FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #166
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Cars do that without flipping over.
Some cars do it, sometimes... So do SUVs, sometimes.
Quote:
xoxoxoBruce - at this point I am only laughing at your spin. Tires that you say wear faster because they fight each other also so not fight each other. You are being comical - right?
I'll let the readers be the judge of that, loser.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #167
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm not sure how the subject changed from 4WD to rollover accidents, but here is the story:

http://montgomerynews.com/articles/2...1461385270.txt

It only specifies 2001 GMC and so it was probably the full-time AWD Sierra.

The crash happened at 8 in the morning so we are guessing all-nighter to get to FL for Xmas and the driver fell asleep.

But what lesson is there? Whilst searching for the story I found this crash story, in which the single driver does nearly the exact same thing: drives off the right hand side of the road, then over-corrects. And the vehicle, which is a 1997 Mercury, not a truck, does not roll over. Instead it flies into the median and hits a tree. Killing her instantly.

From my experience driving various vehicles, I would far rather be in the Sierra than the Mercury. And so would the occupants of the Sierra, none of whom were killed instantly (one died later), and one of whom left the scene without a scratch.

I'm guessing that if I were driving the Sierra I would not have over-corrected, but in the Merc I might have. The big bubble tires and high clearance on the truck mean you can handle being in the rough a little bit. I once nearly lost a Mazda 323, not because I drove it off the road, but off the 1" edge of an exit ramp. The skinny tires caught the edge and nearly pulled the wheel out of my hands due to FWD torque steer. Unsafe at any speed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #168
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I'm guessing that if I were driving the Sierra I would not have over-corrected, but in the Merc I might have. The big bubble tires and high clearance on the truck mean you can handle being in the rough a little bit.
So why were failing Firestone tires causing so many rollovers and overcorrecting on big SUVs? And not on cars?

What makes crashes so deadly? Roll overs. Which vehilces roll over most because they are so danagerous? Four wheel drives that are too high, unstable, and that also have wheels fightinng each other. Facts are that SUVs are the most dangerous passenger cars. And need all kinds of additional safety equipment because they are so dangerous. The last vehicle an informed passenger wants to be in on icy roads is the four wheel drive. But that is not what most believe because a newsroom bimbo recommends four wheel drives.

Same newsroom bimbos also recommend those back saver snow shovels that are so bad for the back.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #169
tw

Car Guys were also discussing another SUV - a Jeep. Its steering so bad that a shock absorber must be attached. Without the shock absorber, the wheels can vibrate violently. Their conclusion was that Jeep's steering 'shock absorber' needed to be replaced.

No safe vehicle has such badly designed steering. Klick and Klack defined the Jeep's suspension as "barbaric". Of course. You don't buy such vehicles for safety. But it can be hyped 'safe' to those who know despite facts. They defined a Jeep' suspension and steering as barbaric.

So why is Obama black?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #170
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Same newsroom bimbos also recommend those back saver snow shovels that are so bad for the back.
And these:

edit: I always thought something similar to the jerk glasses (crossed-eye effect) would happen with those shoes with the springs in them. In a couple years there would be an epidemic of people walking around all wobbly-spring-legged, like newborn foals.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shawnee123; 01-07-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #171
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
edit: I always thought something similar to the jerk glasses (crossed-eye effect) would happen with those shoes with the springs in them. In a couple years there would be an epidemic of people walking around all wobbly-spring-legged, like newborn foals.
No problem. Put magnets in those shoes. That will also cure cancer.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #172
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
What makes crashes so deadly?
Without question, the most deadly aspect to all crashes, including rollover (involved in 33% of fatal crashes cite) is driver behavior.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #173
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Front page of local paper showed some woman standing next to her overturned 1 month old Jeep Cherokee, hands on her mouth in utter horror. What happened? Dumbass slid off the road, probably thinking her big old SUV could do ANYTHING. SUPERCAR. No one else was anywhere near her. She got what she deserved. I think about my two week old car being killed by some dumbass, not because I bought a car that was the woman's equivalent to a penis substitute, and I don't know how to fucking drive. I wish I knew who she was, so I could laugh in her face (not really but man this is a hot button.)

Truth of the matter: very rarely are there real "accidents." It's usually some dumbass who thinks they are the world's greatest driver, omnipotent in the driver's seat of some behemoth that slides on the ice just like every other fucking car on the road. Making everyone else's lives miserable: the families of the people they kill, the people they hurt, the cars they demolish, the cats they make wait at home because their owner won't get home from work for 2 hours because dickface made a sudden lane change and caused an "accident." Being drunk isn't the only cause for vehicular homicide. Good old ego and stupidity can take seats next to dumbass drunk.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #174
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Good old ego and stupidity can take seats next to dumbass drunk.
I would say they occupy many more seats. They are the cause of many a motorcyclists death.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #175
tw

A cop once explained to me why SUV tailgate so aggressively. These drivers judge distance by how much you fill his windshield. If you car is below his hood, then you do not fill his windshield. So he gets closer.

18 wheelers are taught how to judge distance. And are held responsible for bad behavior. Rare is to have a 18 wheeler driving like an SUV. Two completely different attitudes.

And then that SUV driver 'feels' he is safer - to make things even worse.

But then Obama is black. Right?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #176
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your generalizations betray your prejudice and ignorance.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #177
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Your generalizations betray your prejudice and ignorance.
Yesterday morning a four wheel drive was coming down the hill. Drove across my lane, across the first home's front yard (took out the mail box), into a small parked car, and into the front porch of a second house. That front porch collapsed on top of the truck. Completely disconnected from the house. They had to climb out a passenger window. Doors would not open.

He was confused. Said he had four wheel drive on. Did not understand why he could not keep it on the road. A fireman gave him a funny look and walked away. Obviously as a 4x4 driver, he did not understand.

Amazing how many 4x4 drivers just know they have more control. Because advertisng tells them to know. When confronted by reality (wheels so fighting each other to even increase tire wear), four wheel drive owners only deny. And post no facts. Just silly comments such as Bruce's. Also called wasted bandwidth.

He took out a front porch that was across the front of that house. The homeowner has just refurbished that porch this summer.

He was in four wheel drive. A moving four wheel drive obviously has less traction and control. He could not even steer away from the parked car. He was using four wheel drive. It gets you started. And creates decreased stability and controls. But many know othewise because advertising and emotion says otherwise.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #178
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You aren't even smart enough to stop digging.
You should work for FOX news.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #179
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You aren't even smart enough to stop digging.
You mean you do not need your grave yet? I could have sworn that was you driving into that porch. Same attitude. Same denial. Well, since you are driving a four wheel drive, we will keep the grave open. Chances are either you or your victims will need it.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #180
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't own a four wheel drive, I don't need one. But if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one because I know their advantages and their limitations. I've driven them all, from a WW II 6x6 and old school Jeep CJs, to the modern 4x4 trucks and SUVs.

You keep citing these cases of people fucking up because they don't know how to drive, and blaming on the vehicle/manufacturer/advertising, instead of where the blame belongs, squarely on the driver.

I would venture the people that don't know how to drive properly, are now the majority, especially in adverse weather. If you rent or borrow a car, do you need instruction first? Of course not, cars have become an appliance, as easy to operate as a microwave oven. Something to move you from point A to point B without thinking, or interrupting your multitasking.

Does J.Q.Public ever stop and think about how they are controling tons of material at lethal speeds, in close proximity to others doing the same thing? Of course not, they are to busy thinking about other shit other than driving.

Therefore it's highly unlikely they ever think about the coeficient of friction, or slip angles, due to changing weather/road conditions. Too busy worrying about they might be late picking up the cat at the kitty spa.

So save your descriptions of 4x4s wreaking death and destruction, there are just as many 4x2s doing the same thing, and for the same reason, the drivers.