The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/9: Cigarette smoking record

The French caption: Des comprimés à sucer nicotiniques seront bientôt disponibles en France pour les "accros" au tabac désireux d'arrêter de fumer.

<a href="http://world.altavista.com/tr">Babelfish</a> translation: Tablets to be sucked nicotinic will be soon available in France for the "accros" to the tobacco eager to stop smoking.

OK, still a few bugs to be worked out in online text translation.

But the headline, "154 cigarettes pour entrer dans le Guinness Book" tells us the pic has nothing to do with that. What I need to know now is whether all the butts had to be lit in order for the Guinness entry to be valid.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:10 PM   #2
Joe
Master of the Domain

fitting justice

Doesn't he look cool, chic, more mature and like a rebel?

Yeeesh.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 03:57 PM   #3
aofl
Non-Newbie Sort

That guy's t-shirt in the back ground is what people will think this guy's mouth is like right after this stunt.

Smoking has never been cool, and never will be.

Ugh.
aofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 04:36 PM   #4
dave

I'm with aofl. Smoking is pretty gross. Andrea and Chris smokes, and it fucking stinks. That's why I need a car - so when we're going somewhere, I can say "ah ah ah, no smoking, stink up car bad."

Jenni used to smoke, and then she'd come over and crawl into bed with me and her breath would be atrocious. I asked her to stop smoking. She did. No more cigarette breath. Wahoo!
Old 12-09-2001, 05:28 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Admittedly, I still smoke. No, I shouldn't, especially after my health scare in September. I have resolved to quit smoking at the end of this month. I believe I am going to employ the use of Zyban this time. I have tried on several occasions to quit over the past 6 years with no success. My fiance must have more willpower than I, as she successfully quit cold turkey last December.

Smoking doesn't make anyone look cool, although most smokers I know are cooler than non-smokers...probably just the people I know. I smoke b/c I like to smoke. *shrugs* I like the taste. No one ever forced me to put a cigarette in my mouth, nor would I accuse the tobacco companies of hastening my death. Tobacco, at least IMHO, is no worse than alcohol. Both can kill you...period. And if it gets to the point where smoking is beat down like alcohol was during Prohibition, shit will get crazy.

*steps off soapbox* Now this stunt is just fucking retarded. That ALMOST makes me want to quit smoking today. But, what more would you expect out of a country like France?

Babelfish can be extremely useful. Although I am semi-fluent in Spanish, I needed it one day when I was trying to assist a Spanish-speaking customer (and no one else was around). The biggest problem I've found is that it's not very good at conjugating verbs or word order. But when all else fails, babelfish is my friend.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 07:19 PM   #6
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I use free-translation.com, it's pretty dead on for the most part.

~mike
Old 12-10-2001, 08:28 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here's freetranslation.com's contribution:

Tablets to suck nicotiniques will be soon available in France for the "accros" to desirous tobacco to stop to smoke

Babelfish wins this round.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 09:44 PM   #8
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Re: 12/9: Cigarette smoking record

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

The French caption: Des comprimés à sucer nicotiniques seront bientôt disponibles en France pour les "accros" au tabac désireux d'arrêter de fumer.

<a href="http://world.altavista.com/tr">Babelfish</a> translation: Tablets to be sucked nicotinic will be soon available in France for the "accros" to the tobacco eager to stop smoking.

OK, still a few bugs to be worked out in online text translation.

But the headline, "154 cigarettes pour entrer dans le Guinness Book" tells us the pic has nothing to do with that. What I need to know now is whether all the butts had to be lit in order for the Guinness entry to be valid.
I can see you've started smoking again, Stephan.

(looks like my bro-in-law...)
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote