The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

4/9/2003: Iraqis protest

As the Iraqi war argument has gone on and on, there is one group of people that hasn't been polled by anyone: the Iraqis.

Today may go, in history, as the day Iraq was liberated - or, unlawfully invaded and toppled, depending on your point of view. But to give some perspective, today IS, by anyone's thinking, the first day that Iraqis themselves could say anything at all against the administration that has ruled them for decades. And they chose to ride the head of Saddam through the streets of Baghdad, hauling it with the chain that brought it down, and whapping it with sticks, shoes, poles, anything they could find.

And they chose to bring us this message.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I would normally shout out "Photoshop!" here due to the rather serious inconsistency between the obviously hand-scrawled portion and the nicely lettered (save for the large spacing gap) portion...but I refuse to believe that our benevolent dictator would stoop to such a low for this esteemed and reverentially observed forum.

So...where *did* you get this image, UT? And are they referring to all of us US types as wankers, or just the human shield portion of our population?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Are the Iraqis not happy with the US in general, or the human shields, who were going to stand in front of hospitals and neighborhoods, but were moved to power stations and the like?

Amusing Anecdote: So I'm telling cute Australian girl how to set her proxy settings, and I'm ready to give her the service request number:"Okay, the SR number is 349 W as in Whiskey, Y as in Wanky..." We both ROTFLMAO'ed for about 3 minutes straight. I meant to say Y as in Yankee.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Where it came from: oh! sorry! I should have attributed it originally. Donald Sensing is screen-capturing them, apparently, and it's from his blog.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And he has another image to show it's not a PS. It looks like somebody tore the original sign in half, which maybe said "welcome" or something, and then they just added their bit.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #6
Pearcie (AUS)
Superior Inhabitant

(First time poster - long time lurker)
My 1st reaction to this image was one of suprise. Then I realised that if I were in the Iraqis position I would harbor some pretty hostile feelings towards people who are putting themselves in the line of fire to try and prevent a war movement that will inevitably liberate me and my people. These "human shields" just decided that they didn't think war was the right answer but they offered no alternative, just chose to stick their noses in where they were not wanted. Some may call them noble, and honerable but I personally reckon they were just caught up in the anti-war protests and the 'righteousness' of it all. They thought "war is wrong - now i'm gonna do something about it" I don't think they really understood what the Iraqi people wanted, nor did they care.
Pearcie (AUS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #7
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

I'm thinking maybe this is the biggest piece of anything these clowns can find to write on and mightn't have had the necessaries to remove the original 'human shield' lettering.
ps UT who the hell put 'rapscallion 'in my profile?

Last edited by novice; 04-09-2003 at 11:33 PM.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:23 AM   #8
jaguar
whig

Well this is the thing, if the Iraqis truely want the US to invade (which we won't really know for months) then who are a bunch of middle class left wing bleedings hearts who oppose all war on principle to say it's not 'right'.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:25 AM   #9
dave

novice, your user title is changed throughout your first posts and will become more stable as your post number increases. You can manually edit it as well, by going to "user cp" at the top and then clicking on "profile".
Old 04-10-2003, 08:48 AM   #10
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by novice
I'm thinking maybe this is the biggest piece of anything these clowns can find to write on and mightn't have had the necessaries to remove the original 'human shield' lettering.
If this was the case, they would have written on the back.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:10 AM   #11
Unknown_Poltroon
Lead Subordinate

Quote:
Originally posted by dave

If this was the case, they would have written on the back.
On the back, it says "We love you Saddam", just in case we lost.
Unknown_Poltroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:18 AM   #12
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearcie (AUS)
Some may call them noble, and honorable.
The only reaction I heard was "There are some very stupid people in the world -- like these guys! What do they think they're doing!?"

Personally, I think that the sign doesn't look right, but Donald Sensing's other picture makes it convincing that it's not a fake.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:54 PM   #13
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Well this is the thing, if the Iraqis truely want the US to invade (which we won't really know for months) then who are a bunch of middle class left wing bleedings hearts who oppose all war on principle to say it's not 'right'.
Who decides what's right? Whose job is it to say what's right and wrong? Do we listen to the goverment of the country we're going to invade, to see if they're right? Do we listen to the population of the country we're going to invade to see if they're right? Do we just decide on our own that we're right and do whatever fits our version of right?

There is no right. Just because there is no right, however, doesn't mean that there are no wrongs. There are always wrongs. There is just no one right way.

You cannot please all the people all of the time.

One of the often over looked "rights" our country has is the persuit of happieness. If we extend this to other countries, then there really can be no right. For my version of happieness may oppose your version of happieness. I should still have my right to seek happieness, or do I no longer get the right because it interfers with your right?

There is no right. Only many wrongs. The best you can hope for is causing as few wrongs as possible in your persuit of happieness. Or, tailor your view of happieness so that it inflicts as little wrongs as possible without giving up too much of your happieness.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 AM   #14
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
There is no right. Just because there is no right, however, doesn't mean that there are no wrongs. There are always wrongs. There is just no one right way.

You cannot please all the people all of the time.
Dude, what the hell are you smoking? Are you saying that there is no good, only evil?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I suspect you're going for a cultural relativism angle. Even with this philosophy, there are still universal morals. For example, not torturing people is <i>always good</i>.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:23 AM   #15
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally posted by juju

Dude, what the hell are you smoking? Are you saying that there is no good, only evil?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I suspect you're going for a cultural relativism angle. Even with this philosophy, there are still universal morals. For example, not torturing people is <i>always good</i>.
This sounds like a prime topic for the new Philosophy section.
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote