The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Tea Tree Oil and other wonders

I wanted to share my great experience with Tea Tree Oil.
Here's the thing...I had a toe nail fungus. Ick. It was on my left big toe, started in the corner, got all yellow and wierd. I clipped it with a dropped landscaping rock a year earlier, lost part of the nail and it never quite made it back. The nail regrew, but funky.

So I investigated. It was a nail fungus. Treatment? Yow! course pills, months and months, possible threat of liver damage?! Holy crap. Then a friend suggested putting some 100% Tea Tree Oil on it with a Qtip once or twice a day. Bought a small bottle at a healthfood store. I saw improvement within a couple weeks, completely cured nail within a couple months. A great find.

It had me thinking of a guy I used to work with at a restaurant that had wrecked hand nails from dish chemicals, I know hair salon workers also are at risk for this kinda thing...

So If you have some nail or other foot funk, try the tea tree.

Anyone else have some "alternative" sorts of health treatments that worked well for you?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
glatt

I understand that automotive antifreeze will do the same thing for toenail fungus. Tea tree oil sounds nicer though.

Doctors use liquid nitrogen to freeze and remove warts. A can of that compressed air used for cleaning electronics, turned upside down, will work just as well. Damn that's cold stuff.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

Yikes! poor feet!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Despite knowing that homeopathy requires that a solution be diluted to the point that no molecules remain of the substance of medicinely goodness, I have a homepathic remedy for 'rrhoids that I swear keeps me off the blow-up donut, and has been effective in doing so for many years.

I am also a fan of the echinacea and goldenseal during cold and flu season, particularly this past year when despite our being direct care healthcare workers and on the list of people to be first in line for shots per the CDC, the county board of health refused to release flu vaccine to my hospital. I did not take any sick days off this year.

I prefer willow bark to aspirin, and aspirin to motrin. I will not take Tylenol at all.

I have some aromatherapy goodies for stress relief as well. And no, those aromas do not include cannabinoids.

I have many pleasant rocks that help me feel better too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I use live acidophilus cultures to cure several things, as my family seems particularly susceptible to fungal infections (unlike me, who has never had one in her life but gets bacterial illnesses all the damn time.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

So, just eatting good yogurt regularly?

For the cold coming on, powering in lots of vitamin C seems to work for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Clodfobble

No, they don't like yogurt so much. You can buy more concentrated versions at the grocery store. One version is called "Lactinex," and they keep it in the refrigerator behind the pharmacy counter even though you don't need a prescription for it. Or there are tablets, chewable for kids or swallowable for adults.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

Can you share more detail about what symptoms or condition this was used to cure?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Doctors use liquid nitrogen to freeze and remove warts. A can of that compressed air used for cleaning electronics, turned upside down, will work just as well. Damn that's cold stuff.
You can get a little nitro can off the shelf now with a metered dose. Worked like a charm on a mean ole wart I couldn't get off my wrist with chemicals. Of course you pay dearly so you could try that cleaning can at work. um be careful.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #10
Clodfobble

Sure. It's good for canker sores, athlete's foot, indigestion... My toddler stepson has a host of skin problems and very frequently has fungal skin infections (like ringworm, thrush, jock itch, and others.)

Basically fungus and bacteria are enemies. If you have a fungal problem of any kind, increasing the "good" bacteria in your body will help fight it. I've found Lactinex to be the most effective for both my husband and my stepson (mixed in orange juice for the toddler, because it's a really foul-tasting powder.) It clears up canker sores within a day, and large outbreaks of ringworm in three or four, whereas the anti-fungal creams like Tinactin would take weeks and weeks.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
busterb
NSABFD

Vinegar works well for some things.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I took those liver-harming lamisil pills because I had a problem with nail fungus. I must say that it is the best stuff ever! It cleared up ever single rash/ailment in my body and the nail fungus and any other fungus has never returned to my body.

As for natural remedies - I've heard plain yogurt is good for yeast infections. Never tried it.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
Clodfobble

Yeast infections are a fungus. The yogurt will only work if it is not pasteurized (kills the bacteria), which a lot of yogurt is.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

Nonfat Stonyfield yogurt is the best! I eat it cause its calcium, fruity and yummy. The berry flavors and they have a flavor called strawberry cheesecake which is like the best dessert.
Label says it has 6 live, active cultures including L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei, and L. Reuteri , whatever they all are. 130 calories, It also doesnt have that icky fakey sweet aspertame which always leaves me with a strange taste.

I never thought of canker sores! My mom has been suffering alot from these during the last few years. I'll mention this to her.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Nonfat Stonyfield yogurt is the best!
Two words ... Chocolate Underground

(if you can't find it you can do a do-it yourself with a bonus version by adding a bit of cocoa powder and some chocolate chips.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote