I meant. I just let it build up over the weekend...it seemed so ridiculous to me.

You should let people know you're missing them. I'm sorry about that part.

But I know about him jumping on people and it seemed that so many forgot. LIke the Paula Deen thing...he put me down and embarrassed me for saying I loved Joe Montana, for pete's sake.

Toward the end of his being here I had even gotten to the point where I could ignore him and talk to him if he weren't being an ass. Well, I'm doing better, but I am not quite there by a long shot. Still and all, I think he was very intentionally cruel to people when he wanted to be. No, none of us are perfect, least of all me...but he was pretty horrible at times.

I should have stayed shut up...but I guess I'm not done playing in the hay in the bitter barn, quite yet.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #101
DanaC

I knew he could be a cruel bastard, but he seemed to go in waves. He'd get worse and worse and then pull back. Usually he'd then take a break and sometimes he'd come back and apologise.

I have no idea about the Paula Deen thing. I don't even know who that is :P Nor Joe Montana come to that.

I seriously did not start this thread to cause an argument or troll for responses. Had I given it any thought beyond the initial wondering I'd have refrained from posting it as clearly the potential for it to turn nasty was always there.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #102
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Yes, it's a natural result of being trolled and triangulated.
I didn't realize my mom was a dwellar. How did the two of you meet?
Quote:
Jesus Dana, WTF were you thinking starting such a crap thread? We expect a whole lot more than this from you. This will absolutely kill any goodwill toward you that you had left.

Some people...

Seriously though Dana, you go and make those unpopular threads. I will lay down Jim's life for your right to do so. And I think I speak for many dwellars when I say that.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #103
infinite monkey

Jim? He's a knob. Everyone knows that.

I kid jim, because jim is kiddable.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #104
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I agree it was probably me pushing him that got him to apologize. He WAS a dick. And yet, we've all got to figure out how to get along. Humanity needs to unite and come together.

But how? We don't drop our prejudices easily and we don't drop them overnight, we learn over time. How do you change a guy like Merc? I guess there are different ways... to me, you demonstrate to him that you are a sensitive and valuable human being, and then he has to admit that you have a different but valid point of view. Of course he failed to do that himself...

Or, to your great surprise, he tells you things that you learn to be true. We can all learn from each other. There are things he knows that he's right about.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #105
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
~snip~
The next time I casually think about the fact I miss a departed dwellar I'll just keep quiet about it.
Threads are like toy boats, you set them sailing and watch them drift, you have no control.
Not to start a thread because it might drift someplace unpleasant, is silly.