The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

Hispanic Boycott in Arizona

Brownwatch site
First of all, could you imagine if caucasians had set up a website called "Brownwatch"? or even "Whitewatch". (the same thing always pissed me off about "the black student union" in college, but that is another rant.)

Anyway, these fine folks were involved in getting the word out about a boycott that happened on Tuesday of this week. You won't see any mention of it on the website, because it was an absolute failure. They are advocating and asking businesses to avoid scheduling conventions and other tourist activities in Arizona in response to anti-illegal alien legislation that has been bouncing around down here. That'll teach them racist white folks...

If you visit the site you will see a couple of bills that this organization feels are unfair and racist... let's see - you can't enroll in state schools if you are here illegally, tax money can't be spent on building centers for illegals to hang out at and wait for work... yeah, i see how that is racist. The only one that they have a leg to stand on, in my view, is the English only bill. in my view, i figure that if you want government services you should be able to speak english or provide your own translator - but i can see how that one can be twisted to fit their agenda.

The hispanic boycott that failed on tuesday was aimed at shutting down arizona for 1 day to show the importance of the hispanic population. they asked for all hispanics to stay home. don't go to work, shopping. buy gas, etc. The thing is that the majority of legal immigrants are bitter towards illegals for cheating, the american born hispanics are bitter because of the ignorance and animosity that bubbles up when these events happen, so the result was that on Tuesday - nothing happened.

good work gentlemen.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Guyute
Gamehenge

From the sounds of it, if all Hispanics stayed home they would be back in Mexico...

If that many are getting in illeagally, why did it take so long to cause a stink?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
lookout123

this has been going on for a very long time. right now we have a govenor that is pandering to this segment of the hispanic population, because she wouldn't have won the election without their support and it looks to be even closer this time around. we have state rep's that oppose her stance and feel GW's immigration policy is for the birds, so they are trying to do what they can at the state level.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Hell, if boycotting hispanics in Arizona will help, I'll stop buying them ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
Be Less Bored
Throwing turnips off the truck

Nothing like encouraging local businesses to endorse fellonies, huh? Isn't encouraging a crime a crime itself?

hmmmmmmm

Be Less Bored -- or call US: +1 206-203-4119

D'oh .. and you were worried about google?
Be Less Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Less Bored
Nothing like encouraging local businesses to endorse fellonies, huh? Isn't encouraging a crime a crime itself?

hmmmmmmm
You lost me. Who's encouraging local businesses to endorse what felonies.?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
From the sounds of it, if all Hispanics stayed home they would be back in Mexico...
Not Hispanics, Illegals. I'm sure many of our Hispanic citizens have been here for umpteen generations but even the ones that got here (legally)yesterday, but are not yet citizens, this is home.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

it really is relative

Let's think about this from the perspective of an hispanic person whose folks have lived in the region for say 500 years. Competing criminal organizations, I'll refer to them as governments, cause a shifting of borders and your families property is taken. You move South because that government will only screw you based on class not on race (unless you've got native blood) or religion. Will the "Mexican" not feel entitled to live where his ancestors lived and were ripped off? yours in relativism g
Old 05-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
lookout123

sorry, griff - gotta call that one bullshit. i have a couple different strands of native indian blood in my background, can i have StL?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Nope, you can't have it but you can live there.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:15 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

"undocumented immigrants"---wow. We've come a long, long way, chica.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
Guyute
Gamehenge

XoxoxoBruce-> You're right; I should have qualified my sarcasm to ensure it implied illegals. Anyone who actually went throught the legal way to enter is A-OK; I think people who encourage, harbor or employ illegals should be prosecuted. Otherwise what good is a passport? Or paying taxes?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Let's think about this from the perspective of.....blah blah blah
Well hell, I guess nobody can ever be satisfied because everybody has a forebearer that was screwed by somebody, somewhere at sometime.
We'll all be Hatfields and McCoys carrying on a feud that started umpteen generations back.
Shit, I have enough trouble keeping an eye on the "Competing criminal organizations" that are screwing me. History is history, not justification for criminal behavior or even behaving badly.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think the important thing here is that sooner or later, it should lead to reparations. Yup, as long as somebody has to give somebody money, the hundreds of years of Man's inhumanity to Man can be forgotten.

I've always thought that racism was a curiously slanted concept. Some of the most racist people I've ever met were not Caucasian. I've always thought it would be funny to have a White History week, complete with White Cuisine (white bread and Velveeta with Miracle Whip), White music (Pat Boone and Perry Como) and White clothing (leisure suits) prominently featured. Using the same exact wording of other ethnic pride events, it would certainly be decried as a racist function.

I just find it curious...
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I get myself in a fair amount of trouble, simply because I am not ashamed of being white, and choose to hate people on an individual basis, rather than as a consequence of group (granfalloon) membership. Unless you consider "assholes" to be a granfalloon.

I do carry a copy of this, just in case, however.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote