The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Wireless Mouse

I just broke down and bought a wireless mouse. I was tempted by CompUSA offering a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse for $19, with no mail-in rebates.

I ended up walking out with a Logitech MX610 Laser Cordless, $29 after I send in a $20 mail-in rebate.

Why spend 10 bucks more and go through the hassle?

The Microsoft supposedly has the best power usage. What sold me on the laser wasn't the 'laser' feature, although I have heard claims that it provides better gaming response than optical, or the fact that it is 2.4 Ghz and has extra buttons for opening mail, volume control, etc.

What sold me is the claim that it has an auto shut off feature that will turn off the mouse when the computer is powered down. I have a few novice users in my house and the worlds most energy efficient mouse will run down if everyone forgets to turn it off.

Anyway, is the 'laser' or 2.4 Ghz of any value over an optical wireless 27mhz mouse? I do seem to be getting a crisper response than with my Compaq trackball (my optical wired Microsoft mouse died two months ago).

I do hope that NimH rechargables have a decent life in these things. I do not want to start eating up alkalines.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote