The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Philadelphia
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philadelphia Home to many Cellar users: the city of neighborhoods

Old 05-05-2001, 01:07 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

This is mindless chatter, but it just came to me...

As is probably well-known, Philadelphia and it's northern and northwestern suburbs have 2 area codes--215 and 267. When I moved here, my home phone and cell phone both got 215 numbers. To be honest, I have only seen the 267 area code on some pagers, cell phones, and people who switch to a phone company other than Verizon.

When I got my new White Pages a while back, I noticed that we now have another overlay code--445. (The 610/484 area code also has a new overlay code--835.) The argument I've heard for new area codes is that we are running out of phone numbers. However, I have also heard that the Baby Bells needlessly reserve blocks of three-digit extensions, which is part of the need for new area codes.

If I recall correctly, 267 and 484 have only been around for what? 2 years? You cannot honestly tell me that we have already run out of numbers in 267. Not to mention, it's another stupid code to remember (along with 570, 717, 856, 609, 302, etc.). I would almost think it easier just to break down areas with new area codes (as Los Angeles and Chicago have done).

Too many numbers to remember...
Old 05-05-2001, 10:58 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Area Codes

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
... The argument I've heard for new area codes is that we are running out of phone numbers. However, I have also heard that the Baby Bells needlessly reserve blocks of three-digit extensions, which is part of the need for new area codes.

If I recall correctly, 267 and 484 have only been around for what? 2 years? You cannot honestly tell me that we have already run out of numbers in 267.
Some of your questions would be better understood in http://www.nanpa.com . However area code 610 has too many new local phone companies. No longer are exchanges limited to Verizon equipment. Therefore (610)267-xxxx defines which company system to contact to make a connection. If (610)267-xxxx contained multiple & different local phone company, then the telco version of a DNS would become a nightmare - calls would take longer to complete and the database maintenacne would become complicated. As it was, area code 484 was not properly implemented in 610 so that all 610 numbers that did not have long distance could not call 484 area code numbers. Image how much worse this would be when every phone number must be assigned uniquely to all databases in every local phone company. That is why each company is assigned a block of 9999 consecutive numbers.

Unfortunately each company may not use all 9999 numbers in their block. Not a problem if there were only a few phone companies. But there are something like 200+ phone companies in each area code that need blocks of 9999 numbers. Therefore all 267 numbers were assigned.

In that web site will probably be the latest lists of area codes already in trouble. Last time I looked, many recently upgraded area codes including NJ and CA were in trouble again. Also apparent is a shortage of three digit area codes for US/Canada/Mexico/Carribean. Yes, area codes cover all those countries meaning that there is a shortage of area codes.

Some regions gave users a break - one area code per region. However PA has politicans running PennDOT and the PUC. Therefore they were more interested in making it easier for phone companies rather than for users (we don't pay enough in legalized bribes). That is the reason for confusing area code overlays in PA whereas NJ separated 201 and 609 into six clearly defined and separate area codes. No overlays so that a phone number is quite specific for each part of the state.

One solution is to assign cell phone numbers to their own area code - which would temporarily eliminate reserved and unused numbers for cell phone towers. But the bottom line is this - we need a 12 digit phone number system for the US country code. I understand that (due to another example of globalization) all worldwide phone equipment manufacturers have been instructed to already support this inevitable upgrade - IOW support 15 digit phone numbers.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:23 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Area Codes in trouble

There are something like 110 area codes in trouble - a shortage of phone numbers. Here is but an example of how bad it is:

AreaC State expected expiration of phone numbers
201 .. NJ Jan 2002
203 .. CT Jun 2001
205 .. AL Mar 2003
206 .. WA Jan 2003
207 .. ME Jun 2002
267/215 PA Oct 2001
412 .. PA Aug 2002 (Pittsburgh - 878 overlayed in
724 .. PA Oct 2001 412 and 724 - more confusing)
484/610 PA Aug 2002
516 .. NY Aug 2001 (Long Island)
570 .. PA Jun 2003 (formally part of 717)
609 .. NJ Oct 2001
717 .. PA Oct 2003
732 .. NJ Oct 2000 (Monmouth Cty area)
856 .. NJ Aug 2002 (Vineland & Camden Cnty)
908 .. NJ Oct 2002
973 .. NJ Jan 2001

An example of how some exchanges in area code 215 were assigned:
215-790 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-791 PECO HYPERION TELECOMMUNICATIONS
215-792 PAGENET
215-793 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-794 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-795 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-796 AT&T LOCAL
215-797 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-798 PECO HYPERION TELECOMMUNICATIONS
215-799 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-800 TSR WIRELESS LLC
215-801 BELL ATLANTIC NYNEX MOBILE - PENNSYLVANIA
215-802 COMCAST CELLULAR COMMUNICATIONS - PENNSYLVANIA
215-803 COMCAST CELLULAR COMMUNICATIONS - PENNSYLVANIA
215-804 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-805 BELL ATLANTIC NYNEX MOBILE - PENNSYLVANIA
215-806 BELL ATLANTIC NYNEX MOBILE - PENNSYLVANIA
215-807 "BELL ATLANTIC - PENNSYLVANIA, INC.
215-808 COMCAST CELLULAR COMMUNICATIONS - PENNSYLVANIA
215-809
215-810 ARCH PAGING INC.

