The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

6/14/2005: Naked Madrid bike ride

Continuing in the Cellar interest in bicycling, and covering ?! the trend of naked protest. These folks are in Madrid, riding naked to protest the dependence on cars.

The organizers of World Naked Bike Ride 2005 said protests were expected in a number of countries, including Australia, Canada, the United States, Ireland, Italy, Latvia and Israel.

It had definitely spread to at least London, although all these shots are from Madrid. This gentleman does not appear to be using proper skating safety gear.

Of course, in any naked ride, some people will have a worse view than others.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Saknussem
Coronation Incarnate

I say . . . my Mum has a lot o' cheek putting me starkers in this bike seat!
Saknussem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Wormfood
Superior Inhabitant

Next time you're in Madrid, try not to touch any bike saddles
Wormfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

These naked cyclists really get around, don't they? It must be a club.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saknussem
I say . . . my Mum has a lot o' cheek putting me starkers in this bike seat!
What a trip.
Some of the press are naked also. Some are not.
Very open country to say the least.
I feel for the toddler, tho...... I don't think he really wants to be there. And secondly, if you look at him closely he has a very nasty rash on his face. Especially under his left eye and over his lips.
Must be downwind contamination of buttrash as a result of an unsanitary bike seat.
With a real vivid imagination, the naked guy behind the kid looks like he's got an autoweapon strapped over his shoulder instead of a vcam........He's stopped also. Guess he couldn't operate the bike, camera, & his weeny all at the same time. Not the gospel, no. Just capnhowdy's observation.
Maybe I should turn off the Pink Floyd.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

"Protesting dependence on cars". heh.

With the outcome of a successful protest being.....what? Getting to smell 2000 bungholes mouldering in the hot sun instead of diesel fumes? Big improvement.

I also find it amusing that they are all wearing helmets. If this is the best idea that comes out of those noggins, I believe I'd save the $20.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

They're all wearing shoes, too. Tell me again why that diminishes their point? They want you to PAY ATTENTION to their message, "ride a bike, don't drive a car" and to get that attention, they uncovered enough skin to get it. Do you interpret this "exception" to nakedness as hypocrisy and discard their views accordingly?

Does HM have all your sensors set to obliterate today?

Last edited by BigV; 06-14-2005 at 06:12 PM. Reason: grammar fix
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Some people are just starving for attention. Maybe they should be wearing condoms.........
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
They're all wearing shoes, too. Tell me again why that diminishes their point? They want you to PAY ATTENTION to their message, "ride a bike, don't drive a car" and to get that attention, they uncovered enough skin to get it. Do you interpret this "exception" to nakedness as hypocrisy and discard their views accordingly?

Nah, I'm always that way about environmentalists. I just usually filter it. The point of their message has nothing to do with cars, or you would see that many people on their bikes every day. Their message is, "look how edgy and politically active I am. Now that I've done this, I can live normally until the next left-wing cattle call." Five'll get you ten that at least half of em own SUVs.

Oh, but to answer your point, the joke was that their heads were their least valuable body parts, and if they were going to wear protective gear, they might have covered, say, their sweaty nasty balls.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Unlike most naked protests these folks look decent doing it. I don't really want to see the naked SUV driver protest. Even this nut from the lower right quadrant gets it. Our addiction to automobiles isn't doing us or the planet a great deal of good. I understand that the car is all about freedom and opportunity. I live in the boonies and cycling to work is work. However, bikes don't have nearly the social cost of cars. If we are going to subsidize gas to the tune of 1704 dead enlisted men, maybe widening the odd bike lane isn't that big a deal to make cycling available to folks it makes sense for.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV

Oh bullshit, they're out there because they can. They already knew it's fun to get naked outdoors and the more the merrier.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #12
LCanal
I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

[quote]riding naked to protest the dependence on cars.

I wonder where they put their clothes and how they all got to Madrid? The cynic in me always gets a buzz out of "cyclist" especially the smell the roses, ride in the wilderness types as they always use cars, nay SUV's to get to the wilderness. I would be more impressed if they all sold their cars and relied entirely on bikes. But what the ..... I guess as long as they feel happy. As my mother would have said " Think about all the people in the world who can't afford a bike let alone a car"
Yada, yada, yada...
Old 06-15-2005, 06:01 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

[quote=LCanal]
Quote:
I would be more impressed if they all sold their cars and relied entirely on bikes.
Of course to make that possible would require a shift in public policy so that cycling wouldn't be suicidal, hence the protest. We had some Spaniards here. I wonder if the car culture around Madrid is really that bad. I had a car swerve at me during my long ride home the other night, ought to start packing. Anyway their protest might be more toward not becoming a insular car culture like ares more than actually addressing local problems.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

pix from the WNBR 2005 in London:
http://there.is/photos/WNBR2005/
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
johningerslev
Antagonistic Antagonist

my parents sold their car and now ride everywhere on their bikes. it's a great condversation starter at swanky dinner parties when no-one believes they don't own a car.
johningerslev is offline   Reply With Quote