The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Shoe on other foot

So, we have a state election with a close race, allegations of fraud, and possible court involvement.

The difference, this time the Republicans are the losers. . After all of the calls on Gore and Kerry to accept loss gracefully and criticisms of Democrats insistence on recounts and protesting invalidated ballots, it will be fun to watch how far the Washington state Republican party will take this. If Washington state still doesn't have a governor by next February, it should become a national embarassment to the entire Republican party, since Gore and Kerry did eventually concede.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
Torrere
a real smartass

Even though I'm on the ground in Seattle, I haven't been paying much attention to this. I find it immensely funny anyway.

I had a great deal of trouble trying to decide who to vote for, because Rossi and Gregoire had such mild-mannered campaigns. They hardly seemed to disagree on anything, except "I will have more success at achieving our common goals than you will!". Rossi didn't seem to be carrying any distasteful religious baggage, and the only thing that people were saying about Gregoire was that she won a lot of money for the state in a tobacco settlement.

So, everyone goes to vote, and although Rossi wins, it's basically a tie. There was a difference of 261 votes out of 2.8 million cast. Since the margin was so narrow, they held a machine recount - Rossi maintains the lead, but it's now done to 42 votes. The Democrats sue for a hand recount, and now Gregoire wins by 129 votes.

A few days ago, Gregoire was sworn in as governor, while Republicans picket for a re-vote.

I doubt the Republican party will let this rest, because it's a great radicalizing issue. I bet that large number of Washington Republicans are pissed off about this 'stolen election'.

Gregoire has been a great target - she can write detailed policy papers outlining her views, but she hasn't done well in public speaking, and a few soundbites have been touted embarrassingly in the public papers. [By contrast, I haven't read many quotes from Dino Rossi about the election. Instead, we hear grousing from Chris Vance, the head of the WA Republican Party, and everyone ignores it.]
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

The tough thing for Gregoire is that in a state where Democrats John Kerry and Senator Patty Murray pretty much cleaned house she barely eeked out a victory over an previously unknown Republican.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote