The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The Bible Is Bullshit

Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Hey look I can post some random series of videos without any of my own commentary accompanying them too! Just like RK used to! We're following in the footsteps of greatness here d00d!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Did the videos I posted seem random to you? Perhaps they wouldn't if you had actually watched them.

The videos I posted were in line with the topic, funny, clever, insightful, witty, and true.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think the 'commentary' exists in the title. I enjoyed the videos.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Yes they seemed random to me and I actually did watch them, I enjoy Penn & Teller and George Carlin. Thread creation in a discussion forum 101: you should do so by presenting a topic, spelling out the facts, and then give your own opinion preferable outlining your own arguments as justification, not just regurgitating someone else's thoughts with nothing to add of your own. IMO anyway, threads like this are exactly the reason rk is no longer with us, pointless threads where all he did was act as a mouthpiece to other people's thoughts that he agreed with adding little to no original thought to it, then acted as if he was actually contributing something useful with his posts.

As for the topic apparently at hand, you would be on the floor laughing if you heard some of the stuff people say at my conservative, evangelical university. I laugh and shake my head at it all sometimes. One guy tried to explain to me that the whole universe was made of water and some of it compressed and formed solid matter but not all, so when the Biblical Flood happened, that was excess water from the universe falling onto the earth.. the whole approach of creation science kills me. They start with a conclusion and then seek a hypothesis and "experimentation" to support the conclusion, which is not exactly how the scientific method works last I checked. Arguing that carbon dating is useless, etc. It's also humorous to hear some of their "facts" supporting the idea of Biblical inerrancy instead of infallibility. Thankfully it's mainly the students that go down that path, the professors and doctors in my history department are much more reasonable people, one is even staunch evolutionist which is not what you typically see when one thinks of an evangelical Christian.

Last edited by Bullitt; 12-20-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
One guy tried to explain to me that the whole universe was made of water and some of it compressed and formed solid matter but not all, so when the Biblical Flood happened, that was excess water from the universe falling onto the earth

Thats 'dark ages' thinking!!!

Makes me want to cry.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I just like the thread title. I think that's enough all on it's own.

Just say it. Some people think it and some people don't. Let's get on with our lives.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you think it's bullshit, then don't read it.

I choose not to read romance novels for the same reason.

But I don't take the position that other people shouldn't, nor do I demand that they agree with me.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
busterb
NSABFD

Be nice if ya could get out of the frikin links and have a look at others.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

ooh, look!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
Ruminator
Ohio fisherman

Talking Friendly Rib...

You can tell by the sparkle in their eyes that they sense they owe their existence to a creator. [Rumi said with a twinkle in his own eye] ...

"People never give each other enough credit for their contributions." ... a truer statement was never made.
- contributed by TheMercenary
Ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Radar is so full of shit squirrels from neighboring cities drop out of trees when he passes gas. Give me a break. I'm so tired of the Bible bashing and the gay bashing and the _____ bashing. Why bash? Just be cool and not sweat the small stuff. If you are so hurt you can't go without attacking a group you disagree with, go see a good head shrink and get some meds. You really need it.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Maybe he got tired of hearing how atheists have no moral values, or just that their values are in fact from God without them realising. Granted it was a provocative title...but then Radar is a provocateur, it's part of what he does. Good stuff. Personally, I liked this thread. The title made me laugh.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

I didn't know the Morman thing before, it kinda puts the whole Radar persona in context.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Maybe he got tired of hearing how atheists have no moral values, or just that their values are in fact from God without them realising. Granted it was a provocative title...but then Radar is a provocateur, it's part of what he does. Good stuff. Personally, I liked this thread. The title made me laugh.
My "____ bashing" now includes athiest bashing. Good point.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote