The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-11-2007, 12:08 AM   #571
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Well I for one am a woman who likes candy, flowers AND sex. Preferably all at the same time even.
I hope you have a boyfriend who doesn't get confused easily. Otherwise you might end up with a bunch of flowers in your mouth, chocolates in the funpark and you wouldn't want to find the vase.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #572
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes, those parking for mothers spots annoyed me.
Making it easier for them to drag their evil spawn into the grocery store to scream, run around knocking things off the shelves, push extra carts into people and block aisles. No, make 'em park far, far away so they'll leave the fuckers home. Or chain 'em to a light standard in the parking lot.

Fortunately they didn't last long.
I support the ones for expectant mothers, we have them on our local Army post. The problem remains that if you are 8 weeks prego you can probably still make it to the door without any problems. But when you are 8 or 9 months things are more difficult.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #573
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary
But when you are 8 or 9 months things are more difficult.
Unless they're getting in one of the motorized carts as soon as they get to the door, it's not difficult enough to warrant a special parking space.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #574
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Titanium is much stronger than Aluminum so theoretically they can make things thinner than aluminum with the same strength and weight. Plus it doesn't corrode and has better bragging rights.
And it has the word "tit" in it. :p
Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #575
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Unless they're getting in one of the motorized carts as soon as they get to the door, it's not difficult enough to warrant a special parking space.
But places like Babies R' Us find that it's a good marketing gimmick.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #576
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
I hope you have a boyfriend who doesn't get confused easily. Otherwise you might end up with a bunch of flowers in your mouth, chocolates in the funpark and you wouldn't want to find the vase.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #577
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
My wife has a HC parking sticker. She can walk in most days, I just hurts like hell. Hence, if she can be closer to the door better for her.
Same with my Grandad - my Dad has a badge that he uses when Grandad is in the car (and ONLY then). Grandad can walk, but not unaided. He has trouble getting in and out of the car, necessitating the extra space on either side provided by disabled spaces. He uses his walker to get to the store, and the shorter the walk outside, the better. Once in the store his shopping trolley provides the stability he needs.

I doubt anyone seeing him would begrudge him any decrease in his journey - he only goes to the store once a week to maintain a measure of independence and it is hard work for him.

I've said this before this before (here). I believe that it is reasonable to provide the shortest distance car-store-car for people who have difficulty or pain walking. I believe that decreasing the amount of overall walking these people have to do is one of the reasons for having the spaces in the first place.

Of course another is to allow people in chairs enough space to manoeuvre and there should be enough slots and of sufficient size for this too.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #578
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
And it has the word "tit" in it. :p
Titanium is derived from the latin root words "tit" and "anium," the plural of anus. It was used by the ancient Romans for making bikinis.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #579
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
Titanium is derived from the latin root words "tit" and "anium," the plural of anus. It was used by the ancient Romans for making bikinis.
Are you sure it doesn't translate as "metal butt plug"?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #580
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Are you sure it doesn't translate as "metal butt plug"?
That's the Greek translation.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #581
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Same with my Grandad - my Dad has a badge that he uses when Grandad is in the car (and ONLY then). Grandad can walk, but not unaided. He has trouble getting in and out of the car, necessitating the extra space on either side provided by disabled spaces. He uses his walker to get to the store, and the shorter the walk outside, the better. Once in the store his shopping trolley provides the stability he needs.

I doubt anyone seeing him would begrudge him any decrease in his journey - he only goes to the store once a week to maintain a measure of independence and it is hard work for him.

I've said this before this before (here). I believe that it is reasonable to provide the shortest distance car-store-car for people who have difficulty or pain walking. I believe that decreasing the amount of overall walking these people have to do is one of the reasons for having the spaces in the first place.

Of course another is to allow people in chairs enough space to manoeuvre and there should be enough slots and of sufficient size for this too.
Right, he does not walk the whole store.
Again, if you are going to walk the whole store you can walk the extra 5 spaces to the car.
I also feel those with chairs and lifts should have specific designations and no one else should park in those places.
If that were done, I could care less who parks in the other places.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #582
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I also feel those with chairs and lifts should have specific designations and no one else should park in those places.
If that were done, I could care less who parks in the other places.
Amen
Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #583
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
If you can walk the store you have no business having a disabled parking permit.
My dad can walk the five extra spaces.....and he can just about walk through the store. But, he has to rest after just a couple of minutes walk. He takes about an hour to do a relatively small amount of shopping because of the need for frequent rests. Frankly, I want him parked right outside the store. It's not immediately obvious what the nature of someone's disability is. Some days Dad is more able than other days; some days he starts out okay but gets halfway through a task and becomes so short of breath it's terrifying. I have no doubt there are times that people see him get out of his van and head into the store and think hey....he seems fine. What they don't see is him propped up against a shelf 'resting' and trying to catch his breath again a few moments later.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #584
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
I don't have a b/f. Only a husband. He seems to know what goes where.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #585
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wink

This is from the Cellar's Sig-Line collection:

"Corporal punishment, of course. Appoint a squadron of grandmothers and retired principals to act as Official Spankers of the State and you'll have felons reforming left and right."

Not necessarily an opinion I hold, but surely it's unpopular with somebody.