The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #91
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Was there any indication of the aftermath (injuries?)?

Clearly, the speeds necessary to get the thing flying, rather than planing, are too high to be safe, considering the virtually zero level of stability. It isn't so bad if the thing rotates left or right if the water is a foot beneath the edge, but if the water is 15 feet beneath the edge, it is going ass over teakettle, and someone is gonna get squished.

Having seen this video, I am starting to at least appreciate a bit more the point of view that the nature of the advertising (showing people zooming through the air at impressive heights) of this product is contributory to its eventual misuse. Dude was fine when he was only coming a couple feet off the water.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #92
Ibby
erika

He said he got a concussion and a bruised lung, and coughed blood for a week. Or something like that.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #93
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You know what I'd do if I were going to get sued for my obscure, dangerous-as-all-hell sporting equipment?

I'd deluge the internet with information about them (come on, how many brand-new users have to start threads about these before you get suspicious that something's up?), and get people to have endless debates over whether anyone could know how dangerous they are. Because then 9 months from now, when the case finally goes to court, it has become "common knowledge" how dangerous they are, and the people who were injured could reasonably be expected to know that and therefore have no case. [/cynic]
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #94
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn, almost 12k tubing videos on there. Mostly regular tubing but more Kite Tubes than just the first page.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #95
rkzenrage

I guess a lot of people here want off-road cycles banned, parasails, ultralights, parshutes... pretty much anything fun?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #96
velocityboy
Drawn Druid

Hell, yeah! Because that'll make the world a safe place for kids to grow up in.

Oh, wait...
velocityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #97
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Because then 9 months from now, when the case finally goes to court, it has become "common knowledge" how dangerous they are, and the people who were injured could reasonably be expected to know that and therefore have no case. [/cynic]
That's already true though. Look at the instructions.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #98
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

I got injured minus the kite tubes, so my conculsion is that you can get hurt no matter what you're doing...if you're not doing it safely, or just being plain stupid while you're doing it. I don't think people should be able to sue due to their self induced injuries. I wouldn't be able to sue O'brien because I got a concussion while using their super screamer tubes, and I doubt I would be able to sue Sea Doo because I crashed a sea doo at 55mph and got whiplash, bruised bones, and a dislocated knee-cap. Or, would I?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #99
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
That's already true though. Look at the instructions.
That's the way you think it should be. But the reality is it just takes one judge or juror who views it as glatt does, and the instructions are irrelevant. But by saturating people with information about it, you are increasing the chances that your jury pool will have all heard about the dangers of these things before. The entire legal system is based on this nebulous concept of what a "reasonable person" should expect. A reasonable person knows that a car can be deadly because the information is out there. Once everyone has heard of these things, the defendants' case is much stronger.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #100
rkzenrage

Or less strong... just like Kinky... people know Sea Doos go fast, why doesn't everyone who gets hurt on them get labeled as a victim? Makes no sense.
It says to be careful in the instructions, that you could get injured... this is just sad. "gee I was being towed behind a boat, up in the air, fell off and got hurt... I'm so confused by that"... yeah, right. Just trying to cash in.
People who don't take accountability for their actions confuse me.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #101
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyVixen
I got injured minus the kite tubes,
I get injured trying to get things out of blister packaging. Anyone know a good lawyer?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #102
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I don't have a link handy, but I think that may already have happened.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #103
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
That's the way you think it should be. But the reality is it just takes one judge or juror who views it as glatt does
Just because a judge or juror violates their oath and ignores evidence because a big faceless company will cough up the money doesn't mean the evidence isn't there, it just means the process has been corrupted when we arrive at the point where the "reasonable man" standard doesn't include reading prominent warnings directing you to the instructions.

We do still have a long way to go on tort reform--until there's some serious *cost* to spin the judge/juror wheel-of-fortune. By the way it may only take one boneheaded judge, but it takes more than one juror in a civil action.

Last edited by MaggieL; 07-10-2006 at 05:31 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #104
velocityboy
Drawn Druid

I just received my Wego in the mail today. The text warning that it can be dangerous or fatal if used improperly can be found:

- on the outside of the box
- on the printed owners manual
- on the instruction DVD
- on the tube itself

The instruction DVD and the printed manual go into great detail telling you what *not* to do.

In addition, the outside of the box contains what is essentially a EULA saying that by assembling the tube, you agree that it is dangerous and that you or your family will not hold the manufacturer responsible.

The only defense I can see that you didn't know this thing could hurt you would be if you were illiterate and had an I.Q. of 12.

And I agree with you on tort reform. It's way too easy to sue in this country, and the settlements are huge, which gives mega incentive for frivolous lawsuits. I've heard lawyers refer to this as "shake the tree and see what falls out."

Last edited by velocityboy; 07-10-2006 at 08:32 PM.
velocityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #105
Ollie_Lindy
Non-Newbie Sort

We bought a Wego Kite Tube. We watched the video & read the warnings. I went first, lost control of the tube & almost dislocated my right shoulder when falling. I am very familiar with water falls from skiing and tubing. My 23 year old daughter went next. She slammed into the water & had the breath knocked out of her. She couldn't breath. I was so frightened for her I couldn't get to her fast enough to get her out of the water. She is a college athlete - in excellent condition and also used to water sports. We followed the manufacturer's instructions exactly regarding speed & use of the tube.

What troubles me is that the manufacturer says not to be used by children under 12 years of age. What 12 year old has sufficient judgement to evaluate the warnings properly and accordingly accept the risk? Almost all products have liability warnings on them (remember McDonald's hot coffee...). It is sometimes impossible to tell if a product is truly dangerous or if the manufacturer is simply issuing warnings to protect against litigation in the event something should happen (even if chances are remote).

I will not permit anyone to use the Wego Kite Tube. I saw first hand for myself that it is extremely, extremely dangerous and I am truly grateful that no one was permanently injured while we learned our lesson. We do not let 12 year olds drive cars, motorcycles, or jet skis for a reason. If someone wants to accept the risk then that person should be 18 or older.

I sincerely hope this product is recalled. I live on a lake and do not look forward to having friends and neighbors seriously injured on this product. From what I saw, it WILL happen, it is only a matter of time.
Ollie_Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote