The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Eurovision Blues

This probably won't concern anyone outside of the UK (it probably won't even concern many of the Brits!) but I feel compelled to share my disappointment about the usual block voting of the Eurovision Song Contest.

The winner - Serbia - didn't deserve to win in my opinion. And would not have, if FIVE of its eight neighbours hadn't awarded it the maximum 12 points. Honestly, if the Balkans had been allowed to vote like this in 1974 I doubt Abba would have won, and the world would have been a poorer place without their music. Okay the Scandinavians keep their votes within their region too, but they seem to spread them out more.

I'm not saying we deserved to win, but we received votes from TWO countries in total - Malta and Ireland. The song was definitely better than that.

Political voting and the old pals network is making the competition a farce. Between the Baltic vote, the Balkan vote, the Russian vote and the Scandinavian vote, there isn't much chance for a Western European nation these days. I think we should withdraw, taking our money with us - the only reason we get to compete these days is because of the support we give after all. If we're not being given a fair chance at winning I say the support isn't worth it. Bah humbug.

Ah well, on a lighter note, I did have a conversation with a colleague a couple of years ago. She couldn't understand why people referred to trouble in Israel as being part of the conflict in the Middle East when Israel was part of Europe. Turns out she was basing this entirely on their participation in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Some pictures from the night in case anyone missed it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I'm not saying we deserved to win, but we received votes from TWO countries in total - Malta and Ireland. The song was definitely better than that.
Oh come on.....it really wasn't better than that. Our entry was complete pants! Frankly, I wanted the Ukraine to win. Their silver clad trannies were much better than that drivel we put forward!

The block voting is quite funny/irritating though.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I would have been happy with a win for the Ukraine - I would have accepted it more as a vote for the song, not the country. Or Sweden, Bulgaria, Georgia, France (well... I found it funny anyway).

It's not so much that I thought we had a great song, just that in my opinion it wasn't the second worst song in the contest. The opener for example - Bosnia-Herzegovina. In fact any of the first three - I didn't wake up until Ireland came on and that was only to say, "Is it really supposed to sound like that?!"

I know I take it too seriously
Old 05-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
be-bop
Operations Operative

C'mon now girls this cack should have been put to sleep years ago.
It's total crap,how many of the songs will you be whistling to on your way to work on Monday. Candy floss songs from bands and singers you wouldn't book for the local pub..the best part of the show was when Terry Wogan (wooden UK TV presenter for our US chums) had a dig at the winner "does anyone remember Abbot and Costello"he quipped at that I was on the floor.
Attached Images

be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
Hagar
Master of the Domain

I've had the Ukraine entrants' song stuck in my head all day. They "rocked".
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
This probably won't concern anyone outside of the UK (it probably won't even concern many of the Brits!) but I feel compelled to share my disappointment about the usual block voting of the Eurovision Song Contest.

The winner - Serbia - didn't deserve to win in my opinion. And would not have, if FIVE of its eight neighbours hadn't awarded it the maximum 12 points. Honestly, if the Balkans had been allowed to vote like this in 1974 I doubt Abba would have won, and the world would have been a poorer place without their music. Okay the Scandinavians keep their votes within their region too, but they seem to spread them out more.

--snip--
I got pretty steamed about Alex Rodriguez being robbed of the Rookie of the Year Award back in the day, too.

But... Aren't these the same countries that only a few short years ago were SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER and now they're "banding together" (pun intended). Surely there could be worse problems.

btw, I've never seen "pants" as an adjective before. Thanks for the education.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
King
Conquistador

Not to take it too seriously, but the way everyone just votes for their mates is pretty much making a mockery of the competition. I'm glad that we got points from Malta and Ireland; I don't want us to come bottom of anything. And sorry for not reciprocating, Ireland.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Updating this thread rather than the other one because it's so disappointing once again. Terry just said, "This is no longer a song contest" and I wholeheartedly agree. When el Tel retires - or just decides he's not going to bother with a live 3 hour broadcast any more - I doubt the UK will continue to participate.

I did okay out of it - I had 3 out of the top 4 on an each way bet. The odds on Russia weren't good enough to bother with a bet on the winner. I'm so rubbish at calculating odds that I have no idea what I will get, but at least it meant the voting held my interest.

I liked Greece and Armenia. Greece did damn well bearing in mind it doesn't have the chums that Russia, Ukraine and Armenia have. I thought Sweden would do better (my 4th bet). Western Europe just can't compete though.

I can't even remember where our 4 points came from. I know 10 were from Ireland. Maybe cronyism, but the rest of their voting was suitably eccentric. Bless the paddies and their turkey. Two countries! Two countries voted for us! Andy Abrahams deserved better than that. Even if I didn't really rate the song it was so much better than Spain for example!

Okay, I'm rambling a bit. Just feel so let down. Bloody Europeans.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Does a hyperlink to the BBC still exist to replay Eurovision? I missed it.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry, I've no idea. I watched it on tv (obviously, being in the UK). I haven't even tried to watch anything on this laptop yet, as the plasma screen downstairs is much better quality!

BTW I didn't realise the Greece entry was sung by a Greek-American. Credit to her, she put in a sterling performance.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If the online calculator is correct I'll have profited by £15.94.
Not bad when - as I say - it was more a device for keeping me interested as the voting slipped away from us.

The total amount pays for my brother in law's birthday present anyway.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fucking Eurovision 'song' contest. All I know about it is it meant a Tennant-free weekend!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sigh.
We came last. Again.

Still, no-one thought Germany would ever win, and they did.
One of the only countries not to give Germany any points was Israel. Yeah, I get that. Poland did though...

I even voted for them.

It does hurt to get 10 points when there was some REAL rubbish out there getting 50, 60, 100 points though.

Still, at least this year we can't complain about block voting - at least not so much. And Graham Norton has proved himself as a good replacement for Sir Terry on his second outing. Just silly things like mockig the deep voice of one of the regional reporters really made me giggle.

And good on the Norwegians for the pseudo flash-mob interval! Best performance since Riverdance imho. Saved it on Sky+ for Mum, she gets all worked up about those kind of performances.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I only know of Eurovision because of pokes at it from Monty Python. I am continually surprised that it's real.

Bing Tiddle Tiddle Bong, wasn't it?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The most successful Eurovision contest winner was ABBA and their first hit single "Waterloo".

Now I had to look it up, but the second most successful Eurovision contest winner, from a merkin perspective, was Celine Dion. What you say, she's French Canadian! Well apparently the Swiss brought her in as a ringer.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote