The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-17-2001, 01:35 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/17: Busted-up Afghan van

It would be a cartoon event: this guy's van was hit by a mortar, which tore it up quite a bit. But it didn't hit any of the drivetrain. So he keeps on driving it, and hey! Why not! He's happy, he's stylin', thumbs up.

The original caption said it was a mini-van, but I can't figure out what make it is, and it's gotta have a rear engine...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 01:37 PM   #2
dave

I saw this - was it from MSNBC? I forget. Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny too - said he was off taking a bathroom break or something. Lucky guy and he looks happy enough
Old 12-17-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
alleycat
Alphabetarian

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I saw this - was it from MSNBC? I forget. Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny too - said he was off taking a bathroom break or something. Lucky guy and he looks happy enough
bathroom break? och... i'd be lookin' pretty happy too.

somehow, it's sort of a charming picture.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 02:09 PM   #4
dave

Yep. That's why I was thinking of posting it on Friday. Then the shaved Kangaroo just got to me, and I desisted.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:34 PM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm having trouble beliving that van was hit by a mortar. The headliner isn't burned...in fact *none* of it shows any signs I see of scorching. It just doesn't *look* like there's been an explosion, it looks more like it was run into the archetypical immovable object at an oblique angle and at about the height of the windowsill....or had an similarly situated but moving object run into it. Like maybe part of a big truck, or a tank or BTU perhaps? Look how the roof is crumpled; that was pushed back, not blown away.

I suppose it's *possible* that they just cleaned it up really nice and replaced the carpet and driver's side door. But somthing is telling me this guy knew he'd get more money for thepicture if he had a good war story to go with the van... "I was taking a leak and a mortar shell hit it, yeah, that sounds good".

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 04:04 PM   #6
ndetroit
Master Locutor

I suppose tho that if it rained, it would wash away all the muck and dust and ash that the seats and whatnot would be covered in from an explosion.

hmmm... unless ... it doesn't rain.... in that desert... never mind.
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 04:08 PM   #7
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I've got to agree with MaggieL here. I mean look at the body damage behind the driver door. How would an explosion damage that if it didn't destroy the axle? If I was to guess without any other info I'd say something hit highfront driver side. I realise the angle is limited but how could a mortar possibly do such limited damge across such a wide area? There's even glass farther back above the area the body is buckled. I suppose it's possible but I'm not buying it without a source I trust.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:12 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

Maybe it was hit by something hit by a mortar...
Oh well, lets just give him "war torn van". wait...hold it...is that OBL in the back?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 04:22 PM   #9
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Maybe it was hit by something hit by a mortar...
Oh well, lets just give him "war torn van". wait...hold it...is that OBL in the back?
No, it's Bert. :-)

Besides, "war torn van" is something I'd expect to see on the menu of a German-Chinese restauraunt. You, know, "Half an hour later you're hungry for power"?

Old 12-17-2001, 04:25 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Besides, "war torn van" is something I'd expect to see on the menu of a German-Chinese
restauraunt. You, know, "Half an hour later you're hungry for power"?
Excellent! I give you rim shot!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 04:38 PM   #11
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by warch

Excellent! I give you rim shot!
Uh, ladies... that's pretty gro... oh. Rim shot.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:06 PM   #12
alleycat
Alphabetarian

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm having trouble beliving that van was hit by a mortar. The headliner isn't burned...in fact *none* of it shows any signs I see of scorching. It just doesn't *look* like there's been an explosion, it looks more like it was run into the archetypical immovable object at an oblique angle and at about the height of the windowsill....or had an similarly situated but moving object run into it. Like maybe part of a big truck, or a tank or BTU perhaps? Look how the roof is crumpled; that was pushed back, not blown away.
all good points.

but then again, some shells are duds. (many? anybody know?)

not so much to argue the point, but looking at the damage, i could imagine it being a dud coming in at a fairly shallow angle from driver's side top front and out lower/middle back of the passenger side door.

otherwise, assuming an impact with some stationary object, it's kind of difficult to explain other stuff, including but not limited to:

- why there wouldn't be a major "driver stain" on the driver's seat
- why the passenger side window post is still standing, but everything between it and the driver's side is gone
- why, if that's the case, is the steering wheel and driver's seat undamaged

one finds oneself idly constructing an arbitrarily complex fixed object for it to have hit that explains it all.

but i don't really care... just thought i'd toss out some possibilities, for fun, like. i like the photo anyway.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 05:10 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Or it could just be my bad memory. The AP caption says he was hit by "an airstrike" which tells us... nothing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 05:53 PM   #14
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

Uh, ladies... that's pretty gro... oh. Rim shot.
Aww...Dham actually sounds disappointed.

Tell you what, Dham, if she and I get involved, maybe we'll let you...uh...warch.

hee hee hee hee hee

"When Mom and Dad asked little Jimmy what he wanted for Christmas, he said 'I wanna watch'....so they let him."

Old 12-18-2001, 12:11 PM   #15
Joe
Master of the Domain

I'm for the collision theory

It appears as if the major structures of the van have been pushed back and then down, which would follow from a windshield-level hit.

Civilian passenger vehicle hulls are made out of some very thin-gage metal, good for both fuel economy and crash safety as it crumples well. A hit by a military shell would probably have blown this van back into it's component parts.

There are no flash burns visible (could have been cleaned off, but should have left some permanent marks).

There isn't a single shrapnel puncture visible anywhere on the van. The thin metal skin should at least show some holes from the high-explosive disintegration of the bomb housing.

The floor of the van, and the drivetrain beneath, all seem very much intact, which would follow a collision high on the vehicle, and not a bomb.

I think this guy ran into something and that was all. Some western journalists come by and he makes up this story to see if we'll buy it.

That's my amateur view anyway.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote