Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #136
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Went Weds, Thurs, Sat and Sun - this is more because of the CV than the exercises. Am trying to get 30 mins a day.

I misrepresented my exercise routine - damn those numbers!
I'm getting used to it now but I still have to use the card as there are different reps etc for each set:

I come back from the gym elated, but oddly I feel so virtuous going there that I believe I am slim and fit, and coming home I after looking in the mirrors and being (by far) the biggest person there, and the worst dressed/ sweatiest/ most unkempt I feel much fatter. Well, it helps me walk past the take-away shops I guess.
ETA 4 hours later - my knees hurt
I think it's the lunges, although I only feel them in my thighs at the time.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #137
jamamaspoke
jamamaspoke

Make sure on the lunges you are going straight down. Keep your knee over or right above your ankle, try not to let it go in front of. That can contribute to knee problems. Your goal is to get a 90 degree angle on both legs.
jamamaspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #138
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know. I'm not being dismissive, my trainer did point this out very carefully to me when training (he was very careful when he introduced squats too) It's the only time I deliberately look in the mirror in the whole session.

I have issues with my knees anyway, I'm hoping to strengthen them with careful exercise. Not real medical issues I hasten to add - just that being obese puts stress on them - which has been getting better in the last seven weeks. I still walk downstairs slowly first thing in the morning, creaking and cracking all the way, but don't stop or support myself on the wall any more.

Doing Bums, Tums & Thighs tomorrow as well as Step. See how the old knees bear up there!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #139
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Lost some more lbs, yay. 15 stone now - stones being a benchmark weight in the UK. It's 210 in lbs, so it will be another celebration in 10lbs time, how nice to be bilingual! Aim (achievable) is to be 14.5 by Christmas. 203

That's awesome, SG! How much have you lost in total?

I have been so crazy busy for the last few weeks, i haven't "exercised" for nearly 3 weeks. But i raked 5 yards today and marshalled a couple of swim meets and I bike the kids to the bus stop every morning....

tomorrow the regular stuff starts again. And them some.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #140
Griff
still says videotape

SG is your trainer looking in on you to make sure on your knee position? Just be extra careful about that, its really easy to get out of alignment and pop something. My coach is absolutely crazy on body position, but I appreciate his concern. He's getting my kid to keep better form now as well which is cool cause she's growing again...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #141
LJ
i am myself

went extra heavy today.

chest machine 200lbs x 4 reps, 160 x 4, 120 x 4, 80 x 8 super set...no breaks between

rest

160 x 4, 120 x 4, 80 x 6 and that was all i could manage

lats: 230 lbs x 6, 180 x 6, 130 x 10 super set rest then 170, 120 x 8 each

then i did that fucking hateful twisty abs thing, & a couple sets of 12 on the crunch machine at 125 lbs

iso curls 35 lbs x 8 each arm
then free curls 40 lbs each x 5

shoulder press 80 lbs 2 sets of 8

forgot to do triceps cuz jinx was rushing me

then 1/2 hr on the treadmill avg heart rate 148
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #142
Michaela
Lively Girl

Holy Cow. I thought I worked out. Nothing compared to that! met a gal pal at 5:30 this morning. Ready for a nap now.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #143
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
That's awesome, SG! How much have you lost in total?
2 stone 10 (38lbs) I date that from the beginning of August though, so it's slow & steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
SG is your trainer looking in on you to make sure on your knee position? Just be extra careful about that, its really easy to get out of alignment and pop something.
He's not a personal trainer so he doesn't work all the days I am at the gym, so he isn't actually overseeing me. But we went through all the exercises in meticulous detail, using the mirrors and how it felt when I was doing it right. When he is there he will always talk to me, but it won't necessarily be when I am doing my floor work.

In Bums, Tums & Thighs today there was a sequence which involved stepping across the room in lunges! There and back 4 times (not all at once, 4 different occasions). I didn't even attempt a full lunge, just dropped the appropriate leg slightly.

But then some of the women in that class had the bodies of athletes. I was so depressed by how unfit I was I nearly cried off Step, but the teacher talked me into it. I stayed behind to talk to her - she's lovely. She said only to do what I was comfortable with, and gave me some alternatives. Same teacher for each class but BTT is a hugely popular, about 30 people. Step is tiny, about 8. Both were value for money, although now I feel like I need to rise to the challenge of 2 back to back every Monday

Last edited by Sundae; 11-26-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #144
monster

Quote:
2 stone 10 (38lbs) I date that from the beginning of August though, so it's slow & steady.
OMG, that's incredible! Well done you! That's over 2lb a week every week for 3 months. That's no mean feat. WTG, girl.

***mutter mumble must get ass in gear :::jealous:::***

I did manage to swim 18 laps today -10 mins was all I had. And I shifted some leaves and snow. Maybe I'll do some crunchies later (yeah, right)
Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #145
monster

Finally made it back to the pool and swam 3/4 mile. I could tell I'd not been for a while.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #146
LJ
i am myself

went to the gym yesterday

did the same basic workout as the other day with a couple extra reps

and instead of cardio on the treadmill, i swam laps and played catch with spencer and ippy in the pool.

then we went to Shady Maple

and pigged out.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #147
jinx
Come on, cat.

I didn't have LJ slowing me down, so I got a good work-out in today. No swimming though.

Treadmill
60min - 15elev, 3mph (500cal)

Lat 4/10 50lb
Shoulder 4/10lbs
Press 4/10 20lbs
Ab 5/10 35lbs 8 40lbs
Rot 2/12 25lb each way
Abductor 4/10 60lbs
Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #148
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just in case you were interested - my gym

Old council building - built back in the days when they had baths for the working class, who usually went once a week to have an all over bath and the rest of the time washed at the kitchen sink. The alternative was a weekly bath in the large copper tub used for washing clothes, but the fuel to heat the water would have come to more than going to the "slipper baths" anyway.

Anyway it's still subsidised by the local authority, hence my £19.40 (approx $40) per month off-peak rate, paid by the sainted HM.
For that I get all classes/ gym/ swimming from 09.00-17.00 Mon-Fri and from 13.00 weekends.

If it helps people like me get fitter it will save the public purse money on joint replacement and other treatments required for obesity, as well as helping wit depression and the associated costs.

BTW am now under 15 stone! Hurray, never see 15 again!
(divide by 14 to get lbs, but the landmark won't mean as much)
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #149
LJ
i am myself

i've still been going to the gym.....although i've been lax about this thread. had a bit of a slow down over the holidays....got all the way back up to 287lbs at one point......was back down to 278 today....yay.....

did chest, shoulders, abs, biceps, triceps and hamstrings. then we did 10 minutes on the treadmill ( jinx had already done 20 on the stairbastard) and went swimming...jinx does this thing where she holds a kickboard and paddles backwards with her feet.....i tried it today and ohmygod.....the abs, the abs! i did 2 laps and had to stop....
Old 01-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #150
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Cool thread. Good to see lots of people getting in better condition.

Push ups-40,30,20,10
Sit ups- same alternating.

run 4 miles. 8-9 min pace.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote