The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Built To Spill

This is probably one of my favorite indie bands and it seems to have an older audience so I was wondering if any of you listened to them?

My favorite song "Carry The Zero" (no video, just song):
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I know I've heard his voice before but I don't recognize the earlier bands... Nice sound anyway, thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Aaaah! Aaaah! MY BAND!!!! Piercing- you are now a friend. My husband wrote them on myspace and told them to come play where we were for my wedding present.....they never wrote back. But they did come. Best present ever. Doug said Hi back to me and I clammed up. Couldn't speak.....

It was a very small show at a small venue that time. It was perfect (from now on). I hope you got that.

Thank you for bringing them up. Long overdue. Everyone will probably remember them by the lyrics- singing sores make perfect swords. Maybe not. I don't know.*Popular song at one time.*
Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Haha, that would be really cool to have them play at a wedding. I'm really glad that worked out for you. My friends saw them this summer but I had to come back to Wisconsin for work, disappointing.

My band plays a cover of that song as well and it is probably our favorite to play.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Cicero

Now I wouldn't say they came to my wedding....they came to a small club where we lived.....probably because of my husband's request and maybe many others. They were going through there and not stopping anyway....Why not stop and play...right? Of course I did travel all over the state for their shows. But my husband decided that maybe during that tour they could come to us. Awesome.
I'm sure playing at a wedding would come with a very large price tag that I, nor my husband, could afford. They aren't obscure and fanless anymore. They are making a lot more money because of the new record and lable.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Aaaah! Aaaah! MY BAND!!!! Piercing- you are now a friend.
Isn't it interesting that we reevaluate people when they ratify our own tastes in music?

There are other things like that.....

maybe I won't hijack this thread. I'll go make a new one and link it in a minute.

Last edited by lumberjim; 08-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Isn't it interesting that we reevaluate people when they ratify our own tastes in music?

There are other things like that.....

maybe I won't hijack this thread. I'll go make a new one and link it in a minute.
Someone I know thought Built to Spill was a hippy jam band. I made her go see a show. I still don't like her. She loves the band now- I still can't stand her. She likes a lot of bands I like. But I think she is still an incredibly ridiculous person that follows everything just to be trendy and has no genuine affection for the music she listens to. You are right. I did re-evaluate her based on finding out we liked some of the same music. It's too bad she's still a complete moron without substance. She goes to shows because "everyone" goes to those shows. Makes me more digusted than if we had opposing tastes but she still had genuine interests in her life. That would be alright. Now I just have to think- well at least she contributes enough to buy the cd's. Even if she doesn't get it or have a clue. What is this terrible person doing listening to some of the music I like? I dunno. It can go different ways here I think LJ.

I'm glad you brought that up though. It's become a bit of a paradox.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
minnmirman
noob

I think built to spill is pretty 'hip' or even (dare i say) 'hot to trot?' To me they sound like they took a pretty hefty inspiration from modest mouse, and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend one to anyone who likes the other.

My favs are strange and The Plan
minnmirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I've heard the Modest Mouse comparison many times before but I don't see it. Was Modest Mouse different before "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" because that is the only album I've listened to from them and I don't think they sound anything alike. Modest Mouse, on Good News, has the poppy sound driven by vocals and the beat while Built to Spill is more guitar driven sound.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
minnmirman
noob

Yeah Modest Mouse's sound has definitely evolved over time, and no certain album is a good indicator of what they sound like. I like to think of Built to Spill as more like early Modest Mouse, maybe Lonesome Crowded West or The Moon & Antarctica. The similarities I see have a bit to do with the tunes, but maybe more with the vocal style of the singers
Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
Cicero

Those are actually my 2 favorite bands (right now and have been for a long time). I don't think they sound alike. I think they are equally great for different reasons. They might be in the same genre but I think that's where the comparison really ends.

Well- I'm too biased here to give a go at comparisons. And I will openly admit it.

Fine: I like a dirty guitar sound backed up with penetrating voices spouting disjuncted classical philosophy and abstractions. And when it all then breaks into an unexpected ethereal interlude....well that just sends me.There I said it. I am easy to please....and if this sounds like any other bands that you know.....tell me.....I will listen.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
minnmirman
noob

How do you feel about Ugly Casanova?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
EatitHarvey
Kinda New Member

I absolutely love seeing Built To Spill live. Line up those guitars across the front and wail!
EatitHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Cicero

Yea...I like Ugly Cassanova as well-though short-lived. I really am getting worn out (for the time being only) on all the previous bands mentioned and need a new band.
They don't just fall off or grow on trees...I'm incredibly picky.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, EatitHarvey.