The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Global Warming 5 17.24%
Peak Oil 5 17.24%
Police State 12 41.38%
Terrorism 0 0%
Traditional Values Collapse 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Which is your favorite paranoid fantasy?

I have a fondness for the growing police state. The others I don't buy.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

While I was watching the X-Files somebody put a chip in my neck and now they know everything my neck does.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
marichiko

I'd have voted for global warming, but its not a paranoid fantasy -its REAL! Good luck all you folks under thirty!

I hope a police state is a paranoid fantasy. One wonders sometimes.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I'll accept that global warming is occuring on some sort of scale, although I'm still doubtful that it's effects are as harmfull as have been advertised
Old 06-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

They're worse than advertized by some, and not as bad as advertized by others. But they're bad enough.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Which is your favorite paranoid fantasy?
The first three, Global Warming, Peak Oil, and Police State will only get as bad as necessary before we decided to address them. Terrorism is mostly hype. Traditional Values Collapse is a complete and utter myth - made obvious once numbers are provided.

Previous threats such as ozone layer destruction and acid rain were eventually made redundant once we addressed them. The hard part was acknowledging a problem. Once those problems were acknowledged, then a solution was (and is still ongoing) easy.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
marichiko

Well, its nice to hear that you think God is in his universe and all's right with the world on the ozone layer, tw. Here's the latest data from NOAA

It shows that ozone depletion is indeed down from last year but still well above the average from previous years. One year does not a trend make, especially in the area of climatic change.

The other problem is that global warming is causing by CO2 emissions as much as anything and those are STILL on the increase.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
While I was watching the X-Files somebody put a chip in my neck and now they know everything my neck does.

Hahahaha.......v.funny Bri
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Actually? I had a dream where gas was 5.76/gallon. In my dream I was in NOLA and people were subletting their apts to pay for gas..but, also in this dream people were splitting their tongues in forks like a devil or snake just for fun, so, whattya gonna do?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Brianna, getting tongue splits was fashionable a year or two ago for about six months.

Griff, I'm not sure I could pick between my top two: terrorism originates from police states, or in trying to attain them.

And anybody who wants a greenhouse gas, try water vapor. Abundant atmospheric water vapor is by itself the reason our Earth isn't an iceball.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 06-08-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Abundant atmospheric water vapor is by itself the reason our Earth isn't an iceball.
HEHEHEH!

You ever see what happens when water molecules undego a phase change from gas to solid? It ain't pretty, I'm telling you, now. Don't ever visit Pluto in January, Big Guy.

Water vapor isn't gonna save us. The liquid phase might drown us, though.:p
Old 06-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Oh shit.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Well, its nice to hear that you think God is in his universe and all's right with the world on the ozone layer, tw. Here's the latest data from NOAA

It shows that ozone depletion is indeed down from last year but still well above the average from previous years.
Ozone depletion will exist for many decades or longer. Therefore the problem is solved - because we also consider other facts. Symptoms of that problem will probably take decades to be reversed. But the problem itself has been solved. The world's greatest people - the little people - have been empowered to eliminate reasons for ozone depletion. Ozone layer itself - a symptom - will probably take many decades - maybe many generations - to recover.

But the problem has finally been addressed because political types who were lying - perverting science - were finally silenced. Reasons for ozone depletion and acid rain have been solved or minimized. Symptoms remain. Further actions may be required in the future. Reasons for those symptoms have been addressed (even though George Jr tried to eliminate solutions to acid rain about three years ago).

Meanwhile, lawyers are rewriting science to proclaim global warming does not exist. Demonstrates why problems that can be solved by logic and science are not. Lawyers and MBAs were silenced on acid rain and ozone depletion. The symptoms still remain. But the problem is solved - at least for now.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Are you now a neckrophiliac (you feel something in your neck)?

Last edited by tw; 06-10-2006 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'll take traditional values collapse for 100, Alex ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote