The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

Doesn't seem to matter what the topic of a thread is.

i stepped in a mud puddle and fell down last night. no witnesses. looked like dirt, but it was just an illusory crust on top. and as it was at the bottom of a little hill, and i had a fair amount of momentum built up, my foot sunk in to the top of my new shoes, and i fell to my knees...splat! ever find yourslf laughing out loud at 1 in the morning in the dark with no one else around? first time for me too. I only bring this up because my knee is a little sore as i type this.

how was your day?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #2
kerosene
Touring the facilities

My day has been better than expected. I managed to escape my weekly hell that is called "the staff meeting" in 1 1/2 hours rather than the usual horrid 3-4 hours. Yay!

And perth is going to make dinner tonight (right perth?)
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:49 PM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

Uh, yeah. How about stir-fry?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, my day so far is normal, last night was a nightmare. But it's 7:30 and I have an hour and a half to go, so the potential for today to turn to shit is still quite high.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'd have to say that today was worse than yesterday, even given the above soiling of my new shoes. My assistant was laid off today. I argued for 2 months to prevent it, was told they'd hold off on doing anything until after the 1st of the year, but this morning, they let her go. I liked her. I had 5 months invested in training her, and she was just turning the corner and contributing to the department. Now I have to start from scratch again, worry about what goes on on my day off, take all the phone calls when i'm off because the people that will be covering me are trying to find their ass with only one hand. fuck.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:17 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
My assistant was laid off today.
Always nice to lay someone off three weeks before Christmas.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

yeah, nice, huh? I feel like a putz for worrying about the effect it will have on me, but there's not really anything much I can do about her plight except talk to the various reps that come to see me for her and try to help place her somewhere, and give her a good reference on her resume.

I'm also gonna start shopping around for myself. Been here almost 6 years; like the people, like the product, but damn! Where's the love?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:36 PM   #8
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Well LJ my day was busy and productive . I have a relativly new boss , he and I and another thech that i have worked with for 14+ years put in a new design truck scale to day . It was a nice and cool day ( sweat shirt weather ) and it didn't rain on us at all . My new boss worked his ass off as we all did . We laughed and joked and trashed the sales guys , and as i said worked our ass's off , but we got done . Over all it was a Verry good day !!!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My training ended at 2:30 today, so I went to downtown Austin and played tourist. The Texas state capitol building is quite impressive, despite the numerous pictures of Dubya scattered about its premises.

Downtown Austin is rife with panhandling homeless, raving lunatics, drug addicts and other unfortunates. I feel for them, but it really kind of takes the nice edge off of a pleasant stroll when you are being accosted for spare change or given the loony look by some guy who is either spewing God's word or has just finished calling a Texas Ranger a motherfucker.

Lots of amazing places to eat here, many kitschy stores and whatnot. I think it would be a fun place to spend more than an afternoon, but since I didn't think I was even gonna get that much out this trip, I'm grateful for the day I had. My sole major disappointment is that the bats have gone south for the winter, so my trip to the Congress Avenue bridge at sunset was fruitless. Pics in the Images section...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:01 AM   #10
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From Jim:
ever find yourslf laughing out loud at 1 in the morning in the dark with no one else around?
      Um, I have... it's not been that rare in my life either. Perhaps 'cause I've liked the occasional walk after midnight to sort my thoughts on my life? Lot's o' reasons to laugh mixed in there... Um ... Point is, this is rare? I love late night walks...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:23 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
      Um, I have... it's not been that rare in my life either. Perhaps 'cause I've liked the occasional walk after midnight to sort my thoughts on my life? Lot's o' reasons to laugh mixed in there... Um ... Point is, this is rare? I love late night walks...
do you sing "walkin after midnight" by Patsy Kline?

I take a walk almost every night right around midnight.....i just usually don't laugh out loud....sometimes i'll chuckle to myslef if i think of something funny, but for some reason it seems strange to me to talk or sing or laugh when you know you are completely alone.

I remember going camping on the Loyalsock River in eaglesmere, and at one point, my 2 friends hiked back to the truck and rode to town for beer or food or sumpin. They were gone for about 2 hours(we were pretty far out) So, I'm standing there on the river looking up and down and all around, and there's no one. NO ONE.

I thought, boy...I could scream or sing at the top of my lungs, and no one but maybe a bear is anywhere around to hear me. But I couldn't do it. I felt pretty small surrounded by the vastness of the landscape, and it just felt wrong to disturb the silence.

( I might have been tripping and the sensation COULD have been a little bit exaggerated. I don;t remember for sure, but I think that was why we usually went camping in the first place)
Old 12-03-2003, 12:42 AM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I do not sing that or any other Patsy Kliene song. I've heard it but I certainly don't know it well enough to sing.

As far as the quiet goes, that's half the reason I go out. I love that quiet. I don't talk to myself or sing, but if a thought strikes me as funny, I laugh.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:04 AM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
      I do not sing that or any other Patsy Kliene song. I've heard it but I certainly don't know it well enough to sing.

here. i'll sing a little for you:

~~I go out walkin....after midnight...out in the moonlight
just like we used to do...i go a-walkin... after midnight ....searchin for yoo-oo-oo.....(repeat)~~~

~~i stop to see a weepin willow, cah-rying on it's pillow....maybe e's a-cryin o'er me-ee-ee~~~
and as the sky turns gloomy...night winds whisper to me...i'm lonesome as i can bee-ee-ee~~

just like we used to do...i go a-walkin... after midnight ....searchin for yoo-oo-oo.....(repeat)~~~

ok!, every body! with feeling!

~~i stop to see a weepin willow, cah-rying on it's pillow....maybe e's a-cryin o'er me-ee-ee~~~
and as the sky turns gloomy...night winds whisper to me...i'm lonesome as i can bee-ee-ee~~

good job, everyone! give your self a hand!

yay!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:45 AM   #14
Riddil
Management Consultant

Oh, it totally matters what the thread title happens to be.

Not b/c it will have any sort of bearing on what direction the flow of conversation with follow... but it will determine how many click-thru's your thread gets.

I'm willing to bet that most people don't check every thread. So if you pick a topic title that draws a lot more attention, you'll get more views, and more replies.

So! In summation a thread topic should be chosen for "shock value", since there's no way that it will ever stay on-topic anyhow.
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:15 AM   #15
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

So what are you suggesting? "Paris Hilton s3x video here"??
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote