The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-03-2002, 04:03 PM   #61
Griff
still says videotape

Nickel Creek Rocks!

We went to see Nickel Creeklast night at the new Ice Center at BCC. If we were bluegrass purists we would have been disappointed. We're not and we were not. They're really some kind of jazz/bluegrass fusion band. Chris Thile (mandolin), Sara Watkins (fiddle), Sean Watkins (acoustic guitar), and Some Guy (stand up bass) were all excellent musicians. They played two and a half hours without a playlist doing mostly there own music with the occasional nod to musical influences like the bit of speed Dylan they covered and a quick Cobain flyby. Thile has been spending time with Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas and has been positively effected. They ended the night with a wonderful version of an 8th century Celtic folk hymn called Slane, which we occasionally butcher at Mass. They noodled around classic Celtic tunes like As I Roved Out and Saint Annes Reel. I can play both these tunes (badly) but never conceived the variational possibilities they rolled out, it was wonderfully mind expanding and a little humbling. The musicians had fun, you could feel it in the music, see it in their interplay, and hear it in their chit chat. Very funny bunch of extremely talented kids. If you like acoustic music you must see this band.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:46 AM   #62
warch
lurkin old school

Great! I'm glad you went. Sounds like a terrific show- they made the tunes their own, and the fun was contagious. (Particularly with Guy on bass. he's my favorite. Related to Buddy, right? He sure gets a lot of gigs these days. )

I need to scan the calendars for a fun show. Maybe NC is heading west (?).
Although lately, most entertainment has centered around Wild hockey.(See this segue works because of the BCC ice arena connection.) Last week it was an emotionally exhausting 2 overtime wins within 3 days, Avs and Sharks no less. For an expansion team, these are the highs. They come early in the season.

This just in: I'd like to know how to play the accordion. I think it would be a handy skill.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:35 AM   #63
Griff
still says videotape

Well looky what I found!

Nickel Creek will play Dec 8 Minneapolis, MN: The Quest, 110 North Fifth Street
What kind of venue is that?

I see they're playing Portland ME, gotta call my bud up there.

Accordian!?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:22 PM   #64
warch
lurkin old school

Well cool. The quest is a big multiplex kinda place, main stage is a large but not too large room, and I think a smaller (more for acoustic) venue inside. Its right downtown in a converted warehouse. I will investigate.

Portland! I spent a great week of my 20th year there eating lobster and hiking rocks.

The accordion thing may get hung up on my lack of musical ability. or maybe it can work for me.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:53 AM   #65
Griff
still says videotape

No talent worked for Weird Al but listeners may prefer you going the Flaco Jimenez route.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:04 PM   #66
warch
lurkin old school

So I'm doing a little scouting ..I'm not just talking accordion here, I'm almost taking action. Learning an instrument, like a language is good for the aging brainpan. (even if it may jeopardize the domestic calm!) Anyway, I'm surfing around for lessons and find that my Minneapolis accordion headquarters is in a classic, reused White Castle. (I thought it would pull at Syc's heartstrings, the vending of sliders is still intown but has moved to more modern facilities).

Then I found my timing perfect for the big Nord East Accordion Festival, which is scheduled this weekend at Kramarczuks, the famous house of sausages and smoked pork treats, blocks from my home.

One of the best things about accordion is the many styles possible- yes Cajunto, but also celtic, cajun/ zydeco, swing, tango. Lets see if I can find a cheap squeeze box...
Old 11-05-2002, 05:42 PM   #67
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sweet! I haven't seen an old-school White Castle like that since they tore the last one down in St. Louis back in the mid-80s.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:00 PM   #68
Griff
still says videotape

So Warren T lays down the rhyme, warch carries the mood and I make a killing in the black beret market. nice

edit dulp rhymn? and jag gets job checking the copy fer spellin

Last edited by Griff; 11-05-2002 at 07:04 PM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 09:21 AM   #69
warch
lurkin old school

What is your choice of weapon? Is it 'round midnight when the market is bustling with the sale of illegal hats?

When did this turn into a crime drama?
Old 11-06-2002, 09:56 AM   #70
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
What is your choice of weapon? Is it 'round midnight when the market is bustling with the sale of illegal hats?

When did this turn into a crime drama?
Bravado. I suppose so.

Second stanza.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:41 AM   #71
warch
lurkin old school

Made me think of the tune "Stone Cold Dead in the Market". (calypso beat)
Old 11-06-2002, 01:21 PM   #72
Griff
still says videotape

Does Mr. Warch live in fear of the frying pan?
Old 11-06-2002, 03:28 PM   #73
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

"My girlfriend's mad...she's got the frying pan..."--The Urge
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:52 PM   #74
warch
lurkin old school

I'm a happy guy as the miles go by
there aint too much that I'm missin'.
But I gotta wife with a fryin' pan
and when she talks I listen.

- Jr. Brown - Broke Down South of Dallas
Old 11-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #75
warch
lurkin old school

Junior Brown, Wednesday at First Ave. I'm there.