The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #121
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Same as the ADD/ADHD. They change the threshold for diagnosis and then make millions prescribing medications to treat the "illness"

ETA - Not intended to be disrespectful to those with serious issues for whom the medications are necessary.
In fact this whole thing makes it worse for them in some ways.

Last edited by classicman; 01-20-2012 at 09:41 AM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #122
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Lamp, I've had that feeling about other illnesses, so I know what you're saying.

And because the only point of reference I have on the need for medication for mental illness is my long-term use of SSRIs for chronic depression, all I can say is that for me, they've kept me from driving off the proverbial cliff.

I've been to numerous counselors. Really, the time and money involved to "get well" is preposterous. Is taking medication the easy way out? Not for me, I don't have years and years and thousands upon thousands of dollars to go whine to someone who may or may not be able to help me define my issues that have precipitated my depression, in fact I know what a lot of those issues are, having lived this life myself.

Depression is a chemical imbalance. Are they overdiagnosing? Maybe. But I am the 12% and SSRIs have probably saved my life.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #123
glatt

Most people don't wear labels on their foreheads announcing that they are taking meds. So I only know of the friends who have told me that they are having troubles and are taking them. And they number in the neighborhood of 10% of my friends. So I think it's very possible that the numbers are true, based on my anecdotal evidence.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #124
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
This thread is a year old now, and I'm not resurrecting it to get
Dwellars to post again their personal experiences.
Instead, I wonder if others feel that pharmaceutical companies
are feeding the flames of mental illness primarily for $ profit.
Here's how I read this statement.

"Despite having been shown otherwise by people's personal experiences, I insist on clinging desperately to my knee-jerk idiotic notion that there is a secret conspiracy among all Big Corporations to harm us for their own greedy ends. I have no proof of this, and I kind of know that others don't either, so I am requesting a WONDERING about a FEELING rather than actual hard evidence. I will show my bona fides by posting a dollar sign because we all understand it is a symbol of evil and backs up my bogus bullshit idea."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #125
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Perhaps, but I'm in agreement.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #126
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Here's how I read this statement.

"Despite having been shown otherwise by people's personal experiences,
I insist on clinging desperately to my knee-jerk idiotic notion that there is a secret conspiracy
among all Big Corporations to harm us for their own greedy ends.
I have no proof of this, and I kind of know that others don't either,
so I am requesting a WONDERING about a FEELING rather than actual hard evidence.
I will show my bona fides by posting a dollar sign because we all understand
it is a symbol of evil and backs up my bogus bullshit idea."
OK, fair enough for your reading of my intro...

But now please go to the link (Washington Post) and then give your reaction to the article
... use of statistics, methodology, interpretation, etc.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #127
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Most people do not lead healthy lives, they don't exercise and their diet is horrible, and a lot of those people suffer from depression as a result. Yes, the pharmaceutical industry found a cash cow.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #128
infinite monkey

Yeah, like "fibromyalgia."

Careful what you poo-poo.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #129
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
But now please go to the link (Washington Post) and then give your reaction to the article
... use of statistics, methodology, interpretation, etc.
All information given in the story strongly asserts that your proposition is wrong, that mental illness is in fact an actual problem, not something pfizer's board room calculated up, and that it is actually undertreated.

Sorry.

But you know, it's just a *feeling* you have, so actual evidence has nothing to do with it! Screw the evidence, full steam ahead with your shitty narrative!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #130
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Every person I have known who has admitted to taking anti-depressants has been incapacitated by their condition before seeking help. Their illness has dicked around with their life - unable to work, or caused a relationship breakdown, or self-medicating to the point of a hospital visit.

Oh, I lie. A bulimic friend was prescribed Prozac back in the 90s.
It just made her hyper, so she came off it.

Ideally I would like to receive CBT therapy.
It's supposed to be the very best long term solution for many depressives.
But it is time and labour intensive and only available in a very few places (on the NHS I mean - I couldn't afford it privately).

I've had some other counselling but it just seemed rubbish to me. Sit and have a chat.
I quite liked alcohol counselling, I admit. I would sit and flagellate myself and the counsellor would tell me I had no reason to hate myself so much and instead I was a wonderful person. I used to walk out of there with a spring in my step. It wasn't effective long term re becoming teetotal. But it really helped for a while.

Perhaps I'm not depressed, I'm just narcissistic. Is there a pill for that?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #131
infinite monkey

I've found, over the years, that it's been immensely helpful in my struggle to be able to stand myself to make sure I blame myself hard and blame myself often. Also, I seek the counsel and input of those who are more than happy to also blame me hard and blame me often.

Nothing has helped me on the road to mental health more than they have. I thank them. Think of all the people who can be too ashamed to seek treatment because it means they're weak and lazy and piggish...leaving more meds available for me.

Luckily, I'm stronger than THOSE weak and lazy and piggish depressed and anxiety-disordered folks, who are too easily influenced by the really good and strong people on earth.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #132
Lamplighter

UT, thanks for your perspective.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #133
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sorry if I got angry, you pressed several of my hot buttons at the same time.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #134
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

On a positive note. THIS post still resonates with me.

Quote:
I remember the moment I realized I had clinical depression. I was driving down the street and I felt this heavy weight on my body. I didn't feel sad so much as I felt that nothing mattered. I could drive down the road or I could drive off the embankment and it didn't matter which choice I made.

I remember the moment I realized the drug was bringing me out of it. I was looking up at the sky and admiring the awesome gradient of blue it created. Every day a gradient with billions of colors no Photoshop will ever be able to reproduce. And I realized: I'm seeing colors again. I'm hearing birds again. I wasn't hearing them before.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #135
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Most people do not lead healthy lives, they don't exercise and their diet is horrible, and a lot of those people suffer from depression as a result. Yes, the pharmaceutical industry found a cash cow.
To add to that there is this aspect of our culture and society which is at its core, sick and morally bankrupt yet telling us it is healthy and righteous. There are psychopaths running the country and big corporations, there is an incessant flow of misinformation and outright lies from people in authority and people who have asked for our trust. When you repeatedly are subject to someone "pissing on your shoes and telling you it's raining" learned helplessness is created in the pissed upon. No matter what I do, I cannot effect a change.

THAT is some depressing shit right there. We live in a culture that strips us of power while telling us we will become empowered when we buy whatever crap is being sold.