The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #271
monster
I hear them call the tide

Nah, the best protection is living in a tip. If you can't find anything -neither can they and they'll probaly be too disgusted when they peek through the windows to even bother trying.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #272
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Now, if you are carrying the gun around the house, or keep it in a convenient place, it's much more likely to be gotten a hold of by the kids, with the result possibly being injury or death. That's a risk I'm not willing to take, in my house with my family. The likelihood of a home invasion is much less than the likelihood of misuse or accident.
That's precisely the point, I'm not telling you what to do in your house. You don't seem to feel the same.

But yes, guns can be such a bother. Now I have to drive all the way to Boothwyn, must be 3 or 4 miles, to pick up another gun I've won. The 7th I've won IIRC.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #273
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's precisely the point, I'm not telling you what to do in your house. You don't seem to feel the same.
How many times have I said V-O-L-U-N-T-A-R-Y?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #274
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How many times have I said no? :p
Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #275
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
I find that a good dog is best for home invaders. Guns are not always close to hand but a dog is foolproof, even more scary than a handgun anyway and will announce itself before you even open the door. Which gives the bad guys a chance to change their little minds.

Works for my truck all the time.
I agree with you on that one Brian. That's why we have one big dog and one small. The small one always barks first, and if she barks like there's actually someone there, the big dog then gets in on the act.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #276
rkzenrage

If I was breaking into homes, tazer the dog move-on, if working alone. If working with a partner lock the dog into another room.
Most dogs, unless trained will leave you alone once you are in the house and you give them a treat.
Watch the show about the burglars that now show people how easy it is to break into their homes. The dogs just follow him around until he gets annoyed then he just locks them into a room.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #277
Spexxvet

Quote:
How many times have I said no? :p
Then recant this:
Quote:
Since it's precisely NOT the point, as I'm not telling you what to do in your house.

I'm appealing to reason. You don't have to see reason.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #278
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You appeal is not reasonable. It's also not logical nor would it be effective.
Use your head...you want me to voluntarily give up just my hand guns. Ok, how do I do that?

If I sell them, then someone else will have them, so how does that help? The guy that buys them might live next door to you.

Maybe I should put them in the Goodwill or Salvation Army collection boxes. That would get them into the right hands, huh?

How about beating them into plowshares? Nope, don't farm anymore.

Are you suggesting I destroy $11,000 worth of hand guns, that aren't hurting anybody, that are safely locked away, that don't make a stinkin' bit of difference in your life or anyone else's but my own, and if destroyed still wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to anyone but me?

Is that what you want, bunkie? Would that put your mind at ease? Would that let you sleep better?

Get a fuckin' life, Hillary.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #279
Aliantha

Most burglaries are spur of the moment things rkz. Very few are planned to any great extent, and I don't buy the suggestion that dogs don't put burglars off. If there's two houses side by side and one has a dog and the other doesn't, which would you pick if you had no specific reason to choose one or the other besides ease of access?

Aside from that, dogs protect the house and yard when there's no one at home. All the guns in the world wont do anything for you if you're not at home to use them.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #280
rkzenrage

Surrre, why listen to the professionals, how silly!?

You pick the house you case, the hosue you feel has the best stuff in it, the dog does not enter into it.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #281
Aliantha

Most criminals are lazy rkz. That's why they're criminals. They don't like working hard.

Simply make it as difficult as possible for them to get in and they'll just as likely pass you by and move on to an easier target.

Why would you bother with a house which has a dog or two in the yard. High fences. Security systems and bars or security screens on all the windows and doors along with deadlocks on all of the same when there's a house in the same neighbourhood which has none of the above?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #282
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

because they have better stuff !!!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #283
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Most criminals are lazy rkz. That's why they're criminals. They don't like working hard.

Simply make it as difficult as possible for them to get in and they'll just as likely pass you by and move on to an easier target.

Why would you bother with a house which has a dog or two in the yard. High fences. Security systems and bars or security screens on all the windows and doors along with deadlocks on all of the same when there's a house in the same neighbourhood which has none of the above?
To steal the dogfood, of course.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #284
Aliantha

Zippy, the point is, there's always going to be easier places for average low tech criminals (the majority are smash and grab) to get into than one where the owner has gone to some effort to protect their home and contents.

I'm not suggesting they don't ''case'' potential sites. What I'm suggesting is they do and then decide it looks like too much work and move onto another place that'll be a shit load easier.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #285
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I know ( I used to put alarms in for a liveing ) , useualy they just kick in a door and grab what they can ,
But all that security is like a quest for some !!
They just GOTS to see what these folks are hideing in there !!