The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #2236
Cloud

Was it a pet dog or a stray?

and people shouldn't let their pets (including cats imo) roam around at will. And FIX them!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #2237
Griff
still says videotape

I think he's a pet. He had a collar on. He looks like one who was sneaking around my place last summer, earning the warning shot from me. He probably has a home near a local lake (could be a summer visitor) but wanders when he gets off the cable. My Dad's garbage can in his then open basement got torn up a couple nights ago as well. My neighbors are pissed enough to shoot next time.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #2238
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

The only way to keep our black lab from roaming is to hobble him. If we had raised him from a puppy I assure you he would know the fence is his boundary. But he is fixed, and the neighbors know him for the sweet thing he is, so far we haven't had any complaints since we did get him fixed. When we first adopted him we didn't realize his lack of respect for fences, chain link and the 7ft wooden portion. If he couldn't safely roam we would've looked for a farm to put him on, even still we try and chastise him when we catch him out. One of our last dogs was constantly accused of eating our neighbor's chickens (which if she did good, better end for them than dying in the cock fights or constantly being tied up like they were), but there was no evidence supporting their claim. It was most likely the coyote/stray dog pack in the area, which they killed off, . Buddy (the black lab) has also ended the lives of several stray cats that get dumped in the area. I'm not particularly sad about that, they probably would've starved to death, and were only catchable because of they're weakened state. When the fields in the area become developed housing (ew!) my parents are planning on moving to the area my brother currently lives, that is very dog roaming friendly. Part of directions out to the place include "when you're chased by the three white sheep dogs..."

Today I'm upset because I'm on my way to destitution and having to be supported by my parents. More so than I've had to depend on them since high school. On top of that I can't even afford to play World of Warcraft (mainly I miss it b/c of all my friends on it) and it would be a very irresponsible expense. I haven't been that worried about it, except today an especially close friend asked me about it. Lastly, I took my first Hist exam, I think I did well, but I didn't have time to finish the essay question, I still had a good paragraph or two to write on the subject. Hopefully the professor understands my direction and sees enough detail in the beginning to give me full credit, knowing that I obviously fully understand the subject. I'm just a perfectionist and don't want any less than an "A" I need to raise my GPA.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #2239
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #2240
Cloud

can't bleach a gray horse white.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #2241
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah, but you can paint it...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #2242
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just rename it... "Spot"
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #2243
DanaC

You can lead a horse to paint, but you can't make it pink.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #2244
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Change "paint" to "watercolor" and that's a keeper!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #2245
DanaC

Hah! Nicely done. I was thinking 'colour' but that didn't make sense.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #2246
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Was it a pet dog or a stray?

and people shouldn't let their pets (including cats imo) roam around at will. And FIX them!
Disagree about the cats - I think a life indoors is an unnatural one for cats. And they are far less dangerous than dogs. But as a cat owner I am biased and I freely admit it.
Dogs? Definitely not. No dog should be allowed to roam outside - fenced yards and private property only. And ideally on a lead when walking unless on open ground.

And all pets should be neutered unless the owner specifically buys the animal for breeding purposes.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #2247
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

The problem with cats outside is that they like to kill small animals, like birds and squirrels.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #2248
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have no problem with that. It's nature.
BTW I'd hate to see my cat go up against a squirrel. Expensive visit to the vet methinks.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #2249
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

My childhood cat went up against a raccoon and was fatally injured. He was a tough old guy though - kicked the crap outta many other "wild" animals, squirrels included.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #2250
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I live next to a busy highway. I can't see a splat cat, I couldn't deal with that. I rode in the back of the station wagon with a kitty when I was a kid because I had climbed up the old Chinese Elm to see Cinders and he jumped down and ran in front of a car...it was one of the most horrible things I've ever seen. I still have the picture in my head. He was of course put to sleep and I was traumatized for days. (When I went back to school Sister Frances yelled at me that animals don't have souls and I would NOT be seeing my cat again. THis was the only time I remember my mom fighting my battles, but I was in second grade and my mom recalls she ripped Sister French Fry a new one.)

My cats don't go outside, but they have the run of the screened in front porch. I never thought of it as cruel to keep them in...they run and play and seem happy. Now I feel kind of bad.

Tags
swiss