The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Wireless Mouse

I just broke down and bought a wireless mouse. I was tempted by CompUSA offering a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse for $19, with no mail-in rebates.

I ended up walking out with a Logitech MX610 Laser Cordless, $29 after I send in a $20 mail-in rebate.

Why spend 10 bucks more and go through the hassle?

The Microsoft supposedly has the best power usage. What sold me on the laser wasn't the 'laser' feature, although I have heard claims that it provides better gaming response than optical, or the fact that it is 2.4 Ghz and has extra buttons for opening mail, volume control, etc.

What sold me is the claim that it has an auto shut off feature that will turn off the mouse when the computer is powered down. I have a few novice users in my house and the worlds most energy efficient mouse will run down if everyone forgets to turn it off.

Anyway, is the 'laser' or 2.4 Ghz of any value over an optical wireless 27mhz mouse? I do seem to be getting a crisper response than with my Compaq trackball (my optical wired Microsoft mouse died two months ago).

I do hope that NimH rechargables have a decent life in these things. I do not want to start eating up alkalines.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
mbpark
Lecturer

Rich,

I'm using a Microsoft wireless intellimouse explorer here with the tilting middle scroll wheel. I haven't replaced the battery in a year.

The extra buttons also work with Expose well. Meanwhile, I have a customer who goes through Logitech wireless mice at the rate of 2 a year.

This mouse has been incredible for me here. Microsoft may screw up a lot, but not with mice.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark
Rich,

I'm using a Microsoft wireless intellimouse explorer here with the tilting middle scroll wheel. I haven't replaced the battery in a year.

The extra buttons also work with Expose well. Meanwhile, I have a customer who goes through Logitech wireless mice at the rate of 2 a year.

This mouse has been incredible for me here. Microsoft may screw up a lot, but not with mice.

Mitch
Thanks for the warning. Do you mean 2 sets of batteries or actual mice?

I also tested the feel of both and found the Logitech to be more comfortable. This is entirely subjective and I'm sure no two people make the same choice.

I'm actually having some trouble with the games I play because the mouse is too responsive.

It's too soon to tell if I made a good decision. I'm just glad to be able to free myself from having to flip the mouse cord out of the way. I'll post my experience in about 6 months.

Tomorrow I will 'cross the Rubicon' and cut out the UPC symbol to mail in the rebate.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 02-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy

I'm actually having some trouble with the games I play because the mouse is too responsive.
you can slow the little bugger down in your control panel, remember.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
you can slow the little bugger down in your control panel, remember.
I know, but I'm hoping to get used to the faster response so I can frag some of these ****ing teenagers.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The Logitech mice/keyboard combos I've head the best success with have docking stations for the mouse when it is not in use. This doubles as the recharger and radio transceiver. I have no complaints, and have used it for years on the original set of batteries.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
The Logitech mice/keyboard combos I've head the best success with have docking stations for the mouse when it is not in use. This doubles as the recharger and radio transceiver. I have no complaints, and have used it for years on the original set of batteries.
I considered that, but I really wanted to keep the cost down. I'm still pissed about the failure of the optical mouse. I might risk $30 for a wireless mouse, but the docking stations and lithium batteries are on the $80 mice.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have the $80 mouse. Hey, it's my main point of interaction with the world.

This accessory is a must, and it's priced right at $4... mouse feet dots at newegg

Little teflon tape circles that you put over each mouse "foot". The Logitech mouse feet are fairly slippery to begin with, but they degrade quickly because they're thin and not glued on too well. This makes the feet extra-slippery and also preserves them against the harsh world of rough surfaces and gunk. After a month you change out the dots and hey, it's like a new mouse.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I have the $80 mouse. Hey, it's my main point of interaction with the world.

This accessory is a must, and it's priced right at $4... mouse feet dots at newegg

Little teflon tape circles that you put over each mouse "foot". The Logitech mouse feet are fairly slippery to begin with, but they degrade quickly because they're thin and not glued on too well. This makes the feet extra-slippery and also preserves them against the harsh world of rough surfaces and gunk. After a month you change out the dots and hey, it's like a new mouse.
Not a bad idea, but these guys have mouse feet that are shaped for my mouse, at least the MX1000 series looks like they will fit my MX610.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
mbpark
Lecturer

Rich,

2 mice. He's a doctor who has gone through 2 of the logitech wireless mice. The old one decorates his office.

On the other hand, he still has a 101-key keyboard on his desk that has lasted an incredibly long time.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote