The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

How Am I Broke?!

How is it I am OUT OF MONEY and it isn't CHRISTMAS YET and I've got STUFF to BUY? HOW?!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I had people play a game last year and I am again this year because it was so much fun and much less stress than everyone feeling like they must buy lots and lots of presents.

It was a gift swapping game. You can make it white elephants if you want but if it is make sure you add the other element of people being able to steal from another if so.

One person starts. They open a gift. Then the next person opens a gift then the gift stealing begins until everyone has opened and stolen a gift until everyone has the THING they most want.

I am not describing it very well but it is so much fun and no body feels left out and those people who cannot afford a bunch of gifts feels good too.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It does sound like fun and I'm all for stuff like that BUT (huge caveat here) I've also two teenaged sons.

They like new stuff. sigh.

And, they like to eat.

a lot.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
skysidhe

I too have a teenage son. He is getting a mere $50. I feel like wrapping it in a huge box but he isn't a child anymore. I don't think he minds but us as parents do mind I know.

Maybe you can write them an IOU for Christmas until next month? Put it in a card? [edit- I probably wouldn't do that either- Just brainstorming.]

Maybe you can borrow a few bucks from a family member? Just for the food anyway. Sell something on Craigs list but beware of the scary people.

Last edited by skysidhe; 12-20-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Looks like someone needs a government bailout.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
skysidhe

Here I just keep pointing to the new car we have and he will soon be driving.

I know it hurts a moms heart but they probably would understand the situation esp if they are grown. They might not mind waiting? ......yeah right...huh.

bummer

sorry no more ideas. I tried to keep positive for you. Now I am just bummed out for you.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Stress Puppy
Elite Elitist

Skysidhe - That's also called a 'yanky swap', we did one at our holiday party last year.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress Puppy View Post
Skysidhe - That's also called a 'yanky swap', we did one at our holiday party last year.
yeah we had a great time with it
Old 12-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Ask your new Ouija Board.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I too have a teenage son. He is getting a mere $50. I feel like wrapping it in a huge box but he isn't a child anymore. I don't think he minds but us as parents do mind I know.

Maybe you can write them an IOU for Christmas until next month? Put it in a card? [edit- I probably wouldn't do that either- Just brainstorming.]

Maybe you can borrow a few bucks from a family member? Just for the food anyway. Sell something on Craigs list but beware of the scary people.
Scary people on the internet!? Why has no one told me this before! I'm suspicious of you all now... prove you're really from Ohio Bri! I want pictures of Sandusky!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

For our Christmas Stockings and Easter Baskets, my mom used to sneak into our rooms and find silly little toys we had probably forgotten about, or didn't play with anymore. Just small items around the house. She'd fill 'em up. Then she'd throw in some candy or whatever. Sometimes it'd take a day or two for us to recognize our own things.

On to a real suggestion: Borrowing money is a good idea, not getting loans or maxing credit cards though. Just remember its not about the stuff, its about showing your love for them. Yes I understand they're teens, but that's all the more reason why they should have the mature ability to understand and forgive financial difficulties. If they don't, tell 'em to get a job and pay their own damn way. Having their mom all stressed out about it, which would probably make you cranky towards them, is not gonna make their Christmas a happy one.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
How is it I am OUT OF MONEY and it isn't CHRISTMAS YET and I've got STUFF to BUY? HOW?!
Too many hookers.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ah, Sky---don't take it so hard! You are completey right---they have MORE than enough. It's just my OCD. I used to have a really, really hard time with Christmas (from '95 till about 2002!) but I enjoy it more now. Those are all really good ideas. I just need to learn to manage my money. (or, lack of money!) It'll be fine. It's just astonishing how much I've spent and how little I have to show for it! No worries!

—James Barrie

Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Oh so it wasn't the hookers then?...
Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Um. Guy-hookers?

—James Barrie