The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Dwellar Secrets

Tell us something cool (or uncool) about you that's awsome and we don't know.

Glatt's "titles" thread is revealing titles we hold but hide, and somewhere else foot3 admitted to an awesome sailing feat3, and there were at least two other interesting admissions recently that I can't pinpoint now.

brag or share quietly. We like hearing about success. We promise not to tap you for a loan.

And we need happy-fun-good stuff.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

Were you a Spelling Bee champion? Do you model granny knickers? Has your tweet been twatted?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Tulip
Professor

Here's something about me: I'm as common as common can be. I have a very common face. I've been mistaken for someone else very often. I look like someone they know. When men ask me, "Do I know you from somewhere," it's not a line but a sincere question. I looked like this girl in his chemistry lab class, someone they worked with, etc. My best friend saw triplets of me before, and she swear she almost walked over to say hi. Recently, I was at a department store and this sales person asked if I were from out of town. Said he said I look like this restaurant owner from the city he moved from. Height, I am of average height in my age range if I were to go back to Vietnam. A friend who had recently immigrated from Vietnam said I would not feel tiny at all. My height is average. I have an average intelligence, average humour, average personality. At least I'm not bad.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was a spelling bee champion. I made it to the top ten of my area and was on TV. I lost early amongst this group, misspelling a simple word due to nerves and lack of composure.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was an ice-skating champion in 7th grade.

I was on a swim team for years.

I took ballet, tap and jazz for years.

I was kind of an athlete - before I started to wear black eyeliner and smoke ciggies in the park before school.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm a former President. Of my sophomore class.

I've jumped out of a plane and have my advanced open water scuba training.

My 2 mile relay team held the school record for 20 years.

I coulda been a contender.

I'm a complete slob, the anti-domestic.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I peaked in high school. President of student council, captain of the wrestling team (junior & senior years) and track & field team.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
infinite monkey

I peaked in HS too.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
glatt

I've shared too much already. I don't think I have many secrets anymore.

Did I tell you about the time I was on a hot air balloon crew? I think so, but I'll go into more detail.

My neighbor when I was a teenager was a chiropractor who called himself Doctor in social settings. I was friends with his kid. They were "rich." One day, the Dr. decided he would get into hot air ballooning. So he bought a balloon and got his pilot's license. They had a big back yard that met our back yard in back, and launched the balloon probably 20 times over the course of 3-4 years from that back yard. I hung out with them all the time, and was on the launch and chase crew for most of their launches. I got to go up 3 times. It's a tremendous amount of fun to go for a hot air balloon ride. No wind, because you are traveling with the wind. Very quiet and peaceful. You can hear people talking on the ground, and dogs barking at you when you go over their houses. No sense of movement at all. It's a little scary if you are afraid of heights when the ground drops away. That's not poetic talk. The ground really does drop away when you first go up. You have no sense of motion. You're just standing in the basket watching the world go by.

Here's a picture of me (in the hat) at a balloon fest, and one I took of my house on my first flight from their back yard.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
infinite monkey

:applause:

Look at you! And there's that VW bus!

My ex and I did a hot air balloon ride once. It was really cool.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
casimendocina
Professor

My folks lived on the Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory when Western Desert Aboriginal art started to make the transition to its saleable form in the early 70s. They worked closely with and were friends with Geoff Bardon-the guy who was became known as the mid-wife of Aboriginal art (because he assisted the tribes in giving birth to it in its commercial form).

http://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/in...load/1425/1729

Unfortunately, mum was very sick when she was pregnant with me and couldn't stay on the settlement as the medical resources to cater for her weren't available.

So, not an experience of mine directly, but the background of Papunya and Yuendemu loom large in the folklore of the nuclear family.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I shook hands with HRH the Princess of Wales (when she still held that title).
I've sung at both the Royal Festival Hall and the Albert Hall.
I've been over the Valley of the Kings in a hot air balloon.

I played Blousey Brown in my school performance of Bugsy Malone.
Occasionally I run into people from school and they still remember me for that.

Despite sometimes saying I have, I did not really appear in a Birdseye Fishfingers advert.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have audio on my computer of Isaac Hayes saying some really fucked up stuff (like, philosophical things he actually believes, as he was chatting between voice recording sessions.) I also have audio of some prominent baseball announcers that could theoretically get them fired, though probably not, depending on whether the boss doing the firing was a woman.

I got a perfect verbal score on my SATs.

I went to high school with several famous musicians, the personal aide to Bush when he was President, Bush's twin daughters, and the guy who starred in the TV show The O.C. I was also in a play with that dude, though it was outside of high school, oddly enough.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

let me see...
1. i played cello and trombone.
2. i was selected as man of the year for the county i live in.
3. i was mistakenly reported on cnn as being killed in the line of duty after i was shot in a traffic stop in 1989.
4. i was an extra in several movies and tv shows.
5. i have written articles for several hunting and historical publications.
6. a girl i dated in high school later appeared in playboy's girls of the sec.
7. my college roommate hosted a show on tnt and is now an executive with tcm.

i feel like a washed up has been who would have been better off to have passed away 10 years ago while i was at my peak.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
glatt

That's the nature of telling stories about your life. It's all in the past. At any point in your life, you can be telling stories, and each one of those stories is in the past. You'll certainly have stories that will happen to you in the future, but once they happen, they will be in the past and you'll be a has-been again.

I like to always have plans for a vacation or something else, so I've got something to look forward to. It's important for my mental health. Even if it's a year off.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote