The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #2536
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Canwe, Fuckem & Howe, barristers.
That sounds as if it might almost have come from the closing credits of 'Car Talk' on NPR.

Almost, but not quite...
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #2537
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My economics teacher in high school would call them "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe." He also talked about the fraternity "I Tappa Keg," which might get him reprimanded these days.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #2538
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

She had nothing to worry about. Dr Howard, Dr Fine, and Dr Howard were on duty in the emergency room. People don't die from laughing.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #2539
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, there's one way of dealing with marauding Gulls....

Quote:
"Super falcons" are being used by three coastal towns to try to stop "nuisance" seagulls disturbing people.

Councils in Exmouth, Sidmouth and Seaton are splashing out £15,000 in an effort to stop the gulls nesting.

Falconer Jonathan Marshall said: "The birds are crossed between a peregrine, gyr and saker falcon.

"Peregrines are the fastest, gyr are the largest and saker are very aggressive and persistent, which make a manmade super falcon."
'Super falcons' to deter 'nuisance' seagulls in Devon
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #2540
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Dominatrix who chained up men and whipped them is fined... for breaching fire regulations

Lorraine White, 41, was prosecuted by the fire service after they were called to a fire and could not get in to her sex dungeon in Stockport.

A dominatrix who forced men to dress as women while they were chained up, gagged and whipped faces an £8,000 bill ... for breaching fire safety laws.

Lorraine White, 41, was prosecuted by the fire service after they were called to a fire and could not get in to her sex dungeon in Stockport.

Stockport magistrates’ court heard how firemen finally gained access and found a trove of handcuffs, chains and other restraining devices in the basement.

Crews were called to the building on Vauxhall industrial estate, Greg Street, on October 30, 2012 after a maintenance man reported a basement fire.

They struggled to gain access to the property due to the locked doors but eventually they managed to enter and discovered the sex dungeon.

The fire had been sparked by a leaking gas heater.

When questioned, White, the proprietor of the business admitted she had no idea she was responsible for fire safety arrangements.

There was only one manually operated fire alarm and one fire exit was permanently locked.

Fire investigators found several canisters of nitrous oxide, laughing gas, which White’s clients used to get high.

Elizabeth Dudley-Jones, prosecuting, said: “She was asked what would happen if there was a fire when her clients were under the influence of the gas and restrained. She said she had not considered it.”

“She said nothing was too severe. Slight bondage, possibly a mask or gag. It involved a lot of humiliation: doing domestic work and dressing up in women’s clothes.”

White, a former beautician, from Chaseley Road, Salford, pleaded guilty to four charges of fire safety rules, including failing to carry out a risk assessment, install suitable fire alarms, maintain emergency exits, or install emergency lighting.

She was fined £5,000 for the offences and ordered to pay £3,000 costs and a £120 victim charge.

White, who earns £1,100 a month from the business and spent £10,000 refurbishing her smoke-damaged dungeon, agreed to pay the sum at £100 a month.

Peter Grogan, defending, described his client as a small business woman of good character.

He said the business now fully complied with the fire service requirements.

Concluding the case, Chairman of the bench Michael Johnson said: “If you find a business where you can earn more don’t hesitate.”

Peter O’Reilly, GMFRS’ Director of Prevention and Protection, said: “No matter what business you may have, you must take fire safety seriously.

“In this case the defendant admitted that she didn’t know about the regulations and that she had done nothing to make the premises safe.

“I would urge all businesses to ensure their risk assessments are up to date and that the proper procedures are in place to give staff and customers the best possible chance of escape in the event of a fire.”

I suspect that there is more amusement to be gained from this type of 'damned good thrashing' than that outlined above.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #2541
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

He's not dead... he's meditatin'...

Quote:
Devotees of a dead guru in India have told the BBC they put his body in a freezer to preserve him as they believe he will return to life to lead them.

Ashutosh Maharaj was declared dead by authorities in Punjab on 29 January after a suspected heart attack.

But, confident that he was merely in a state of deep meditation, his followers froze his corpse.
The rest is here.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #2542
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Sue, Grabbit & Runne, shurely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Canwe, Fuckem & Howe, barristers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
My economics teacher in high school would call them "Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe." He also talked about the fraternity "I Tappa Keg," which might get him reprimanded these days.
I get these electronic newsletters about IP Law, and one of the firms sometimes mentioned is Morrison & Foerster, which calls itself MoFo for short.

So these articles constantly refer to the MoFo attorneys. I have to wonder if anyone over there has any idea what the rest of the world thinks of when they hear "mofo."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #2543
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Woman accidentally joins search party looking for herself

Quote:
A missing woman on vacation in Iceland managed to unwittingly join a search party looking for herself.
Toronto Sun reports that a tourist group traveling by bus to the volcanic Eldgja canyon made a pit stop near the canyon park. The woman in question went inside to freshen up and change her clothes at the rest stop, and when she came back “her busmates didn’t recognize her.”
Word spread among the group of a missing passenger, and the woman didn’t recognize the description of herself. Next thing you know, a 50-person search party was canvassing the area, and the coast guard was mobilizing to deploy a search party of its own.
About 3am, some genius in the group finally figured out that the missing woman was actually in the search party, albeit in different clothes, and the search was called off.
No word on what kind of wardrobe was involved in this woman’s “freshening up.” But her sense of self-image must be way out of whack to join a search party until 3am without even suspecting for a minute that the woman in the description bore some resemblance to herself.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #2544
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

She's a joiner...
Old 03-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #2545
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

hahahaha, My brother did that once. When he was caving/potholing. Hadn't signed back in at the hostel and then when the search parties went out they didn't say the name of the 'missing' cavers. So, off he and his mate went with them all lol
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #2546
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Who amongst us hasn't wedged a Range Rover in a basement? I know I have.

Name:  range-rover_2862662b.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  65.0 KB

Quote:
A new £80,000 Range Rover with less 500 miles on the clock is likely to be written off after it careered off road and got stuck between a wall and a basement.

The female driver and three passengers escaped unscathed after the 4x4 crashed through railings on a residential street, across the pavement, and then plunged down a 14 foot drop to become wedged between a wall and basement.

The white Range Rover Sport got stuck on its side after the crash at about 5am on Sunday, in the wealthy London district of Fitzrovia.

People who saw the aftermath of the crash said they were surprised the driver and her three female passengers had not been injured,

The car, which has a 2014 registration, costs more than £80,000 before any extras are added.

Farook Rahman said: “I noticed the railing was smashed and there were some skid marks on the pavement, so I went over for a look.

"I couldn't believe it when I saw this posh car stuck at the bottom.

"That would either take a lot of skill or bad luck to land a huge car down there.

"I spoke to one of the neighbours who said the car had four girls in it and they were all right, which in itself is a miracle.

"I've never seen anything like that before. Wow."

The roof was wrecked from the crash and it is now thought the luxury four wheel drive will be written off.

The car can go from 0 to 62mph in just five seconds and has a top speed which is electronically limited to 155mph.

The Metropolitan Police said the incident was not a police matter and they would not be investigating.
Daily Telegraph.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #2547
glatt

Quote:
The Metropolitan Police said the incident was not a police matter and they would not be investigating.
WTF? It's legal to drive like that there?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #2548
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My guess is diplomatic plates.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #2549
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
WTF? It's legal to drive like that there?
Well, the Police have had similar problems so they are not best placed to criticise.

Name:  article-1054736-029E903D00000578-770_468x705.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  article-1054736-029D22C900000578-267_468x385.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  article-1054736-029D22B900000578-184_468x352.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  74.3 KB

Daily Mail.

ETA: Crossed with Sundae's post. I suspect that you have hit the nail on the head there, Sundae.

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-26-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: As above.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #2550
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I guess that happens when you leave giant gaping fucking holes two feet off the roadside.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 03-26-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Well, two feet and a sidewalk...
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote