The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-19-2001, 03:45 PM   #16
kaleidoscopic ziggurat
Coronation Incarnate

i'm so glad i never got into slashdot...

too bad the BBSes died!
kaleidoscopic ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 12:34 AM   #17
juju
no one of consequence

I love Slashdot because I regularly get to talk to people who are just like me -- quite a rarity here around Arkansas. If I didn't have Slashdot, or some other site like Kuro5hin, well, i'd still be okay I guess. But, it's cool to talk to people with similar interests.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:17 AM   #18
dave

I don't talk to people. Once you hit the karma cap, one must post judiciously, rather than risk the loss of karma.

Though I am down at 47 now after my latest sputterings. Which weren't really sputterings so much as they were well planned & executed attacks. Heh.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:23 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can stop stalking me on /. now. That'll help yer karma. And frankly mine too.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:38 AM   #20
dave

Haha.

What's yours at?
Old 12-20-2001, 10:16 AM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I've been at the cap for... oh I don't know, a year now? For a while I was in the zone and got a bunch of 5s in a row.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 10:27 AM   #22
dave

So you're still at the cap. So that's good.

I was in the zone for a couple of days back in the summer. I have since stopped posting intelligently. Anywhere.
Old 12-23-2001, 06:36 AM   #23
juju
no one of consequence

Why not just post intelligently based on principle?
Old 12-23-2001, 09:44 AM   #24
dave

'Cause it gets fucking boring, and one can feel kinda burned by it too. I can't count the number of times I've taken my time, written a really intelligent and thoughtful post that just happens to disagree with popular opinion, posted it and gotten it modded down to 0 in the course of an hour. This happening every now and then isn't a big deal, but sometimes it can seriously be a real drag. Ask Tony. He posted something here about it a while ago.

Slashdot is a broken system. It doesn't respect its users, so I can't respect it. Like I said before, I welcome the day when it disappears. It was ruined a long time ago.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:09 AM   #25
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

You folks collect karma?

I've never posted to Slashdot as anything but an Anonymous Coward, and doubt I ever will. If somebody wants to read what I have to say, it's there, and all they have to do is look for it. If somebody wants to ignore everything below 'n', that's their prerogative.

When I used to read talk.bizarre regularly on USENET, I had a massive scorefile that gave new posts 1, familiar (and talented) faces more than 1, responses an automatic -6 penalty and whacked everything negative or at 0 unless I specifically went looking for it. Slashdot is similar, except that you're not the one who sets the scores, which makes reading-by-karma a bit pointless.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 12:41 PM   #26
dave

Mother fucking Karma cap sucks.

I posted a comment for fellow lazy asses like myself that hate copying & pasting URL's because someone was too lazy to make a link. I didn't do it in a karma-whoring mode or anything - just made the link, and made it obvious from the subject so that people could click 2 links instead of having to select it with their mouse, copy it (if in Windows or MacOS), and then paste it in their URL bar, which is tedious under Mozilla/Linux because you have to hit Ctrl-L, then delete what's in the URL bar, then move the mouse up there and paste it. Well, it gets modded up like 7 times - all the while, I'm sitting at the fucking karma cap. But it gets modded down 5 times - once as "Redundant" and 4 times as "Overrated" - which it definitely was. So when it's all said and done, my karma is 49, which is just an ANNOYING number to be at. Sure, I could go moderate myself up (I'm almost always moderating), but that kinda defeats the purpose. I think you should only lose karma on a post if the overall moderation of the post is negative - ideally, that's how it would work, but because of timing and the karma cap, it can work the other way. Fucking lame. I hate Slashdot.

I hate kuro5hin too. It's become this place for pseudo-intellectuals to read their own posts and masturbate while fantasizing about their greatness. It drives me nuts. The Cellar is the only discussion board I can even stand to read anymore. Am I becoming more irritable, or is the internet becoming more irritating?
Old 12-28-2001, 02:08 AM   #27
juju
no one of consequence

Well, i'm glad you post here.. it's pretty fun arguing with you. :] It wouldn't be the same without ya. But ya know.. every time I see your name completely filling the 'Last Post' row on the main page, I think back to this thread (third post down), wherein you stated that you didn't have the time to post all day. How exactly did we let you get away with such a claim?? <g>

Last edited by juju; 12-28-2001 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:37 AM   #28
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by juju2112
Well, i'm glad you post here.. it's pretty fun arguing with you. :] It wouldn't be the same without ya. But ya know.. every time I see your name completely filling the 'Last Post' row on the main page, I think back to this thread (third post down), wherein you stated that you didn't have the time to post all day. How exactly did we let you get away with such a claim?? <g>
The mad posting started shortly thereafter...like maybe around mid-November. All of a sudden, dham went Cellar-happy. He's been here about 6 months now, but he's probably made 400 posts or so in the past month.

And people think *I* post a lot...I've been here almost a year though.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:11 PM   #29
dave

Yeah. I got into my groove, wherein I can still accomplish a ton of work while posting on the Cellar. Though admittedly, some days people just don't give me as much shit to respond to. That's when I find out about the Butte Pirates. After work though, I hardly spend any time Cellar-ing. Got too much to do outside of work. Like cleaning up so I can move into a second bedroom. Wahoo!

And yeah, the flurry of posts started kinda late. I probably have made upwards of 400 in the last month - I'm definitely averaging about 20/day or so. The weekends make up for it though - I'm pretty much absent. I read, but I hardly ever post. Hehe.

Anyway. It's Jenni's birthday, so I shouldn't be on the computer all day. Gonna go hang out with her.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:17 AM   #30
sterwill
Kinda New Member

If 333 is worth at least one blow job, what would 972 get me? At least a third of a blow job?

I've got the same addiction to Slashdot. I just can't remove it from my bookmarks page, and my mouse finds it every time I'm wandering through the links. At least I can tolerate the front page in "light mode" while I scan for news.
sterwill is offline   Reply With Quote