The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Newest technophile masturbatory delight...

Samsung Offers 82-inch HDTV TFT-LCD display panel

http://www.physorg.com/news3271.html

Samsung Electronics has developed the world's largest liquid crystal display panel. This 82-inch TFT-LCD is 17 inches larger than LCD flat panel previously developed by Sharp. This development challenges plasma display panels in this market area. This full HD image quality (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) TFT-LCD panel was developed at the company's new production complex in Tangjeong, Korea. The soon-to-be operational 7th-generation production facility uses glass substrates that measure 1.87m x 2.20m.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That's a bit much.... But perhaps its existence will push the price of smaller ones down a bit more. I've got a TV size limitation which happily doubles as a cost inhibitor.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice piece, HM. It would look good sitting under a wall hung screen.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Then he could use the flat horizontal space for all of his vestments and paraphrenalia for worshipping at such an alter.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Happy Monkey

Nah... It's too deep, and it's in the corner.

(I will not spend as much on a TV as I did on my car... I will not spend as much on a TV as I did on my car... I will not spend as much on a TV as I did on my car... )
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Buy a more expensive car.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Happy Monkey

You, sir, are a master of lateral thinking.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-10-2005, 11:37 PM   #8
breakingnews
Q_Q

I'm not too turned on by the expanding girth of plasma TVs ... I know they'll get enormous, and that's awesome. It's a poor comparison, but we even had a projector TV on an 8' x 8' screen at my parents' old house. Very cool for action movies.

Got one word for you: holograph. I wanna see some of those models in three-dimensional goodness.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
I wanna see some of those models in three-dimensional goodness.
Which? The one to the left of the screen, or the one to the right?

We currently have a 26" Magnavox purchased in 1992 or so. The fact that it has no inputs except for one coax jack means the use of a kludgy RF converter to handle the DVD player, but other than that it works fine. I'm hoping it'll last a couple more years through corresponding price drops. (I have my eye on a projector rather than an actual TV, though I'm a little concerned about bulb replacement costs.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I was in Best Buy a couple of days ago. There were two 50"+ plasma tv's upon which the pictures were so profoundly perfect that it raised goosebumps on my arms...seriously. I had an emotional experience looking at an HDTV display.

The quality of plasma blows away even the best LCD jobs.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
(I have my eye on a projector rather than an actual TV, though I'm a little concerned about bulb replacement costs.)
Well my picture tube is around 16/17 hundred.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Which? The one to the left of the screen, or the one to the right?

We currently have a 26" Magnavox purchased in 1992 or so. The fact that it has no inputs except for one coax jack means the use of a kludgy RF converter to handle the DVD player, but other than that it works fine. I'm hoping it'll last a couple more years through corresponding price drops. (I have my eye on a projector rather than an actual TV, though I'm a little concerned about bulb replacement costs.)
Worried with cause: replacement bulbs run 400 to 500 american! It seemed weird when I turn off the projector that the light goes off but the dang fan keeps blowing for like ten minutes. Well, that's to continue to bathe the bulb assembly in cooler air. MAN those things pump out the heat. Make a reeeeallly big picture tho and the quality is comparable to the drive-in. Not razor sharp, but you can damn near see it from space. Plenty bright even in a lit room.

Worth trying to borrow one and see how it fits in your living space. We have a rectangular living room where the tv and the couch occupy opposite long sides of the rectangle. We (I) borrowed one for the Super Bowl party at our house and found that our room just doesn't make it. We wound up arranging it kinda diagonally, and it was ok, but it would not work day to day. I don't know how big an image we could get working across the short length of the room.

anyway, they're cool, not in temp, the price/size is right, unbeatable, and here now, not "coming soon".

Just try to see one in action, if possible in your space.

Oh, and the surface upon which the image is projected is just as important as the projector. Check out some of the different screen technologies. Just a white wall will not give you all the picture the projector can deliver.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

Quote:
The quality of plasma blows away even the best LCD jobs.
Pity about the lifespan & burn in.....That said I saw a new huge Samsung panel recently with a $5k DVD player using the new HDMI interconnect all the way though....wow......I couldn't stop looking at it. The quality was a whole other level to anything else I've seen. Ever.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Just try to see one in action, if possible in your space.
Oh, I've borrowed one from work a couple times... draping a sheet over the front of the entertainment unit isn't optimal (we don't really have a bare wall) but still gives an impressive effect! If we did it for real, it should be pretty easy to dump the existing entertainment unit, put a screen on the wall that's currently behind the unit, and have a small shelf to hold the projector on the opposite wall.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #15
Razorfish
Superhero

The sony store near where I live has been selling refurbed plasmas for cheap (relatively speaking). A 72 inch plasma would cost around $7000 brand new but only $5800 as a refurb unit. Made me want to slap down my credit card and hang myself.

On a side note: The tv in the picture is diplaying an image of a watch movement. More specifically, a Harry Winston tourbillon watch movement. It takes a lot of detail to display something so small and so complex. It would not surprise me if the watch that contained that specific movement cost more than that tv. I'm probably the only person who noticed this.