The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 01-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #16
Kitsune
still eats dirt

He says that creation isn't a theory because it's a belief. Well, evolution is believed by people, isn't it?

Not quite -- both evolution and creationism may be believed, but only one is a theory.

The only way you can prove anything is to experience it and no one alive has.

It is not the purpose of a theory to prove something, as no theory can be proven. Theories are simply there to provide a "working explanation" of what we notice in various phenomena and how they interact. Creationism doesn't do that.

In the Bible, a thousand years happens in an instant for God.

I rather like the theistic evolutionary ideas -- that the bible explains something in simplier terms/in terms relative to god. Its always been a bit friendlier to both sides of the issue.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #17
juju
no one of consequence

This whole gravity thing is bullshit. When are people going to realize it's just a "theory"??
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #18
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Teach evolution in Science classes, along with other competing theories based upon the scientific method (hypothesis, experimentation and theorization).

Teach creationism in Mythology classes, along with other competing belief systems based upon faith and religion.

No one can prove either. No one can DISPROVE either.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
This whole gravity thing is bullshit. When are people going to realize it's just a "theory"??
Gravity is a fact. Why and how it works is a theory. :p

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #20
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Gravity isn't a theory its a law. A self-enforcing law. You break it and it breaks you back.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #21
juju
no one of consequence

The demonstratable effects of gravity are facts, because they can be proven. There is a theory that explains these effects, which has yet to be disproven. That's what I was referring to.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #22
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
* NOTE:
When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:

1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.
2. Planets and stars formed from space dust.
3. Matter created life by itself.
4. Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.
5. Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals).
Hey! I've seen that list before! I think that it was in a Jack Chick Tract!
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #23
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Good catch. But it's possible both of them got it from a third source.

There were enough problems in the tract to choke a horse, but here are a few in Chick's list:

1) Using the term "evolution" in steps 1-4 is perhaps linguistically accurate, but it is a deliberate attempt to imply that the theories stand or fall together.

2) Steps 2 and 3 are out of order. Higher elements don't "evolve", they are produced by fusion in the heart of stars.

3) He may have just run out of board space, but step 4 is oversimplified. Rocks are a subset of the elements and complex chemicals which predate life.

It's amusing that Chick has the scientist produce the "6 concepts" list, when it is part of the creationist playbook.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:16 PM   #24
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

I don't know. There's the Bible and then there's Darwin. The Bible predates Darwin by thousands of years, so logically, the Bible would be the choice. But, Darwin is scientific and we, as scientific, reasoning species, want everything explained. Darwin explains evolution. But it's hard to grasp that we evolved from pond scum. I like to believe that we came from the Garden. It's a much more romantic and cleaner idea. Choices, choices!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:20 PM   #25
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Many don't take the Bible word for word, though. I see it as a book of faith, not a history book.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:46 PM   #26
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine
The Bible predates Darwin by thousands of years, so logically, the Bible would be the choice.
Why is something more believable because it is older?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:26 PM   #27
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine
I don't know. There's the Bible and then there's Darwin. The Bible predates Darwin by thousands of years, so logically, the Bible would be the choice.
That's not logic. That's nostalgia. A few hundred years ago, people thought rats spontaneously generated in garbage. We've learned a few things in the meantime.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #28
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Creationists always seem to be the sort that accept word for word literal truth in the Bible. That is a nasty combination.

My favorite idea of theirs is Adam and Eve romping around the Garden with all the animals - including dinosaurs- which had to have gone extinct because they died in the Great Flood.

It drives me nuts that creationists pick and choose the science facts and theories they decide to accept or reject.

One creationist that takes this 'believe only the science in the Bible' to its logical conclusion is at : http://www.fixedearth.com/

He argues that we should go back to geocentrism. Now that's at least consistent in rejecting all modern science!
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:53 PM   #29
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Slartibartfast -- awesome link. This guy may be on to something.

WHAT IF - the Bible teaches a stationary earth (just like everyone agreed it did until Copernican and finally Newtonian "mathematics" scared the churches into thinking that "science" had proof of heliocentricity)?

Oh, yeah, I bet that is exactly how it happened. Copernicus scared the church into thinking the sun was the center of the solar system and Galileo disavowed his beliefs just for the hell of it.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 PM   #30
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Then, again, there is still nothing better than 4 simultaneous 24 hour days.

You are educated stupid.