The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #151
glatt

I think there is a lot of room for improving the system.

I would like to see violent criminals and lifers housed in different facilities from all other criminals.

I'd like to see the guards put an end to the widespread rape and other assaults that occur in prisons. They currently look the other way, and nobody cares. This makes prisoners full of hate and violence when they get out and rejoin the rest of us in society.

I'd like to see some sort of program that would identify prisoners who can be rehabilitated, and work hard on rehabilitating them. It should be the top priority of the system for this group.

I'd like violent prisoners to be held in prison until they can pass some sort of evaluation that shows they are not a risk to society, even if that means holding on to them for longer than their sentences. The number one reason for prison is to protect society.

At the same time, I'd like people who are not a danger to society to be put in some sort of minimum security rehabilitation program, and I'd like their sentences to be short.

I'd like mentally ill prisoners to be put in high security mental hospitals and held there until the doctors think they are not a danger.

And finally, if you are going to differentiate between kids and adults, you should always differentiate between them, regardless of the crime. The law should be applied equally and consistently to all.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #152
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I think there is a lot of room for improving the system.

I would like to see violent criminals and lifers housed in different facilities from all other criminals.

I'd like to see the guards put an end to the widespread rape and other assaults that occur in prisons. They currently look the other way, and nobody cares. This makes prisoners full of hate and violence when they get out and rejoin the rest of us in society.

I'd like to see some sort of program that would identify prisoners who can be rehabilitated, and work hard on rehabilitating them. It should be the top priority of the system for this group.

I'd like violent prisoners to be held in prison until they can pass some sort of evaluation that shows they are not a risk to society, even if that means holding on to them for longer than their sentences. The number one reason for prison is to protect society.

At the same time, I'd like people who are not a danger to society to be put in some sort of minimum security rehabilitation program, and I'd like their sentences to be short.

I'd like mentally ill prisoners to be put in high security mental hospitals and held there until the doctors think they are not a danger.

And finally, if you are going to differentiate between kids and adults, you should always differentiate between them, regardless of the crime. The law should be applied equally and consistently to all.
I agree with almost all of this. One of the things that most disgusts me about my country is the majority's total apathy towards the living conditions of prisoners. Prison rape is not funny, people.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #153
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I agree too. Well said! But I must say that somehow, not specifically in this instance, that the punishment should fit the crime.

Last edited by yesman065; 07-20-2007 at 03:01 PM.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #154
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I agree too.

It's just hard for me to come to terms with those atrocities coming out of the minds of such young people, and I have a hard time differentiating between someone who could do such things at 15, or at 18, or at 35.

Our criminal system is horrible; I know I have no solutions. So many people who get out want to get back in, it's the only life they know.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #155
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Our criminal system is horrible; I know I have no solutions.
Maybe the Philippinos have it right????

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #156
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
the punishment should fit the crime.
I'd agree with this too, but I'd wager that everyone has their own idea of what a fitting punishment is. Just read through this thread.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #157
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

yeah I know Glatt - but again not on this specific case, but in general, there are crimes committed by "kids" that deserve far longer sentences than the year and a half or two that they get because the system says so. Things need to be more flexible and allow those who deal with this stuff all the time the ability to determine what is "fitting."
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #158
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I never said what I thought the punishment should be in this case. I did say to try them as adults, because of my feeling I outlined in post 154 (sounds like an American Legion baseball team.)

Lord knows what the punishment should be. I'm sure we run the spectrum on what is appropriate, as you said.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #159
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Things need to be more flexible and allow those who deal with this stuff all the time the ability to determine what is "fitting."
I absolutely agree with that. I hate the idea of legislators telling judges what they have to do in certain situations and not letting them look at the particulars for each case.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #160
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Lovely idea, but look at everything else the government does.... the people put in charge.... political pressures.
Flexibility spawns abuses that spawn inflexible rules.
Shit like that promotes systems that are worse than the problems they are trying to solve.
Pardon my cynicism.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #161
glatt

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of our public school system, but with high security. I have no idea how to identify those who can be rehabilitated. It's not my area of expertise.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I know... that's the problem, who does? I don't trust assholes like Dr Phil, and I'm afraid Dr Wolf would execute everyone.
This has been a conundrum since 1787 when Dr. Rush founded the Philadelphia Society for Alleviating the Miseries of Public Prisons.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #163
aliasyzy
Soylent Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
i personally think they should lock all the guys who did it away until the 12yr old son turns 18, then they should let him execute each and every one of them.
only vengeance could wash away the humiliation he and she have suffered.
aliasyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 AM   #164
Squid_Operator
[Radio Operator]

I say love your enemies.
Squid_Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #165
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But don't let your enemies love you.