The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
crossflix
Profitable Prophet

building a computer

I am interested in building a computer from scratch, but am i complete beginner. How would i get started? Even things like how to choose which components i need. thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to...complete-guide

PC Part Picker is probably the best resource on these things. You can browse their build guides for something close and get reasonably in the ballpark of what you need.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

But of course the real resource you need is the one you go to when you finish the build, hit the power switch, and nothing powers up. It may be an emotional resource and not available online.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'm sure UT's suggestion is better, but what I used to do is find the latest Ars Technica system guide, and build their performance box. But they've really slowed down on their system guides lately. Plus, they don't actually build the boxes they describe, so there's always the slight chance that a particular video card doesn't fit on a particular motherboard/case (since video cards occasionally are extremely oversized), or some other odd little thing.

I need to put a new computer together myself soon; maybe I'll try PC Part Picker this time.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
crossflix
Profitable Prophet

Ok,that's what i figured, thanks for your help
Old 02-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossflix View Post
I am interested in building a computer from scratch, but am i complete beginner.
That is a best way to start learning how a computer works. And eventually learn how many computer 'experts' have no idea how a computer works.

Building one will not save money. But if building a machine from scratch, and if learning, then appreciate how much better and less expensive a Dell, HP, or Apple really are.

An example - most will recommend a 600 watt (or larger) PSU. Computers typically consume 300 watts max. And often closer to 100 watts most of the time. But most computer assemblers and their 'information sources' do not know how to select a PSU. So you are told to obtain one with twice the wattage. Then help lines are not clogged teaching basic electrical knowledge to the electrically naive.

Most will recommend more fans. One 80 or 120 mm fan is sufficient cooling even when room temperatures exceed 100 degrees F. In fact, operating that assembly in a 100 degree room is a best way to find defective parts before the warranty expires. Again, how to learn from actually building a machine.

If it does not work the first time, then even better. More will be learned.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Take apart and reassemble a working computer, first.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Pamela
Deplorable

Don't do what I did once and forget the dielectric grease under the CPU cooling fan. Everything looks perfect, I closed up the box, set it upright and powered it on.

It began booting, then the fan fell off and the expensive CPU burned out seconds later. DOH!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
glatt

My brother gave my son a Rasberry Pi for Christmas along with a circuit board that can control motors. They powered it on and ran it for a while downloading software and then smelled a slight smell of smoke. My brother touched the processor on the motor control to feel if it was warm, and he burned his finger. Pulled his hand away, and actual flames shot up from the control board's processor. (Small ones, but real flames.) Turns out he had ordered the wrong motor control circuit board to go with the Rasberry Pi. The smell was pretty bad and his finger hurt for a while, and he wound up buying a new different motor control board a few weeks later and sending it to my son.

My son hasn't tried out the new board yet.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My brother gave my son a Rasberry Pi for Christmas along with a circuit board that can control motors ... a slight smell of smoke ... actual flames ...
That uncle. The exciting one. He'll never be forgotten!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
Don't do what I did once and forget the dielectric grease under the CPU cooling fan. Everything looks perfect, I closed up the box, set it upright and powered it on.
Dielectric grease it is not. It is electrically conductive. Therefore too much thermal compound can cause CPU defects.

Had that heatsink fallen off an Intel, then no damage results. That problem exists with AMD processors.

Meanwhile, a heatsink attached without any thermal compound means CPU temperatures should only be single digit degrees higher. An excellent test of whether a heatsink was properly machined.

Selecting a heatsink involves specification numbers such as 'degrees C per watt'. What others recommend is irrelevant compared to spec numbers.

Today, all above is made irrelevant by CPU manufacturers that already attach a best and sufficient heatsink.

An oldtime engineer later (and accurately) said, "If you touch it and don't leave skin, then it is not too hot."
tw is offline   Reply With Quote