Old 05-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Text book disclaimer stickers

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpu...okdisclaimers/
Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

there's only one reasonable response to such silliness.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Very nice, very nice indeed.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

There are other bits you might have missed:

From Mark 12: Jesus answered, "The most important [commandment] says: `People of Israel, you have only one Lord and God. You must love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.' The second most important commandment says: `Love others as much as you love yourself.' No other commandment is more important than these."

I Corinthians 13: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Last edited by mrnoodle; 05-10-2005 at 04:57 PM.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
jaguar
whig

I'm sure the biology textbook had some corkers too, probably less Hallmark though.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
There are other bits you might have missed
If you think that those are things that should be on a warning label, I'm a bit worried.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
mrnoodle
bent

jaguar might think so. i only want "can be deliberately taken out of context to fuel my bitterness and hatred" put on it.

Oh trust me, the love thing proves difficult. No sentimentality about me towards certain people (nor them for me, I'm sure). And naturally, the failures are going to be magnified and the successes diminished, even if people have to reach back to the crusades to do so. Still, it beats "Nothing matters" as a goal. You might try it, jag. doesn't vinegar straight from the bottle taste nasty after awhile?

Last edited by mrnoodle; 05-10-2005 at 05:30 PM. Reason: HM beat me to the submit button with his silly monkey talk
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
there's only one reasonable response to such silliness.
Stop! Your independent thoughts will anger the magical bearded man who lives in the clouds! Boo!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

Loathing would be a better term. After all, we're dealing with an institution that makes Stalin and Hitler look like lightweights in the scheme of things. A institution that has over it's history, been responsible in addition to practically countless deaths, retardation of science (and as this thread shows, is still doing its best to hold us back), retardation of women's rights, homosexual's rights & judging by your xenophobic posts in the IoTD thread, hasn't done much for cross-cultural understanding either. Reach back to the crusades? Hardly necessary. It doesn't have to be that way, I count a number of Christians amongst my friends but people like you in particular demonstrate the way it promotes and bathes in ignorance & division.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #10
jaguar
whig

furthermore, while it might suit your narrow worldview to assume that non-beilief in god means nothing matters I consider myself existentialist. As Satre said, existence precedes and rules essence. Far from that nothing matters what matters is what I choose to matter to me.

On another not, to quote Joan Smith, a wonderful columnist here:
Quote:
We do not need to be reminded of what Voltaire said or is supposed to have said on the subject of free speech but inherit in it is the important distinction between respecting someone's right to express those views and being forced to respect those views, however irrational. If people want to believe that Jesus was God's son or that Mohammed was his prophet I have no problem with that; if they believe in life after death, that's fine too. What they can't insist is that I take any of it seriously, not for a single moment.

Last edited by jaguar; 05-10-2005 at 06:21 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Loathing would be a better term. After all, we're dealing with an institution that makes Stalin and Hitler look like lightweights in the scheme of things. A institution that has over it's history, been responsible in addition to practically countless deaths, retardation of science (and as this thread shows, is still doing its best to hold us back), retardation of women's rights, homosexual's rights & judging by your xenophobic posts in the IoTD thread, hasn't done much for cross-cultural understanding either. Reach back to the crusades? Hardly necessary. It doesn't have to be that way, I count a number of Christians amongst my friends but people like you in particular demonstrate the way it promotes and bathes in ignorance & division.
And what has this to do with God?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

It's what people do in the name of G-d that is troubling.

Speaking of books, how about this article from Dec 2004 - Gay book ban goal of state lawmaker

Quote:
A bill by Rep. Gerald Allen, R-Cottondale, would prohibit the use of public funds for "the purchase of textbooks or library materials that recognize or promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle." Allen said he filed the bill to protect children from the "homosexual agenda."
Quote:
If the bill became law, public school textbooks could not present homosexuality as a genetic trait and public libraries couldn't offer books with gay or bisexual characters.

When asked about Tennessee Williams' southern classic "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof," Allen said the play probably couldn't be performed by university theater groups.

Allen said no state funds should be used to pay for materials that foster homosexuality. He said that would include nonfiction books that suggest homosexuality is acceptable and fiction novels with gay characters. While that would ban books like "Heather has Two Mommies," it could also include classic and popular novels with gay characters such as "The Color Purple," "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "Brideshead Revisted."

The bill also would ban materials that recognize or promote a lifestyle or actions prohibited by the sodomy and sexual misconduct laws of Alabama. Allen said that meant books with heterosexual couples committing those acts likely would be banned, too.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:34 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

Quote:
And what has this to do with God?
God? Not much, institutionalised christianity? Everything. Stickers don't have much to do with god either.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

then there's the part where Kansas is investing over 500 Million dollars to attract bio-tech corporations here. seems like oxymoronic, or maybe just moronic? to try to draw businesses here and then call the system that said work is based on inherently flawed if not dismiss it completely. sometimes I am really ashamed of this state I live in. then again I live in the one oasis of 'sanity' here.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

What they really want is to attrack bio-tech corporations who don't believe in evolution, so they can use the employees as examples of scientists who aren't "brainwashed" by the "religion" of evolution. Whether they actually do any bio-tech work is not particularly relevant.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote