The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
monster
I hear them call the tide

Well of course that all depends on whether you want to raise a bunch of conformists or not......

....but I will pass along the info on the typos, thanks -tbh I haven't read it since they "updated" the website

It's a great school. Takes up an incredible amount of my time, though, but I think it's worth it.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #47
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It's a great school. Takes up an incredible amount of my time, though, but I think it's worth it.
It sounds like it. And I know exactly what you mean about the time...
Yes, it's my kids that go to Upattinas (this year anyway, we're not signing up again for next year), and Clonlara is a sort of sister school to us thru the NCACS.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
They need to be schmart to teech da kidz the rite way to spel 'n stuff.
What? You never heard of "learning together"?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #49
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Yes, it's my kids that go to Upattinas (this year anyway, we're not signing up again for next year),
Are you just going to a different alternative style of school, or abandoning the alternative schools altogether? I'm interested in these alternative-but-also-public schools. The only alternative schools around here are Montessori, and the quality varies drastically from one location to the next.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #50
jinx
Come on, cat.

We're not decided yet... we're looking at a couple of different Friends schools, but also considering homeschooling and/or Open Connections.

Definitely not abandoning the alternative approach (we don't have any cool public schools like monster's), and we may end up back at Upattinas some day. We were waiting until after the holidays to really get busy with this. Time's up...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #51
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee View Post
"Well", comes the reply, "after 48 hours of that, tho am I"
The version I prefer delivers the punch line as:

"You're thor! I'm tho thor I can hardly pith!"

Right up there with the story of the young lady whose summertime date took her to the seaside boardwalk (some versions have it as the county fair), and asked her several times what she'd like to do that evening.

Each time she says "I wanna get weighed", so after three trips to the "Guess Your Weight" concession, the date politely takes her home. Her mother greats her with "How did your date go, dear?", and she replies, "Wowsy."

Speaking of cars...the sound system upgrade is complete in Gay Deceiver.

Last edited by MaggieL; 01-08-2007 at 08:17 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #52
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

lol! yes, that's better punch-line, MaggieL. And I laffed at the seaside "wowsy".

and speaking of schools, i bet you would have liked mine....

at 13, I could speak latin and strip & re-assemble a bren-gun blindfold
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #53
monster

We are so lucky to have landed where we did. We're in a great school district, but the schools are so competitive and determined to stay "great" that everything is becoming geared to passing check-box tests and getting better numbers on paper than the other schools.

Result is, the kids are only learning how to memorize facts. They don't learn how to learn from experience and they don't have time to learn any of those other life skills that the examiners haven't found a way to quantify -the skills that come through interaction, play and exploration- like how to compromise, how to be tactful, how to make logical deductions and how to make the best of any situation.

Theoretically, I'd homeschool, but in practice, I'd kill them if I was stuck with them all day. Or come up with some really creative uses for Duct Tape. Homeschoolers have my utmost admiration.

Our school is the perfect solution. I'm very involved, I'm in there most days, I know all the teachers, most of the kids and I know what's going on and what is being learned, but from 7:30 to 11:30 someone else is actually responsible for all my sprogs, they have other people to talk to and play with, I can leave and do paperwork/planning/housework/exercise/whatever in quiet or noisy solitude at home or elsewhere, and can prepare for the midday arrival of the kindergartener. Believe me, that needs some preparation. (Yes, that's Thor).

Also, because it's a public school it's (a) free and (b) not allowed to get "radical" to the point where the kids are unintentionally being harmed by being given free range without being given any guidance as to how to use that freedom wisely. This are the (only) plus points about staying in the public system.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #54
monster

/off topic.

again

Old 01-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #55
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

My red Honda is named Scarlett O'Honda. She's a sassy gal
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #56
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

My Monte Carlo - His name was Monty...last name Carlo. When I made the last payment on him, I owned (wait for it) the FULL Monty

My Ford Focus - her name is Stella - after the accident, we started calling her swamp - because she has a nasty leak somewhere we can't find - and I routinely have water in the passenger seat *sigh*

Our Lexus ES330 - His name is Luther....Lexus Luther. (and yes, I named him!)

Our Rav 4 - well, it doesn't have a name yet. He drives it, and thinks the whole naming of cars is summat silly

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #57
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

.... but can't pull for toffee.....
Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #58
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

If I named inanimate objects I'd call my car, a black 1995 Toyota Avalon, Methuselah, because I want it to live for another 956 years or so.

I've never been and never will be a car lover, so I'd rather spend as little money on them as possible.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #59
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee View Post
and speaking of schools, i bet you would have liked mine....

at 13, I could speak latin and strip & re-assemble a bren-gun blindfold
Sounds like the place where Lindsay Anderson's "If..." happened.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #60
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

very similar.

http://www.qvs.org.uk/

'tho it wasn't co-ed in my day.