The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #721
SamIam

At least one politician is responding to OWS and the continued erosion of the middle class. She is Elizabeth Warren (D) running for senator for the state of Massachusetts. Her speech concerning "class warfare" and tax breaks for the rich has gone viral on YouTube. In just 6 weeks her campaign has raised over 3.15 million dollars, and just 1 in 20 contributions were for more than 100 dollars. If the OWS movement is looking for a leader, they have found one in Ms. Warren. Elizabeth Warren's appeal:

Quote:
Ms. Warren talks about the nation’s growing income inequality in a way that channels the force of the Occupy Wall Street movement but makes it palatable and understandable to a far wider swath of voters. She is provocative and assertive in her critique of corporate power and the well-paid lobbyists who protect it in Washington, and eloquent in her defense of an eroding middle class.

Her larger appeal, though, comes from her ability to shred Republican arguments that rebalancing the tax burden constitutes class warfare. In a living-room speech that went viral on YouTube last month, she pointed out that people in this country don’t get rich entirely by themselves — everyone benefits from roads, public safety agencies and an education system paid for by taxes. And those who have benefited the most, she says, need to give back more.

“You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea — God bless!” she said. “Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”
What a concept - the social contract which is the glue that binds together the members of all civilized societies. The Republicans want a repeal of the social contract so that the big corporations and the wealthy can grow ever richer at the expense of the middle and working class. If the conservatives had their way, the US would become little better than a third world country with the rich in their gated communities and the poor literally dying on the streets.

Warren is also correct in stating that business owners could not have made it without help from the rest of society. The Republicans would have us think that the working class are little better than scum - especially compared to the millionaire "producers." So, tell me. Who built the Hoover Dam? Who is rebuilding the WTC? Who works on what few assembly lines and production lines that the "Job Creators" haven't got around to out-sourcing yet?

American workers, that's who. Without their strong work ethic and dedication no business would ever get off the ground. A nation's, a corporation's, a community's most valuable resource is their people. WE are the 99%!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #722
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Well, hell, stick 10 Republicans, or 10 Democrats in a room together and you'll get 15 political messages from each group.
And the noise is so loud as to be heard even in Yorkshire, UK.

We have the Congress that gerrymandering wanted (don't blame the Germans). And a teaparty that loves what bean counters have done to our economies.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #723
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

So, you're an Occupy protestor, the council have a law against pitching a tent in a park, and have sent in the police to remove tents. What do you do?

silly buggers.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #724
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Awesome!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #725
Lamplighter

ingenious - pythonesque, with a touch of bennyhillity
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #726
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"I see you also ignoring the real problem. When the rich get richer, then jobs are destroyed. How to destroy jobs? Enrich the rich. Reality is that simple."

I ignore nothing...again: I don't care.

I self-employ, so, let the 'rich destroy'.

If a body puts his or future in the hands of another, then he or she gets exactly what he or she deserves.

*shrug*

#

"So, if I'm hearing you right, Henry, they should just pack up and go home yes?"

Nope.

As I've said multiple times: each will (attempt to) do exactly as he or she likes (as each should).

If the 'occupants' want to set up shanty towns and live out the rest of their lives on street corners: fine by me.

And still: they've failed.

"What they are doing is expressing...anger and dismay..."

Yeah, my nephew (five years old) does the same (tantrums).

Tantrums, rarely get him (as 'occupancy' will them) what he 'wants' (though, often it gets him -- as it will them -- what he 'needs', which is usually 'time-out').

"It is serving its purpose"

Feel-good antics by and for neo-hippies (utopians and communitarians): again, fine by me.

Last edited by henry quirk; 12-05-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: corrections, expansion
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #727
infinite monkey

I love neo-hippies. They're cute and cuddly.

All I ever wanted was to be a hippie: I was too young for the first round and now I'm too old for the second round.

Freakin' 80s.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #728
henry quirk

I agree...they make good pets...
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #729
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
I self-employ, so, let the 'rich destroy'.

If a body puts his or future in the hands of another, then he or she gets exactly what he or she deserves.
You do realize that *everyone* is dependent of the hands of others, correct? Being self-employed does not rid of this.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #730
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

All I ever wanted was to be a hippie: I was too young for the first round and now I'm too old for the second round.

Freakin' 80s.
You're an honorary hippie, infinite monkey. Peace!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #731
infinite monkey

Groovy, and peace!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #732
henry quirk

"You do realize that *everyone* is dependent of the hands of others, correct? Being self-employed does not rid of this."

I shop at the grocery not because I must, but only 'cause it's convenient.

That I use conveniences is not synonymous with being 'dependent' on them.

And: I didn't say I was 'self-employed' (as in, I work for myself but still rely on the community to live); I said 'I self-employ'...I employ (use) myself (in making a living, providing for myself, taking care of 'me', etc.).

I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse or anything else coming down the pike, including the (unlikely) possibility 'occupancy' might actually result in 'communitarian heaven' (heaven with a politburo)...
Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #733
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
No, I would argue that prolonged occupation is not the same as a simple "Right to assemble". At some point, against the letter of the law, the initial assembly becomes a form of protest and is no longer an exercise of the Right to assemble but an act of civil disobedience.
It was always a form of protest AND an assembly. What's the point of assembling for redress of grievances if it is not in protest of those grievances?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #734
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse
Everyone likes to think they are ready for the Zombie Apocalypse, but 99.99% of the population will succumb. What makes you think you are so special that you'll be part of the 0.01%? And why would you want to be?

[/Brains!]
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #735
infinite monkey

I know I'll survive the zombie apocalypse. I've said before I have a comedy routine all ready. I'll have the zombies rolling around and laughing so hard, they'll make me their queen.

edit: actually, only 19 more days until the aliens take me home.