Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
coberst
Civil Civilian

Is America a nation at risk?

In 1983, in its landmark report A Nation at Risk, the National Commission on Excellence in Education warned:

"Many 17-year-olds do not possess the 'higher-order' intellectual skills we should expect of them. Nearly 40 percent cannot draw inferences from written material; only one-fifth can write a persuasive essay; and only one-third can solve a mathematics problem requiring several steps."

“The religious believer assigns dignity to whatever his religion holds sacred—a set of moral laws, a way of life, or particular objects of worship. He grows angry when the dignity of what he holds sacred is violated.” Quote from The End of History and the Last Man.

To what does the non believer assign dignity? If the non believer does not assign dignity to rationality, upon what foundation does s/he stand? If the non believer does depend upon rationality for dignity how is it possible that so few know anything about rationality?

Our schools and colleges are beginning to introduce our young people to the domain of knowledge called Critical Thinking. CT (Critical Thinking) is taught because our educators have begun to recognize that teaching a young person what to think is not sufficient for the citizens of a democracy in an age of high technology. CT is an attempt to teach young people how to think. Like the adage about giving a man a fish versus teaching him how to fish, a youngster who knows how to think is prepared for a lifetime rather than for a day.

What about today’s adult? Today’s adult was educated in a time when schools and colleges never gave universal instruction in the art and science of thinking—rationality.

If today’s adult wishes to learn CT s/he must learn it on their own nickel. I think a good read to begin with is this one:

Bertrand Russell on Critical Thinking

“ABSTRACT: The ideal of critical thinking is a central one in Russell's philosophy, though this is not yet generally recognized in the literature on critical thinking. For Russell, the ideal is embedded in the fabric of philosophy, science, liberalism and rationality, and this paper reconstructs Russell's account, which is scattered throughout numerous papers and books. It appears that he has developed a rich conception, involving a complex set of skills, dispositions and attitudes, which together delineate a virtue which has both intellectual and moral aspects. It is a view which is rooted in Russell's epistemological conviction that knowledge is difficult but not impossible to attain, and in his ethical conviction that freedom and independence in inquiry are vital. Russell's account anticipates many of the insights to be found in the recent critical thinking literature, and his views on critical thinking are of enormous importance in understanding the nature of educational aims. Moreover, it is argued that Russell manages to avoid many of the objections which have been raised against recent accounts. With respect to impartiality, thinking for oneself, the importance of feelings and relational skills, the connection with action, and the problem of generalizability, Russell shows a deep understanding of problems and issues which have been at the forefront of recent debate.”

http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Educ/EducHare.htm
coberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coberst View Post
There's no such thing as zero risk. So, yes. America is at risk.

That was an easy one.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Excellent. Nice one glatt. Now that's sorted what else can we talk about?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

People (okay, mostly men in ye olde days) rose to greatness despite having what we would count as no education. Others had such religious learning that it's surprising they even bothered to get out of bed for fear of offending God.

Greatness will out.

Now, what do you think about Fit Flops?
Genuine help to toning, or gimmick which relies mostly on encouraging women to walk more?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
glatt

I had never heard of Fit Flops. I had to google them. So the idea is that they are unstable, so you have to use your leg muscles more when you walk, and you get a workout. Interesting. Kind of like walking in the dry sand on the beach.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Well, I never heard of them, but now I want them! I notice different leg muscles working depending on what kind of shoes I wear to work, so I suppose Fit Flops work to some extent.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Alluvial
Phenomenologist

Fitflops sound gimmicky to me. Kind of like "Dr. Scholl's Exercise Sandals". But if it encourages people to walk more, that's a good thing.

- Louis Adamic
Alluvial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why not just walk silly? That would be a workout.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll take before and after pics of my derriere if you like
I'm a useful control anyway, because I won't be walking any more in them - I walk for up to an hour a day anyway as my primary form of exercise.

Oh - I'm not buying the branded ones.
Soz and all that - just can't afford them.
I'm buying the Avon knock-offs.
Bearing in mind I'm buying them from Mum's (Avon rep) friend I figure this gived me some come-back if I outwalk them within a month.

UT? Because I'm not a 6 foot 4 (or whatever) stick insect.
But I promise I'll do it for you when I reach a similar BMI.
Or take pictures from the hospital, csame difference.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

Don't know if what's-his-name ever reads the replies; but thanks for the link.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
sugarpop
Professor

"Is America a nation at risk?"

Why yes, in soooo many ways...
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I won't wear fit flops because I'll be afraid of offending Al Gore.
Greatness will out.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I had never heard of Fit Flops. I had to google them. So the idea is that they are unstable, so you have to use your leg muscles more when you walk, and you get a workout. Interesting. Kind of like walking in the dry sand on the beach.
The make sneakers based on the same concept - and that's what they say, that it's like walking in sand. If they were cheaper I'd try them.

Quote:
Wearing MBT® is like walking in sand. Unlike most conventional training shoes that only support and cushion your feet, the inherent instability and the unique rolling action of the MBT® sole challenges postural muscles to be more active. This reactive, more supportive muscle action creates good posture and increases shock absorption for all the joints, significantly reducing musculoskeletal compression.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrWnahTiMo
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Coberst has been trying to give the impression that he is an intellectual. He may actually be a sophomore-year psych major. There's something synthetic, artificial, bogus about his postings. I'm seeing textbookish excerpts, but no intellectual engagement on the ideas whatsoever.