The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Is this guy a SNOB?

If someone is describing their self in on online personal and he uses the word 'snob' two times in the first two parapgraphs ("I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob" and 'snob' again--but I can't recall just how exactly, but he was trying to impress that he was NO SNOB) does that flash "He's a snob" to you?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

When he really wants to brag about something, but doesn't want to sound like he is bragging, he "apologizes" for being a "snob" ... as if you will believe that he is afraid the quality is possibly a negative one.

You're supposed to be surprised that the quality he described is actually pretty awesome, and he was so totally not bragging about it at all. You're supposed to think "What a great guy, but he's so hard on himself." or "That doesn't make you a snob, you're just an awsome guy!"
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

A snob, maybe. A dolt, probably.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
If someone is describing their self in on online personal and he uses the word 'snob' two times in the first two parapgraphs ("I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob" and 'snob' again--but I can't recall just how exactly, but he was trying to impress that he was NO SNOB) does that flash "He's a snob" to you?
No. Does that make me sound like a snob?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Shawnee123

ohhhhhhhh, Spexx, you're the snobbiest! Swoon!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

maybe he's been called a snob by people in the past and he's mentioning it because of that, OR maybe he's letting you non-chalantly know he's filthy rich but it hasn't gone to his head.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
maybe he's been called a snob by people in the past and he's mentioning it because of that, OR maybe he's letting you non-chalantly know he's filthy rich but it hasn't gone to his head.
Bri? Where is this man? Send him to me, please please please please. I decided I CAN play the part of needy gold digger! Please?????????/
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

mmmm....well, he is rich, ivy league, great taste in art, literature, music (he tells you all this and then says, "I hope I don't sound like a snob...")

He's actually a columnist in our local paper and I just happened to find him on a personals board. The reason I went there (honest!) was b/c his column is about him being a single dad and his woes finding suitable women so I had a feeling he'd be there. He has several pics of himself (one in a tux) and he is handsome...but, he lives in the richest neighborhood of my city and wrote a column about that, too--so, I feel he's going to some pains to let women know just how very swank he is, dahling.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

contact him and find out
Old 08-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

Rich dude's sperm is much tastier, right?
"Mmmm-mmm, rich dude, that's delicious!"
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

well, monster, I sorta did contact him...after his last column about how this woman shut him down (which is bizarre--most women would be gagging for it) I wrote him an email to his newspaper account. It just said, "You've got the right pole, you're just fishing in the wrong pond,"

and yes, people, I did reference the column so he'd know wtf I was talking about.

(why is Flint always mean to me?)

—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 08-29-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: flint is being mean again!!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
..., "You've got the right pole ...
So you've seen him naked?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
So you've seen him naked?
Nah, that's just the way I flirt.

—James Barrie

Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It depends on context maybe... "One of the things I like to do most is to visit exhibitions at art museums. I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob, because I'm really a down-to-earth kind of guy" is not the same as "Once I've finally persuaded my secretary to actually put in a full day's work, and my chauffeur has driven me home in the Rolls, there's nothing I like more than getting my butler to serve up a simple dinner of caviar and Dom Perignon in the smaller dining room. But I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob."

Having said that, using the word twice does have a kind of protesting too much quality about it.

(BTW, when do we get to see your ad, Brianna? Voyeuristic minds want to know.)

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Rich dude's sperm is much tastier, right?
"Mmmm-mmm, rich dude, that's delicious!"
You know, that would explain an awful lot.

Last edited by SteveDallas; 08-29-2007 at 03:03 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
(BTW, when do we get to see your ad, Brianna? Voyeuristic minds want to know.)
I'm not a member of one of those things...I meet men online the old fashioned way: randomly.

You're right about context but he used it after saying stuff like, "The ancient Greeks had it right when they said everything in moderation....I think I know good art, literature and music when I see it (I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob)..." and then again v. shortly after this statement he says 'snob' in an innocuous way again, but twice in the first couple paragraphs..AND he's angling for those Untouchable Women--physicians and lawyers who wear stilettos to work, are free from addictions and can resemble normal women on any given day---all qualities I, sadly, do not possess.

—James Barrie