[Edited by tw on 05-06-2001 at 01:00 AM]
Old 05-07-2001, 12:53 AM   #4
elSicomoro

Re: Re: Area Codes

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
If (610)267-xxxx contained multiple & different local phone company, then the telco version of a DNS would become a nightmare - calls would take longer to complete and the database maintenacne would become complicated.
Now that you put it that way, it makes much more sense.

Quote:
In that web site will probably be the latest lists of area codes already in trouble. Last time I looked, many recently upgraded area codes including NJ and CA were in trouble again. Also apparent is a shortage of three digit area codes for US/Canada/Mexico/Carribean. Yes, area codes cover all those countries meaning that there is a shortage of area codes.
I've looked at the site on occasion. I was also looking at another site: http://www.lincmad.com...very informative. From what I've seen though, Mexico does not use the NANP (at least not anymore).

Quote:
Some regions gave users a break - one area code per region. However PA has politicans running PennDOT and the PUC. Therefore they were more interested in making it easier for phone companies rather than for users (we don't pay enough in legalized bribes). That is the reason for confusing area code overlays in PA whereas NJ separated 201 and 609 into six clearly defined and separate area codes. No overlays so that a phone number is quite specific for each part of the state.
From what I'm seeing, even areas that originally did a split are now preparing for an overlay. (e.g. Washington state will be receiving a new area code that will overlay ALL 4 area codes on the western side of the state. Apparently, New Jersey is in line for overlays too.)

Quote:
One solution is to assign cell phone numbers to their own area code - which would temporarily eliminate reserved and unused numbers for cell phone towers.
The only situation like this is in NYC--all cell phones get the 917 area code. However, the argument against that sort of thing is that they do not want to single out any particular user (be it a cell or pager, business, etc.).

IMO, the easiest way to break up 215 in the first place would be similar to what was done in Chicago--give the city the entire 215 area code, the suburbs 610. Then split the suburbs into different codes, if necessary.

NYC has 5 area codes now...why not give each borough its own instead of doing 3 in Manhattan and 2 in the rest of the boroughs?

Most phone companies seem to prefer overlays because then no one has to reprint their business stationary, reprogram their phones, etc. But rather than remember several different codes, at least for me, it's easier to remember location. For example, I know that 314 covers St. Louis city and its inner suburbs. 636 covers the outer suburbs into the surrounding counties.

Actually tw, or anyone else, what IS the actual boundary for 215/610? I know that most of Bucks is 215, and Delco is 610, but Montco is what confuses me.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:16 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

While I had my business I had Verizon as my original local provider. Since I started out home-based, I had two lines (remaining from from the old Cellar days actually!), one for voice and one for fax, and they were residential. I moved to an office, added more lines and changed them to business lines.

Their rate for business service was outrageous, and I found out that AT&T was offering local service in the area. So I switched to AT&T, where I got a monthly $49.95 surcharge but very good rates for calling. That was a much cheaper solution.

Then my business died, and I called AT&T to have them move the lines to my house again and switch to residential. But that proved too much for them. For one thing, they didn't offer residential service in my area.

Consider that the office is 1000 feet from my house, and that the exchange is the same although it's a different post office.

I had to switch back to Verizon, THEN move the lines, and then switch them to residential.

But I bring this up because I'm not sure why I could get service from AT&T in the first place. I have never switched exchanges or COs, so why could I have a different provider?
Old 05-07-2001, 10:05 PM   #6
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
But I bring this up because I'm not sure why I could get service from AT&T in the first place. I have never switched exchanges or COs, so why could I have a different provider?
The only think I can think of is that maybe AT&T pays Verizon to maintain the system.

The only baby Bell that seems to be worse than Verizon is US West. I haven't heard a lot of good things about them (or the former Bell Atlantic).
Old 05-08-2001, 11:06 AM   #7
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
Then my business died, and I called AT&T to have them move the lines to my house again and switch to residential. But that proved too much for them. For one thing, they didn't offer residential service in my area.

Consider that the office is 1000 feet from my house, and that the exchange is the same although it's a different post office.

I had to switch back to Verizon, THEN move the lines, and then switch them to residential.

AT&T probably hasn't filed residential tariffs for your area. Thus, they can't provide residential service despite that there's no physical barrier to doing so.

(BTW, Verizon owns that last mile from the CO to your house regardless of who the CLEC is)