The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 05-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #31
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Is there anything you wish you had been told?
Nope.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #32
Cloud

well, I wish I had been told how to give hand jobs . . .

like THAT was going to happen!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #33
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories of "the Talk," but I would like to redirect people to my original intent:

Is there anything you wish you had been told?
Nope. I thought that when I said they did a fine job, that part would be obvious, but I forget you don't have the same thought processes as me and so it wasn't obvious at all. But I learned pretty much all I wanted and needed to know. All of the things I wish I had known you can't teach someone, they have to learn on their own. And if they had tried to explain those things I would have ended up more confused than I was in the first place since I had no point of reference to understand until it would have been to late.

One thing I do wish they had done (not told me or taught me) was take me to the doctor for birth control. It would have been much better than wondering if there had been an accident with the condom and whatnot. Maybe if they had made it known that if I ever decided to have sex then they wanted me to be safe about it and they would help me. I was going to have sex regardless so it isn't like they would have made me want to earlier than I did by being open about it. Maybe that does count as something they should have told me, but it is slightly different than what I thought you were referring to so I will leave my answer as is. Sorry for the rambling...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #34
monster
I hear them call the tide

My mum was a hippy. I wish she hadn't told me about the sex ahe had with her boyfriends.

I'll let you know on the "wish I had/hadn't told the kids" thing when they let me know

This morning my newly 8yo son woke me up by climbing into bed and asking "what's sex?"

I don't have a problem with the question, but at that time in the morning all I want is a cup of tea (we don't listen to radio sesame street in the morning.... in the local news, a cop has been charged with forcing couples to have sex......)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #35
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Every kid in my house knew the following by the age of 10:

1) how consenting adults made love and had sex and what the difference between the two were.

2) How people contracted HIV/AIDS and through homosexual behvior, hexerosexual behavior, needle sharing, pregnancy, or blood and body fluid exchange.

3) 99% of all slang sex language and what it means.

4) How to have safe sex, but that our preference was that you did not. If you did you get to go on birth control. Boy - unlimited access to condoms and a long discussion of what it means to be a daddy at the age of 15.

5) A good discussion on how it will change your life forever if you are involved in a teen pregnancy and what responsibilities you will forever be involved in.