The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-05-2003, 01:20 PM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Thumbs up Wonderful Days are coming

I'm an animation nut, be it foreign or domestic, and stumbled across this one that will probably hit here next year. A little too much CG for my liking, but its quite beautiful overall if the trailer says anything.

http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well it's sure not Sleeping Beauty or Bugs Bunny.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

There's an anime shop in town that does a great job of importing stuff through second string suppliers quite cheaply. Just picked up the first season of Narutu Other than the fact that I had to read it to the kids, and some poor translations it was great.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
[BJust picked up the first season of URL=http://www.narutoguide.com/animeguide_screens_001.htm]Narutu[/url] Other than the fact that I had to read it to the kids, and some poor translations it was great. [/b]
Naruto is, hands down, my favorite. It seems very silly during the first episodes, but I was floored at what happened to the story between episodes 14-19. I won't reveal much, but the story takes a turn to the extremely serious. Very, very good stuff.

And its got kitsune things in it, too.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Actually the set I got contains the first 21 episodes, so I'm down. I need to order the next set... My favorite is probably Trigun. Though I've not seen how much Cartoon Network cut for it's showing of the series. I owned the whole series on VHS a year before they started and now have it on DVD as well. I'll admit it doesn't look as good though. As for visuals, I assume you've seen Princess Mononoke? (sp?) If you don't mind gore in your visuals the Hellsing series ain't bad, as long as you don't need an ending that makes sense.

By the by, the fox spirit reference didn't slip past me.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
My favorite is probably Trigun. Though I've not seen how much Cartoon Network cut for it's showing of the series.

As for visuals, I assume you've seen Princess Mononoke? (sp?) If you don't mind gore in your visuals the Hellsing series ain't bad, as long as you don't need an ending that makes sense.
I've only seen Trigun on Cartoon Network, so I don't know what changes they've made and Cowboy Bebop is one I actually enjoy more in English. I begged Cartoon Network to not bring Naruto over unless they subtitle it -- the translations and dubbing, I fear, would ruin the story.

Mononoke was very good and Miyazaki's other creation, Spirited Away, was extremely well done!

By the by, the fox spirit reference didn't slip past me.

This pleases me.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I like the dark anime and watch anime unleashed on Tech TV on the weekends - its the only show that I have my PVR tape regularly.

My favorite is Soul Taker (link goes to disk 1) and I just ordered the full 4 DVD set. Its very dark and the imagery is very esoteric.

I recently rented Spirited Away and loved it.

Just visited the sites for Wonderful Days and Narutu and they both look great too!
Old 12-09-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

Spirited Away is the only movie my kid likes that Case and I can tolerate more than once a week. Its saved our sanity more than once. And hearing a two-year-old run around the house yelling "THE RAAAAAA-DISH SPIRIT" is a hoot.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #9
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I don't get tech TV ... damn it.

Perth, Miyazaki also did Castle in the Sky. The art is not as good, but kids tend to love it. It's long too, just the thing when a parent needs to catch his/her breath. I'd also suggent checking out Princess Mononoke, not for the kid however. Has some bloody moments.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
perth
Strong Silent Type

Yeah I have Princess Mononoke, and I'll save that one for when he's a bit older. Castle in the Sky has caught my eye a couple times in the store, but I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.

Miyazaki was somehow involved in one about a girl who finds out someone is checking out the same library books as her. There's a cat figurine called the Baron or something. I watched it with some guy on his laptop on a flight to Chicago. IT was subtitled, but, damn, I can't remember the name of the film and I can't seem to find it available online. I would love to get that one.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #11
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

Miyazaki produces his films under Studio Ghibli

For all of your Studio Ghibli needs: www.nausicaa.net

Perth, concerning the cat movie by Studio Ghibli: Whisper of the Heart
Old 12-09-2003, 10:36 PM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Damn Beef, you are good. I haven't seen that. I'll definately be keeping my eyes open.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:08 AM   #13
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

I was an anime junkie in my previous life, with the bookshelf full of DVDs to prove it
Old 12-10-2003, 07:42 AM   #14
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Great find Kitsune - kudos. The score was as beautiful as the animation. I like the cg/classical animation cominations that are coming out lately - allows for a more dynamic approach. My favorite animes back in the day were things like project a-ko, ranma 1/2, the original Vampire Hunter D etc...
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:29 AM   #15
perth
Strong Silent Type

Thanks Beef! Now I just have to find a place to buy it. I'm gonna hit Google, but any links would be welcome.