The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #181
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm off this week, but chaos is reigning at the rehab. I've gotten at least one cryptic text message, and have been making popcorn and watching a doozy of a veiled argument involving unfriendings and accusations over on the facespace.

I had no idea I was that much of a stabilizing influence.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #182
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Not really a story from the rehab, but as I was heading home FROM the rehab, I have decided this counts ...

So, I was minding my own business, driving along, listening to my audiobook, and all of a sudden there were blue/reds flashing behind me.

No biggie. I know I wasn't speeding, so I figured the cop just wanted me to get out of his (or, as it turned out, her) way because there was an important meeting scheduled at the Dunkin Donuts.

I pulled off to the side, and waited for the officer to pass me ... and waited, as the cop pulled in behind me.

Bloody crap. I can't afford a ticket, but I swear I didn't do anything. No speeding, no littering, no rude gestures out the window ...

Cop walks up to the window and I poke my head out, ready to offer my license, registration, insurance card, and a bewildered look.

She steps into my sightline, and I look up and say, "Oh, Hi! What did I do?"

"Oh, it's YOU. Nothing."

"So, why am I pulled over?"

"Your license plate is unreadable."

"Oh, it's probably dirty. I'll give it a good clean when I get home."

"Cleaning won't help it. It has to be replaced."

Crap, I think. it's a vanity plate. They are fuck-all expensive to replace. I had it in my head that it would cost around $50 (and eventually it will, but not all at once)

Short version, I didn't get a ticket, got home and started looking into it. I could have replaced my current plate if I had the police fill out some form that I would have to get notarized, or I could apply for a new vanity plate for the princely sum of $20, plus I'll be paying to renew the tag when it comes up in a few months. But I did learn something ... the Commonwealth no longer automatically replaces all of the existing plates every 10 years, so they are more likely to become illegible over their life span.

My first choice place is now showing unavailable, with my second choice still available, so I know which one I'm getting.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #183
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
My first choice place is now showing unavailable, with my second choice still available, so I know which one I'm getting.
So you're getting a different plate rather than have them send new copies of the same plate?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #184
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yes. It's time to let the old plate go. I had been thinking about it, and the deal pretty much got sealed when I read through the number of hoops you need to jump through to have an existing plate reissued ... which is a pretty new thing, incidentally. It used to be that if a vanity plate got lost, damaged, or stolen it was gone "forever."

After much consideration, I will have a plate that reflects the volunteer stuff that I do.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #185
monster
I hear them call the tide

not
NUT CRKR
?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #186
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That's a good one, but I don't think it would have gotten past the appropriateness screener.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #187
monster
I hear them call the tide

worth a try next time?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #188
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Were I still at the nuthouse, it would have been 302B.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #189
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

302B?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #190
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The section of the mental health law that let me bring nuts before a psychiatrist to be evaluated.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #191
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

renewing my vanity plates cost over $100. Some of that was reregistration, some was the compulsory plates replacement (every seven years). A couple months after I paid to replace my perfectly good plates, the rule was rescinded/expired. *sigh*

The new ones are a totally different color and look, though the number/digits are the same.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #192
wolf
lobber of scimitars

PA charges $20 to issue a vanity plate and $36 for a regular registration. In your first year of holding a vanity plate you end up paying $56, but after that it's only the $36 annual renewal.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #193
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nurse: Female building to Security ... Female building to Security ...

New security guy: Security, go ahead.

Nurse: The girls are reporting seeing a male in tan pants and tan shirt lurking around near the trees.

New security guy: That would be me.

Best overhead exchange of the night. It managed to beat out patients sick in the elevator.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #194
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It never ceases to amuse me ... A 20 minute exchange between the nurse manager and security about an elopement ending with a classic ... "male unit, we have one of your little chickadees and we are bringing him home to the nest."

The new security guy is a former cop. You can tell on the radio. "I have surveillance on the male suspect. He has just entered the Turkey Hill. Police are on scene." He also says "affirmative" a lot.

The nest thing is funnier when you know that the rehab's name and logo includes a bird of prey.

Last edited by wolf; 06-21-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: More to say
Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #195
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

When elopees are returned, do they say "The Eagle has landed."?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote