The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Brett's Honey
whatever

Please help me........

We've been havng some computer problems lately. Everything seems to be ok right now except for the way the monitor display looks. About 3/4 of the screen stays white. When you change the wallpaper, only the left side, about 1/4 of the screen, shows the picture. When you right click on the white part, nothing comes up. To right click and get to display properties, screen saver, etc., you have to right click on the left 1/4 part of the screen that is showing the picture. I've gone through the troubleshooting stuff - no fix yet.
Any ideas..........

Thanks!!
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

When you start an application, does it show up only on the left or can you do stuff on the right hand of the screen then?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

dar512,
you
can't
expect
her
to
respond
to
that,
can
you?

She
just
said
only
the
left
1/4
of
the
screen
is
functional.

sheesh.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What happens if you plug in a different monitor?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #5
marichiko

Most monitors have little buttons on the front or back that you can click and dink around on to change your screen size and shape, etc. Look for the little buttons and start pressing them!
Old 11-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
QUOTE=dar512]When you start an application, does it show up only on the left or can you do stuff on the right hand of the screen then?
Actually, when I open Word, Excel, any website, My Pictures, etc., the whole screen is functional. Everything looks and works fine. It's just when everything is closed or minimized, whatever wallpaper I use only shows up of the left side, and it's only there that a right mouse click works.
After screwing around with things, I went into Display Properties, Settings, and changed the screen resolution. When it is slid to the left for less, about 3/4 of the screen is white. When I slide it farther and farther to the right, less of the screen is white. More of the screen becomes the wallpaper like it should be, and a right mouse click works. But with it slid all the way to the right, there is still a small part of the screen that stays white.

???!!!
Thanks for the input.......
Old 11-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Most monitors have little buttons on the front or back that you can click and dink around on to change your screen size and shape, etc. Look for the little buttons and start pressing them!
We haven't had this monitor very long...I'll try this.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:28 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

You want isolate the problem. List of culpruits include monitor, video controller, and Windows or driver. This is what a diagnostic does. Better computer manufacturers provide these diagnostics on the machine, on accompanying media, and/or on their web site. Diagnostic eliminates Windows complications from the analysis AND will test the hardware in numerous modes - providing information that cannot be obtained while running Windows..

Meanwhile, other information is important. For example, when the system starts, first video mode is Mode 3 or 7. What happens during the initial messages from BIOS (BIOS is the first program executed by the PC to load all other software. It announces itself and executes simple functions such as a memory detection test)?

Other ways of providing assistants with useful information is to boot the system with a DOS system diskette or other programs that don't load or use Windows.

If computer did not provide diagnostics (a program that executes without Windows), then diagnostics are obtained from the video controller manufacturer's web site. First identify the video controller - which is often announced when the BIOS first executes. Manufacturer names include NVIDIA and Chip and Technologies. Different display modes are demonstrated in a discussion at display adapter .

In simple terms, the video system is a computer (the video controller) and a peripheral of that computer (video monitor). The monitor typically displays what the video controller provides or displays nothing intelligable. Video monitor operates similar to how your TV reacts to the local video controller - the television broadcast station. For better answers, information for that above tests will 'help your help'.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:12 AM   #9
Brett's Honey
whatever

Thank you all for your attempts to help my strange problem.
And......it's fixed. I don't have a clue what the hell one of us did, but after much screwing around, it's ok. I eventually got the white square down to one very small square up at the very top of my screen. After some web surfing, I went back to the wallpaper and instead of a white square being there, it was a little box that looked like a web page that was sized down to a one inch square. I clicked and dragged and made it wider and longer and it was the MSN homepage. It stayed behind the icons, and clicking on the icons still opened the programs as usual, clicking on different stories on the MSN page opened them too, I just couldn't get it to close. There wasn't a "X" at the top right to click on, and when I pressed Ctl-Alt-Del, it showed no programs open or running. After a whole lot more screwing around, the "X" finally appeared and I closed it. ??????????????????
Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Some sort of Active Desktop issue?

Though what it really sounds like is some sort of adware or spyware.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote