The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #16
june
Provocateur

No Mcken, I don't feel compeled to do that “something else”- it's entirely my choice - if i could only make it.

I am not so sure if I understand what you mean by “se” but I know that while I clearly wanted to do that something else, I just don’t have the ability to do it …. yes, I am struggled and I know that I should stop dreaming it.

I don’t feel that insecure to describe the detail of the field that I left behind, but the alternative to the shattered dream I am thinking of entering now might …

For now, since I must pay the bills, it’s only make sense to just keep doing the thing that I have to do, but …. it doesn’t make me feel “ok” at all …. you know.

The article “power of failure” and the “esoteric agenda” are very interesting, thank you Mcken. And thanks also for these: "do you feel compelled to do that "something else" no matter the sacrifice? Is that "se" something that you struggle with or that comes out of the clear blue sky into your brain? Do you feel insecure when you describe the details of that "se", or do you get a clear picture of what you're trying to communicate?"

Last edited by june; 06-19-2008 at 02:02 AM.
june is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #17
june
Provocateur

"Here's some advice for you that will really help you get to the bottom of your confuse. And now an uplift comment to make you understand cheerful. And also, a thank you for sharing your life in us.
extra sparkly lucky for you, too."
[Lumberjim]

I really need that “extra sparkly lucky”, Lumberjim. Thank you. Those advices are very, very helpful, but I think the fact that you guys are actually listen and response is more of a blessing. Thanks again.
june is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

June, what country are you in?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by june View Post
Wolf, I am not so sure what I love to do, but I know that I don’t like a competitive, business like environments. Being around and work with people whom I love and respects are what make me happy, I guess … also helping the unfortunate, the sickness would make me feel worthwhile. And yet I also like to be able to learn and grow though works …. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, I was trying to get to this “specific” field in health care, but you know the story …. didn’t make it.
If you don't like competitive, business-like environments, you made need to rethink healthcare ... okay, they aren't business-like in the same sense that a cube farm is, but healthcare has it's own special challenges. I have the good fortune of being able to wear teeshirts, jeans, and sneakers to work, as well as to work with some pretty cool people, and only have to behave 'professionally' when I'm actually face-to-face with a patient or family, and even then I have some leeway.

I never intended to work in a hospital (well, there was my 9th grade career report about wanting to be a psychiatrist, but that doesn't really count), certainly never had any experience for it, but one fine day, it happened.

If healthcare interests you, even if you can't work at the level that you first imagined, try getting a job in that industry.

Try it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #20
nmckenzie02
Dry Nurse

june, sorry for the delayed response. your welcome for the links, but thanks and praise be to the blogosphere. i'm glad you found them interesting. "se" is just me lazily abbreviating something else. prolly not suited for quote marks...

"...yes, I am struggled and I know that I should stop dreaming it." or perhaps dream from another perspective, like wolf said, on another level, but within the dream.

thanks for noting the difference between feeling compelled to do something and actually making the choice to do it. also for noting that it's a blessing that people here listen and respond.

sounds like you're actually pretty clear about doing the thing you have to do. what is that thing? are there any ways to add value to the pursuit of your se while you do that thing you have to do? do you need a lot of what you got to survive?

what is the cost of living vs. quality of life in your country?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by june View Post
It’s a career’s choice thing.

Here is the story: I have a degree in the field that I am actually good at and have experience on, but don’t love much, I mean .… it isn’t something of value and meaningful to me at the time. So I left to pursue something else. Unfortunately, I have overestimated myself …. Could not achieve it …. Don’t have enough brain cells for it. Now I am loss, can’t go further but don’t want to go back either. So sad, so loss

Please help !
There's an old saying, "If you love what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."

If you dislike your job, it eats away at your soul little by little each day. It makes your life a living hell. I suggest you find a way to earn a living by doing what you love to do. I'd rather make little to no money and do something I love (as long as it provides for myself and my family) than to make a lot of money doing something I hate. Right now I'm making less money than many others who are in a similar position in my part of the country, but I don't mind because I make a decent living anyway, and the job is very casual and fun.

Going to work is a pleasure and I don't mind it when I have to put in extra hours...without pay. (Salary position)
Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
There's an old saying, "If you love what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."

If you dislike your job, it eats away at your soul little by little each day. It makes your life a living hell. I suggest you find a way to earn a living by doing what you love to do. I'd rather make little to no money and do something I love (as long as it provides for myself and my family) than to make a lot of money doing something I hate. Right now I'm making less money than many others who are in a similar position in my part of the country, but I don't mind because I make a decent living anyway, and the job is very casual and fun.

Going to work is a pleasure and I don't mind it when I have to put in extra hours...without pay. (Salary position)
Wise words well put Radar. :applause:

june, and others, would be smart to pay attention.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
lookout123
changed his status to single

another view is that if you start getting paid for what you love you will quickly lose your joy in that thing you did for free.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #24
Flint
Snowflake

You took the words right outta my mouth. . . . Bastard.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
here's some advice for you that will really help you get to the bottom of your confuse. And now an uplift comment to make you understand cheerful. And also, a thank you for sharing your life in us.

extra sparkly lucky for you, too.
Good advice and funny shit. I needed that today.....and in the past too!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #26
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Still somewhat confused over here. You were in a creative field but didn't really want to pursue that career path. The area of healthcare is attractive but you could not achieve the necessary qualifications to progress.

Within the above you obviously have displayed some abilitiy and revealed certain skills that you ought to be able to transfer to another environment - maybe even an area of healthcare that would provide the satisfaction you are seeking.

Trouble is we don't really know what it is out of the experiences you have that you consider attributes you would enjoy employing elsewhere, and on the other hand, the situations that you would prefer to avoid. Added to this there are your personal crises that blur the picture.

I think you need to dissect your life a little more to be able to extract the elements I've mentioned and then concentrate on the plusses, and then identify areas where you will best be able to exploit these - but sensibly, keeping in mind that no career is going to be roses all the way, there'll always be a share of not so attractive elements that you will have to take on board -the trick is to keep these below the level that they are bearable because the positives rule the day.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to expect to achieve everything at once - taking a route that is less demanding but can be seen to be another way into the healthcare environment you ultimately want to work in is another way to work your way towards your goal. For example, my wife wnated to be involved in some area of child help within the educational field. She coudln't face the teacher route. She started off as a school part-time secretary, became full-time, then a governor for special needs. Added to this over the same period she took an evening course in psychology and then in counselling. All these seemingly disparate achievements proved to be the combination that allowed her to become an educational welfare officer, a position that she has enjoyed and found satisfying for ten years now.

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 07-16-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That's the kind of attitude I admire CF.
I'm tired of hearing teens saying they really love something and they really deserve a break because they'll work really hard. Put the work in beforehand. Be prepared to start small. If you love something you'll pursue it whether it's paying you or not.

We get some graduates who come to us expecting work. When they are given a little, so we can suss out their reliability and work ethic, they complain that it's not really what they want to be doing. They are skilled in x, y, z and we have them doing the artistic equivilant of making the tea. They don't understand that talent only gets you so far. Turning up and being willing to work for other people to start with gets you much further. There might be a few outstanding genuises who walk straight into designing whole projects, and running their own events, but that work is mostly given to people with 20 years success in the field, because you know they won't call up one day and tell you that they're going to Ibiza to work in a bar this summer.

We do get good, young, new artists of course.
I'd be willing to bet the ones who want it all now won't be working in the field in 10 years time.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #28
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Every time I see this title, I hear it in the annoying voice of the guy from the Confused.com advert....
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Could cheap car insurance really be the answer?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #30
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Perhaps I need to expand on that comment/question.

Maybe there is a subtle/subliminal connection between car insurance and the attitude you have to life. Let's face it, one of our first financial commitments (over and above the car) is the insurance required to be able to use it legally.

Then, bearing in mind the type of purchase a first car is (i.e. minimal outlay), chances are the insurance might well cost more than the car (mine did).

So, there you have it. Feel that you have been ripped off on the insurance and it might cast a shadow over your dreams and aspirations for your future. Get a good deal and, hey, you feel pretty cool and Fonz-like - life looks like it could be allllll riiiight!

And now you have an avantage - Confused.com (and it's contemporaries) could well swing the odds in favour of the cool outcome over the shadowy alternative. Now we're on a roll....!!

No? Ok - well it is Saturday afternoon/evening - and I am trying to avoid taking Oscar the dog out for a second marathon walk.... does cause the mind to wander into areas otherwise best left unvisited....