The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #31
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Don't Read this, Cyclefrance!

And Bucky is gone. I would have bounced Ace, but Bucky was going to go before much longer. Elliot is on the bubble big time.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #32
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

I've wanted Bucky gone for a while, but I thought he did a good enough job with Queen. Oh well, good riddance.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #33
MaryMary
Confounded Conjuror

I would have chosen Ace to go before Bucky.....I liked Bucky.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:57 PM   #34
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! Make it stop!
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #35
FYREDEUS
olde soul

OHOH Steve admits HERE to watching Idol...hehe...

Queen Week was interesting since so many of them are actually pretty good singers yet gave less than stunning performances...Ace and Kat in particular seemed not quite 'big' enough for their respective songs...imo that only shows how TREMENDOUSLY talented Freddie Mercury was...

I thought Chris did best and the FUN Taylor missing the last few weeks is BACK.
FYREDEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #36
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
DON'T READ THIS CYCLEFRANCE...And Bucky is gone. I would have bounced Ace, but Bucky was going to go before much longer. Elliot is on the bubble big time.
Thanks... I didn't.... Have managed to prevent myself clicking on any of these threads since Tuesday.

Saw the show tonight. Thought Brian May was a bit anal not wanting to try a different arrangement for Ace. The idea of te different drumbeat might just have worked. Given that Mr May put him down twice I thought he performed the song pretty well.

Cannot believe, however, that just as Chris was about to sing, the mother-in-law (who was visiting) sat down on the changer and the screen changed to a different channel. By the time I discovered where it was (not a place to venture unless equipped with breathing apparatus!) and re-selected I only managed to catch him doing his final 'jump' - now will have to remeber to watch the re-run to see if I can catch his performance!

Agree that the songs generally beat the singers, but Taylor, Pickler and Katherine managed to take control.

Let's see how they get on with Hot Legs himself next week!

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 04-14-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #37
MaryMary
Confounded Conjuror

I can't wait to see/hear how they do with Rod Stewart! It will be interesting to see what songs they choose to perform.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #38
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Katharine should sing "Hot Legs"

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-15-2006, 02:59 AM   #39
FYREDEUS
olde soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBsjb
Katharine should sing "Hot Legs"

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Oh YES indeed...*imagines Kat singing that in a micro-mini...*

Kat is FYREY HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
FYREDEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #40
Cheyenne
Operations Operative

I do not agree with AI having them sing specified categories. I mean, would a TRUE IDOL sing something that was not in their best vocal area? And I am sorry but NO ONE can live up to Freddie Mercury, so the public view is more of a "comparison" and that is not a level playing field.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #41
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

So glad Fyre is here!

Chey, I agree, but it's just a silly show. I like the categories. It gives young singers the opportunity to meet successful people in music, and the popularity of Freddie, or Rod Stewart, helps everyone connect to the show. There are weeks where the kids get to sing whatever they want.

At the end of the day it's all about ratings and commercials.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #42
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Caught up with Chris's song last night - he's certainly a power house. Clearly Simon doesn't like him because he always manages to move the numbers around to his genre - so Simon thinks he's a bit of a bighead - obviously thinks there's only room for one bighead on the show!

Good evening all round for TV here - after AI, there was a repeat of the prebvious night's Doctor Who - David Tennant in first of the series in which he takes the title role - didn't he do well! Great story and he has instantly taken to the job in hand. You'll enjoy this sreis when it reaches the States.

Evening rounded off with the original version of The Italian Job - Michael Caine, Noel Coward - British humour at its most eccentric -with corny jokes abounding (as when Caine as Charlie Croker visits his tailor - camp naturally - wearing the clothes he had before he was in prison: 'where on earth did you get these?' asks the tailor - 'They were all the rage before I went inside.' answers Caine, response: 'What were you in for? Life?')
Old 04-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #43
Elspode

There's an original version of The Italian Job? Gotta see that.

I like the notion of putting the performers' feet to the fire by making them sing stuff that is clearly not their usual forte. Those that manage to make it sound good, or lend it something of themselves, are bound to have a better shot at success. Any fool can do a cover version of someone else's song, but a performer who can bring something new and interesting to that is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #44
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

The Italian Job (Original, made in 1969) has a certain place in my bosom (so to speak). The scenes inside the traffic control room were actually shot at Twickenham Film Studios where my best pal, Geoff (we still booze regularly), worked after leaving school (his dad was a scene plasterer there) and I actually got to visit during the filming of the control room scenes back in 1968 (at the grand old age of 21). Nice totty on the set as well! - especially the redhead (watch out for her in the film - think she had five seconds on screen!)

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 04-17-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #45
Elspode

Chris was very impressive last night. He did a dynamite job on material that was not exactly in his normal milieu. Taylor gave his best performance yet. Paris is amazing, but will not win. Elliot did very well, but he's just not giving that special "something" needed to win this thing. Kelly stumbled badly, but will stay in the running because she does indeed have the special something that Elliot lacks. Ace was competent, but still needs to go, and I think this week may be his last, unless the teenybopper factor keeps him in, and Elliot goes instead. Katharine was very, very good last night, but this competition is still Chris' to lose.

YMMV.