The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Hand wringing about Jill leaving.

Here is where you can wring your hands over Jill's leaving. Breast beating and brow furrowing is in another thread.

"If only I hadn't been so sarcastic..."
Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

Someone who has been absent for a long time packed up and left after a short visit??? OMGoes to get another bowl of cereal...
Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

But I want to beat my breasts here!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, since I was the one who made the fuss about it:

I am a little pissed she's gone, but to be honest i was more pissed that yet another seemingly reasonable person has been driven away by aggression and personal attacks when attempting to have a political discussion.

But hey, if you want to characterise that as handwringing over the loss of one member you go right ahead.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

She'll be back.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
DanaC

Maybe, maybe not. Really not the point though.

Last time she left for how long? a year or two? Just long enough to forget what drove her off the last time (getting into a firefight with a wingnut in the politics forum) and then she came back and was given a stark reminder.

Well done us.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

OFFS she's clearly an attention ho -moreso than me, even. Would you have mourned so if she had dressed to the right rather than the left?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
(getting into a firefight with a wingnut in the politics forum)
It takes two to tango. It should have been apparent from the first half-dozen posts that she wasn't going to convince either UG or Merc of anything. No harm if she wants to continue past that point, that's her call, but it's kind of silly to cry foul and leave when you only got what you insisted upon receiving.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
OFFS she's clearly an attention ho -moreso than me, even. Would you have mourned so if she had dressed to the right rather than the left?
If she'd dressed to the right and been treated the way she's been treated in the politics forum, yes.

I really don't see she was an attention whore. She clearly enjoys having a political debate. It's just a shame that isn't really an option in here.

I also like having a political debate but I rarely do so these days.

@ Clod: Jill recognised her role with Merc and fessed up to it. Then got shat on somewhat more mildly, but still as far as i can see for no real reason, by someone else. Less of an attack, but on the back of the previous one, I can see why she just thought oh fuck it. Y'know, it just isn't worth it.

A sentiment I can fully relate to.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
DanaC

Just to be absolutely clear: though I like Jill, I don't really know her that well. I'm not oh so upset that she isn't here. I'm annoyed at the way this keeps happening. She isn't the first and she won't be the last. Reasonable people attempting to have a robust political discussion with people of varying opinions end up being subjected to personal attacks and trying to argue rationally with people who are being irrational.

That doesn't make for a fun debate.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I have lots to say about politics, but I won't say it here. I've observed that there is no possibility whatsoever of a reasonable political debate on these forums.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
DanaC

Right. So, if your main gig is politics and you come to the Cellar expecting to be able to engage in that subject with other people who are interested in politics, you can expect to be insulted, derided and disrespected.

Little surprise then that we keep losing political animals.

It is not healthy.

And as for the left-right split: I don't know why it is, because there are rational and reasonable people of all stripes in the cellar, but the ones that tend to get driven away by this shit do tend to be the left-leaning ones. The most vehement and consistent nastiness seems to come primarily from the right. That's not to say everyone on the right is doing this, but there is a definate imbalance as far as i can see.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
DanaC

No word of a lie, I have had friends express an interest in joining the Cellar and I have warned them away. Because they are into politics and are on the left. So, I know what they'll be faced with when they attempt to engage in a political discussion.

And if they do end up being driven away well, as has bene pointed out in another thread: their fault for being too political right?

Couldn't possibly be that we as a community simply cannot be trusted to engage with people of differing political viewpoints in an adult and respectful manner.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
lookout123
changed his status to single

Dana I love ya, you commie tart but if you think right or left matter in the politics forum anymore you need a serious rethink. Merc and UG are really not that different than spexx and whoever his latest little puppy in crime happens to be at the time. You just happen to agree more often than not with the view from the left so don't notice it. Political discussion in the cellar has been dead for a long time. Now it is just a statement and restatement of positions followed by escalated name calling poopslinging.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't get why we're supposed to feel like hand-wringing wussies if we express that we think Jill got run out on a proverbial rail. Sure, she could have done things differently. So could you. And you. And me. I can still think we might have lost a unique voice.

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to annoy you for as many years as I'm alive.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote